World Cup 2018

Meenzer

1 minute ago, ewerk said:

You got further than you could ever have dreamed.

Cheer up you miserable cunt.

If any of the teams we've played in the KOs had put us out in the last 16 there'd be fume. How the draw fell meant we got a dream run the the semis, a dream semi and knocked out. The semi element masking the obvious flaws.

I have to place a lot of blame on Southgate for his persistence in starting Sterling, Dele Ali, and Lingard.

Also blame him for not making changes when it was obvious the tide had turned against us and as manager he needed to change the game.

Game should have been put to bed in the first half.

Ah well, hopes dashed again, might not be around for the next one, my sell-by, best-by dates are long gone, only the expiration date is viable.:)

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, TheGingerQuiff said:

Not really given it much thought. Just somebody modestly talented would be an upgrade. 

Yeah, I know, but we've tried that. Didn't work. Achieving semi-finals of the world cup is the best we've done since 1990, 28 years, under Robson.

Give him a chance in the euros before we sack him off and go round the merry go round again. Not that I give a shit like, tbh. 

Sterling has grown into the tournament and was excellent in the first half, Lingard has been one of England's best players.

Alli is a cunt so I can't judge him remotely objectively.

Your use-by date clearly far gone on the old noggin anyway ;)  but I hope you're with us for many more.

Well, unlike you lot I've really enjoyed this world cup overall, its been great to have a supportable England team again and who knows, might actually look to the nations league and qualification for the euros with some enjoyment in mind.

It feels a far cry from the gerrard/lampard/rooney/terry era now and thank god for that.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, beatty said:

Hope we can bin off Southgate and appoint someone who knows how to manage a game/squad.  

Fucking hell; give him some time.

3 minutes ago, Renton said:

Yeah, I know, but we've tried that. Didn't work. Achieving semi-finals of the world cup is the best we've done since 1990, 28 years, under Robson.

Give him a chance in the euros before we sack him off and go round the merry go round again. Not that I give a shit like, tbh. 

See that's the semi final element clouding your judgement. We came unstuck as soon as we played a semi-capable side. A capable manager would have had us in the final with that draw/pool of players. Opportunity wasted

Just now, Ant said:

Itv turned on them quick enough lol 

RTÉ pundits were on their side for most of it though they thought Croatia deserved in on balance.

The reaction to this may well be the reason it's hard for people (including reasonable English people) to get behind them.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, TheGingerQuiff said:

See that's the semi final element clouding your judgement. We came unstuck as soon as we played a semi-capable side. A capable manager would have had us in the final with that draw/pool of players. Opportunity wasted

Which is why none of the managers you've had in 20 years have done anything with an England side.

ETA:  I think it was Andrew who mentioned the golden balls generation.  This squad (and player pool) is considerably worse, so what's made the difference?

Edited by adios
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, adios said:

Fucking hell; give him some time.

He's been a manager for 12 years and won fuck all.  And this is the England job, you'd don't have time to improve. 

His midfield game changer was Eric fucking Dier. 

Alli, Lingard and Kane could all easily have been replaced. 

Croatia played football so good luck to them. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, TheGingerQuiff said:

(and lost against)

You're either on the wind-up or you need to go have a good cry to get it out of your system.

8 minutes ago, Andrew said:

Well, unlike you lot I've really enjoyed this world cup overall, its been great to have a supportable England team again and who knows, might actually look to the nations league and qualification for the euros with some enjoyment in mind.

It feels a far cry from the gerrard/lampard/rooney/terry era now and thank god for that.

Congratulations, Andrew. You’ve won the only realistic England fan on here tonight award.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, adios said:

You're either on the wind-up or you need to go have a good cry to get it out of your system.

Why because I haven't forgiven all of his shortcomings because he beat Columbia and Sweden? You're right, hopefully he replaces Benitez.

He's a wanker. If he's there in 2 years the squad will me 95% the same. He showed that you can't play your way into his clique. He picked his favourites, beat some shite on pens, beat a poor Sweden and lost to a country with 5% our population. Now he's a hero. Nice guy though and SEMIS SO YEAHHHH

8 minutes ago, beatty said:

He's been a manager for 12 years and won fuck all.  And this is the England job, you'd don't have time to improve. 

Didn't he win the league cup at Boro? Which is more than the likes of Allerdyce has done. And, whisper it, Keegan too. 

1 minute ago, TheGingerQuiff said:

Now he's a hero.

Aye, seems like it. :lol:  

You're not being controversial here, you're reading from the same old tired script.

Just now, adios said:

Aye, seems like it. :lol:  

You're not being controversial here, you're reading from the same old tired script.

Nope the tired script is no passion players not interested etc. The script this time is that the players likeability and an easy run has gotten the country behind a squad which in turn has masked his shortcomings. I'm not sure when that's been the script in the past