World Cup 2018

Meenzer

22 minutes ago, Chronic the Drug Wasp said:

Can't disagree with a lot of what Ginger Quiff has said. This will be the highest point of Southgate and, weirdly, it should have been higher.

I was watching it thinking we'd win it if Rafa was in charge.

Although most people won't see it while Rafa's in charge of lowly Newcastle, I think he's proven in the last couple of seasons that he's still world-class.

No one's going to argue with him being a better manager than Southgate.  Doesn't mean he's not worthy of investing some faith in.

4 minutes ago, Chronic the Drug Wasp said:

I don't believe in Southgate as a manager but this run has ensured him for a while, so in a weird way any progression has been harmed. I honestly think they could have won this under Allardyce.

Are you for real?

you reckon that fat bunging fraud could have got us to the semis? 

1 minute ago, adios said:

Although most people won't see it while Rafa's in charge of lowly Newcastle, I think he's proven in the last couple of seasons that he's still world-class.

No one's going to argue with him being a better manager than Southgate.  Doesn't mean he's not worthy of investing some faith in.

He's enhanced his reputation since Real Madrid in my eyes. My thoughts are that the FA should look beyond this guy. Wenger maybe? 

I haven't the capacity to expound on my thoughts but I will say that Croatia were fucking brilliant in the second half. Which makes the first half, where England didn't give them a kick even more frustrating. 

Still, this is a team that will win a tournament; they'll learn from this, we can add from our, frankly, shockingly good, youth set up and the Euros are there for us. In the end, nobody expected us to be in the final four and they can all hold their heads up high because fuck me, that's a fantastic Croatia team. 

Having said that, I can't fucking wait to shout abuse at Kane and Alli during our first game next season.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Andrew said:

Well, unlike you lot I've really enjoyed this world cup overall, its been great to have a supportable England team again and who knows, might actually look to the nations league and qualification for the euros with some enjoyment in mind.

It feels a far cry from the gerrard/lampard/rooney/terry era now and thank god for that.

Agree with this, also, like Gloom, I’m fucking gutted. It’s sort of nice to be this gutted about England as it shows I give a fuck again. 

We never ever expected to get this far so massively happy with the squad. I’m sorry I don’t understand slagging Southgate off, you can point to not playing top sides but England have struggled to put those sides away for my whole lifetime at tournaments whereas in this one we brushed most of them aside. I also do not understand people having a go at Sterling, I think he’s brilliant and is vital to the team. For me all you have to do is watch the Sweden game back, at no point could they shorten the field and push up properly on us as Sterlings pace terrified them so much they had to keep their defense deep. 

As I say though I’m devastated, but I’m not going to pick faults with the players or coaching staff they have given me the most fun I’ve had watching a tournament with regards to England in my life. 

Croatia showed they have some real class and their experienced played a big part, the ref was yet again a fanny mind and should have been booking them. Well done to them though but I will be rooting for France, partially because I’m a bitter cunt but mainly because of Croatia win it would mean England had a real shot. 

I’m actually excited about the Euros now. I also can’t believe Sam Allardyce was brought up ffs, honestly the press exposing him and getting him the boot are national heroes, if he’d been manager this tournament would have been fucking WANK for England and probably would have more closely resembled that plane spotting twat Hodgsons pathetic tenure. 

• Like 1

Agree with anyone saying they've enjoyed the tournament and are gutted it ended last night. Looking forward to the Euros with some hope as all.

All this shit of instantly turning on the manager and players, just fuck off man, you are the worst.

"Allardyce would have won it" btw. :lol: That is a special kind of reaction.

On 10/07/2018 at 20:21, Ayatollah Hermione said:

I’m laughing at the idea of it being Belgium vs England in the 3rd place playoff with both teams playing the subs again

Nice to have you among us Nostradamus :D

Allardyce's England would have lost to Tunisia, drawn with Panama and Belgium. Rooney would have finished the tournament as our top goal scorer with 2 and the press would have slaughtered Fat Sam.

I thought England played some decent stuff throughout the tournament and some of the squad enhanced their reputations. Reaching the Semi-Finals of the World Cup shouldn't be sniffed at, regardless of the teams faced en route. Other England squads wouldn't have beaten that Colombian side, wouldn't have strolled past Sweden, some wouldn't have got out the group and some wouldn't even have got to the World Cup in the first place.

My wife never gave a shit about football until this tournament, but last night she was kicking every ball and was gutted when England were knocked out. So at least in my case, actually football did come home.

