World Cup 2018

Meenzer

Couple of good WC pieces on the Blizzard that I'd missed, this on West Germany and that match in 1982, and this on the 1994 tournament (which is still one of my absolute favourites, but I suppose anything that happens in your younger years tends to be).

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Meenzer said:

Couple of good WC pieces on the Blizzard that I'd missed, this on West Germany and that match in 1982, and this on the 1994 tournament (which is still one of my absolute favourites, but I suppose anything that happens in your younger years tends to be).

Excellent! 1982 was my first World Cup, but I was just excited about the Brazilian team and didn’t care about the German team. I was not upset when we lost the final but when Brazil went out.

Just now, Isegrim said:

Excellent! 1982 was my first World Cup, but I was just excited about the Brazilian team and didn’t care about the German team. I was not upset when we lost the final but when Brazil went out.

Exactly the same. First World Cup I can remember too and England went out after drawing with Spain in the evening but Brazil going out (iirc) earlier that afternoon had me absolutely gutted :lol: England, less so

1 hour ago, Ant said:

Got any email there from. Helen at itv about talking on good morning Britain Friday 

"to represent Newcastle fans and talk England! After tomorrows result" 

Oh I'll talk England alright Helen :lol:

Hope you forwarded that email on to @The Fish :D 

• Haha 1

Curious on thoughts.. Southgate.

Nice bloke. Done a great job so far with a young team, definitely helped with his knowledge of them all from their younger age coaching..

Do you think in future he can make it in the premier league? Or is England his best place?

He didn’t have such a good time at Boro , but then he’d just finished playing..

4 minutes ago, zerosum said:

Curious on thoughts.. Southgate.

Nice bloke. Done a great job so far with a young team, definitely helped with his knowledge of them all from their younger age coaching..

Do you think in future he can make it in the premier league? Or is England his best place?

He didn’t have such a good time at Boro , but then he’d just finished playing..

He makes me think of Löw in a way, someone who isn't obviously suited to club management but might be the right character to quietly and effectively guide a bunch of disparate players at national level. 

Or he might just have got incredibly lucky. Also like Löw. :D

• Haha 2

England have had some luck for a change. Strikes me the biggest factor though is that Southgate is England's first manager to have played at the top level in the modern era, i.e. the premier league. He understands these mostly unsung  lads, knew the blend for a good squad, knew how important set pieces could be etc... 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, PaddockLad said:

England have had some luck for a change. Strikes me the biggest factor though is that Southgate is England's first manager to have played at the top level in the modern era, i.e. the premier league. He understands these mostly unsung  lads, knew the blend for a good squad, knew how important set pieces could be etc... 

Aye, that’s a good point. I wonder if that was the thinking behind getting the likes of Beckham and Neville in and around the squads but their coaching wasn’t up to it. Or whatever it was Beckham was there to do. 

1 hour ago, Meenzer said:

He makes me think of Löw in a way, someone who isn't obviously suited to club management but might be the right character to quietly and effectively guide a bunch of disparate players at national level. 

Or he might just have got incredibly lucky. Also like Löw. :D

But unlike Low, he doesn’t like to sniff his own balls in front of the world’s cameras and think he can get away with no one noticing. 

• Like 1

Wonder if it'll be better for England to lose this one to go into the easier side of the draw in the next round.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Dr Gloom said:

But unlike Low, he doesn’t like to sniff his own balls in front of the world’s cameras and think he can get away with no one noticing. 

Yet.