World Cup 2018

Meenzer

Don't cry for me Argentina. :huh:

Actually have a soft spot for Argentina. Was on a refrigerated ship for 2 years carrying chilled & frozen meat from Buenos Aires to London, was in Buenos Aires every 6 weeks for a few days.

Ran a ships football team and used to get a couple of games in every voyage, usually against the dock police or the customs dept. A lady in the ship's agency office used to set up the fixtures for me and arrange travel to the pitches.

They say a sailor has a girl in every port. Not true, I had 2 in Buenos Aires. :)

• Like 1

One thing I've noticed about this world cup is the lack of an identity. 

Italia 90 was cool as fuck, USA 94 was full on yank, South Africa was dancing fans and vuvuzelas. 

Russia 2018 is just non descript concrete stadiums and shit loads of flies 

Argentina just don't make sense.

How can a coach like Sampaoli, who is no mug, have that set of players available and have them out playing with no discernible plan whatsoever.

Even "Just give it to Leo" would make more sense than the non-entity that has shown up where Argentina should be this World Cup.

Hows Caballero playing for them when someone like Geronimo Rulli isn't even in the squad? 

I watched Croatia last night and it's years since I got as involved in a game as much not involving England or Newcastle.  It was blissful.  Croatia were so well organised and Messi didn't really get a kick, I was thinking why don't Spanish teams do what they did, with 2 and 3 around him every time he got the ball, well thinking about it, the answer is they do but they're not as good as Croatia.  Magnificent stuff which will live long in the memory, well it probably won't with my fucked up heed!  Great stuff though.  The World Cup hasn't been at all bad so far and the genuinely good thing for your Colombia's, Croatia's and England's is based on the first 8 days of competition anyone remotely decent has a chance in this tournament.

1 hour ago, Andrew said:

Argentina just don't make sense.

How can a coach like Sampaoli, who is no mug, have that set of players available and have them out playing with no discernible plan whatsoever.

Even "Just give it to Leo" would make more sense than the non-entity that has shown up where Argentina should be this World Cup.

Hows Caballero playing for them when someone like Geronimo Rulli isn't even in the squad? 

There must be better central midfielders as well. Mascherano is completely finished and there wasn’t much better on the bench

6 minutes ago, Ayatollah Hermione said:

There must be better central midfielders as well. Mascherano is completely finished and there wasn’t much better on the bench

You'd think so but I think they really are suffering a lack of them at the moment, there are only Lucas Biglia and Lanzini missing, both hardly lighting the world up but pretty much dead certs to start until their injuries.

Pastore maybe but he just wasn't called up.

if that's a dive, neymar has to be booked. 

VAR showing how so much in football is down to interpretation. some refs would have given that, even on review. 

Come on man, that was contact only of the "Close Encounters" kind. That was a stone cold dive, a blatant attempt to win a late, likely game-winning penalty in a game Brazil have been poor in. I'd like to see a retrospective ban for that, it brings the game into disrepute.