22 minutes ago, The Fish said:

Allardyce's England would have lost to Tunisia, drawn with Panama and Belgium. Rooney would have finished the tournament as our top goal scorer with 2 and the press would have slaughtered Fat Sam.

I thought England played some decent stuff throughout the tournament and some of the squad enhanced their reputations. Reaching the Semi-Finals of the World Cup shouldn't be sniffed at, regardless of the teams faced en route. Other England squads wouldn't have beaten that Colombian side, wouldn't have strolled past Sweden, some wouldn't have got out the group and some wouldn't even have got to the World Cup in the first place.

My wife never gave a shit about football until this tournament, but last night she was kicking every ball and was gutted when England were knocked out. So at least in my case, actually football did come home.

Didn't know you were married. ;)

Isn't that a bit like only drinking at Christmas?

I guess it depends how you look at it. Reaching the semifinals of the world cup sounds impressive, but then look at the results.

Scraped a last minute win against Tunisia.

Slaughtered an awful Panama.

Lost against Belgium

Drew against Colombia, win on pens.

Comfortably beat Sweden.

In the end, comfortably beaten by Croatia, who have a smaller population than Scotland.

So that's W3D1L2 against mainly shit opposition. And not facing one big international side. Okay but as usual England have got carried away.

Edited by Renton

I like Southgate and we will be better for keeping him until at least the euros. The players obviously like him and get what he is trying to do.

Last night was a stretch too far against a more experienced team. Modric and Rakitic against Henderson etc in the midfield was a mis match.

Thought Kane was poor last night and Alli was pretty much all tournament, Trippier was class all tournament and the back three especially stones and maguire were good.

Semi finals with a young squad and manager gives us room to grow so enjoyed it overall

• Like 1

9 hours ago, TheGingerQuiff said:

He's a wanker. If he's there in 2 years the squad will me 95% the same. He showed that you can't play your way into his clique. He picked his favourites, beat some shite on pens, beat a poor Sweden and lost to a country with 5% our population. Now he's a hero. Nice guy though and SEMIS SO YEAHHHH

:wub:

Needs MOAR capslock though!

9 hours ago, Rayvin said:

Do think we should have taken Shelvey and Lascelles though. Walker continues to be an accident waiting to happen in every game for me - picked up a totally pointless booking in this one.

And Shelvey might just have been the link to take England into a position to break them down.

Eh? Walker kept hold of the ball to prevent a quick throw in on the edge of his box. That’s sensible play to me.

And Shelvey wouldn’t have made a difference at the end of that match. England didn’t have the energy to get on the end of any through balls.

50 minutes ago, Renton said:

Didn't know you were married. ;)

Isn't that a bit like only drinking at Christmas?

I guess it depends how you look at it. Reaching the semifinals of the world cup sounds impressive, but then look at the results.

Scraped a last minute win against Tunisia.

Slaughtered an awful Panama.

Lost against Belgium

Drew against Colombia, win on pens.

Comfortably beat Sweden.

In the end, comfortably beaten by Croatia, who have a smaller population than Scotland.

So that's W3D1L2 against mainly shit opposition. And not facing one big international side. Okay but as usual England have got carried away.

Look at the results in 1990. Absolute mince as well. I fucking knew that this would turn into "well we never played anyone decent anyway" as soon as we got knocked out. :lol:

Looking back at the match from this morning it feels like experience told in the end to me.

We worked hard first half but needed to be more than a goal clear by the time our energy waned. Once that wasn't the case Croatias big game players, Modric, Rakitic and Mandzukic, all Champions League winners started to really drive the game in their favour, Modric in particular was absolutely sublime but Rakitic as well just stopped losing the ball at all and our legs had gone.

Vrsaljko started having more and more influence as Young tired, when Rose came on we actually got back in a bit and created again as a result.

They got away with way too many fouls in the first half with the ref bafflingly reluctant to hand out a booking despite Lovren dishing out fouls all over the place, constantly in late and leaving some on Kane ove rand over again.

I don't get this "one shot on target" stat thats going around either, we scored from one, Stones header was cleared off the line and Kane had one saved before he then hit the post.

1 hour ago, Gemmill said:

Look at the results in 1990. Absolute mince as well. I fucking knew that this would turn into "well we never played anyone decent anyway" as soon as we got knocked out. :lol:

We played Holland and Ireland in the group stages, beat Belgium and Cameroon in the knock out stages (who at the time were a good side with Roger Milla), and gave West Germany one hell of a game which we were unlucky not to win. They ended up winning it of course. We had some real world class players then too like Gascoigne, Beardsley and Liniker.

Sorry like but Italia 90 shits over the current world cup. 

Edited by Renton