World Cup 2018

Meenzer

41 minutes ago, Alex said:

We’ve Got a fucking abysmal record in knockout stages in the World Cup and the Euros. I’d be pleased if we made the semis. I tend to agree it’s a fairly open tournament though, even before Spain lost

Does that matter though? I know there are historical records and bogey teams and all that but when the team is walking out there does what the side did ten years ago affect their performance?

50 minutes ago, ewerk said:

Does that matter though? I know there are historical records and bogey teams and all that but when the team is walking out there does what the side did ten years ago affect their performance?

I just have very low expectations based on history. Ditto the Toon tbh 

Understandably so given the failures of the past with seemingly promising squads.

I do wonder though how much psychology and knowledge of the past plays in these failures or if it’s just present day pressures that get too much.

Which is why Southgate has been rightly applauded for bringing a squad of players largely uninvolved with prior tournament defeats.

This has been a proper game. Very little dirty fouling, fake crying, rolling around on the floor, making the VAR sign, and other bullshit. I like the look of Poulsen too, he's a player who causes a lot of trouble and covers a lot of ground. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, acrossthepond said:

This has been a proper game. Very little dirty fouling, fake crying, rolling around on the floor, making the VAR sign, and other bullshit.

Aye, totally agree.

It's been very exciting for a match that is 95% of a goalless draw.

I think the Danes have edged it and I hope they win in extra time.

24 minutes ago, acrossthepond said:

This has been a proper game. Very little dirty fouling, fake crying, rolling around on the floor, making the VAR sign, and other bullshit. I like the look of Poulsen too, he's a player who causes a lot of trouble and covers a lot of ground. 

Yes, well said. 

The new rules state that deliberate fouls should still merit red cards even if the penalty is awarded. I think that qualified as a deliberate foul. Of course Jorgenson was trying to get the ball, but he launched himself recklessly into a tackle he had almost no chance of winning and I feel it was every bit as much a professional foul as Solskjaer's against Rob Lee, i.e. a desperate attempt to prevent a certain goal. Even more certain considering the keeper was already beaten in this case. Red card for me. 

11 minutes ago, acrossthepond said:

The new rules state that deliberate fouls should still merit red cards even if the penalty is awarded. I think that qualified as a deliberate foul. Of course Jorgenson was trying to get the ball, but he launched himself recklessly into a tackle he had almost no chance of winning and I feel it was every bit as much a professional foul as Solskjaer's against Rob Lee, i.e. a desperate attempt to prevent a certain goal. Even more certain considering the keeper was already beaten in this case. Red card for me. 

Aye, I thought that was the rule and agree it's a red.  Good ref overall though I think.