World Cup 2018

Meenzer

1 hour ago, Noelie said:

In regard to Kane's stoppage-time goal...……..that was a thoroughly un-deserved 2 points. Tunisia deserved a point after England's pathetic antics in front of goal.

Aye the side with a questionable penalty who showed zero ambition in the match definitely deserved to draw with the team who had numerous chances, at least two good penalty shouts and were the only ones trying to win. 

Edited by Alex
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Alex said:

Aye the side with a questionable penalty who showed zero ambition in the match definitely deserved to draw with the team who had numerous chances, at least two good penalty shouts and were the only ones trying to win. 

Aye, it’s no shock to see the usual suspects talking absolute nonsense. That was a good performance by England, we missed a lot of easy chances but that doesn’t mean we didn’t deserve to win, the reason we had so many to miss is because we dominated the match and carved out a lot of good chances. 

The ref was shite imo, it reminded me of when we played Sheffield Wednesday in the Championship and they just continuously fouled and the ref didn’t book anyone to make them pack it in. The penalty decisions were abysmal as well. 

Overall a good opening match and it’s the most confident and impressive England display at a World Cup for fucking donkeys. Just have to beat Panama now and we’re through in all likelihood which is a great way to start off. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, acrossthepond said:

VAR has been incredibly effective so far. How many penalties would NUFC have won if that system had been in use over the PL era? 

It's almost poetic that England were the team to expose VAR as an opinion-based arseache because I'd have sworn Newcastle would have got there first

5 hours ago, Noelie said:

In regard to Kane's stoppage-time goal...……..that was a thoroughly un-deserved 2 points. Tunisia deserved a point after England's pathetic antics in front of goal.

Are you fucking right in the head? Tunisia were time wasting from the fourth minute when they realised that they couldn't cope with what we had. We dominated that game from front to back; name a save Pickford had to make other than the pen that he almost saved. Tunisia turned up with an anti-football tactic and got rightfully beat.  If England had any kind of direct plan B, we'd have won that game 10 minutes earlier but they never stopped. And, as fans of Rafa's Newcastle, we can all appreciate that. Southgate's subs were fully focused on height because he knew they were poor at set pieces and tbf, that might be the greatest moment of his career. Give credit to Maguire for bullying and winning every header he challenged for. I say, play the second string against a Panama side with a high line and then try to turn over a sub-par Belgium

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Kid Dynamite said:

The lack of a plan B is worrying. Game was crying out for Shelvey for the last 20mins. Also thought Lascelles was better than all 3 CBs on show

I thought Maguire did well stepping out nd being the extra option in midfield 

12 minutes ago, Kid Dynamite said:

A better team would have punished him tripping over the ball on the edge of the box. Not saying he's a bad player, just feel Lascelles is slightly better

I wasn't really saying he was great or anything. Just he took the responsibility of being the one who became the extra man in midfield when we had possesion and he was almost always an option then. He used the ball quite well, keeping it simple. I love Lascelles fwiw but I wonder if Southgate thinks those 3 who played last night are better on the ball and wants players who can bring it out from the back in that system. I'm not sure I agree with that but I'm trying to see it from the manager's point of view. I also get the feeling he'd settled on a squad a while back and it would've taken something exceptional or fitness issues for that to change. Again, I can see the logic of that for your first XI and sticking with that (more or less) rigidly, ditto the system of play. Where I feel he's perhaps missed a trick is being too rigid around the squad. I'd probably have taken Lascelles and Shelvey but just throwing them in the mix when they hadn't featured in any of the friendlies was probably a bit too much of a risk for a boring bastard like Southgate.