World Cup 2018

Meenzer

1 minute ago, Gemmill said:

We laboured past Cameroon thanks to Lineker's two penalties, one of which was a dive. 

Stop spoiling the narrative.

I was a medical student in A&E placement in Liverpool during the Ireland match as it happens. There were a lot of split heads and slash wounds to fix up. Was a tense match. The Germany match was England's zenith dince '66 though imo. 

Fucking hell, just realised, we were closer to 66 then than we are to 90 now. Getting old. 

Gareth Southgate your waistcoat is nice...... oh we lost

tera for heros dressed in white.
No plans for final night
Except the final is in the afternoon. bugger
It could have been trashed ambulance in the street it could have been so complete.
Now i sing Three lines on the shirt jewles remain still cleaming.

Talk about football coming home.
Then one night in russia we were strong trippier ready to score and pickford looking at his best hendo certain to put in an adequate midfield display.
We could have been dancing in somewhere else in russia.
Three lines on the shirt jewles remain still cleaming. No more years of hurt.

Cheer up lads :good: 

• Haha 1

TBF, I think England should have stood up and demanded they be put in a harder group.

If you can't understand the larger effects of getting to a World Cup semi-final with a promising young squad who all play for each other, all work hard and all represent what a modern England should look like, then the world has officially passed you by.

• Like 2

England have been mostly decent and at times very good. Too much reliance on the set piece & Kane though. There were bags of goals in Platt, Gazza and Pedro. Dont see that in Lingard,Ali and Henderson. If they'd gone two nil up last night Croatia wouldn't have lived with them. Tbf England were knocked out by the first decent side they played. 

Bit gutted since the game could've been put to bed in the first half but after Croatia scored we capitulated a bit and it looked like penalties at best. I thought the lads played to almost their potential throughout and also had a game plan and a system where everyone knew their role. It was nice to see a side you could care about and be proud of instead of what we've come to expect from England. And the comment about Allardyce cheered me up

3 minutes ago, PaddockLad said:

England have been mostly decent and at times very good. Too much reliance on the set piece & Kane though. There were bags of goals in Platt, Gazza and Pedro. Dont see that in Lingard,Ali and Henderson. If they'd gone two nil up last night Croatia wouldn't have lived with them. Tbf England were knocked out by the first decent side they played. 

I'm not so sure of that tbh, Colombia were just shy(1 point) of Argentina in the qualifiers but if we'd beat them instead we'd be saying it was massive.

Sweden came through Holland, Italy and Germany on their route to the tournament and QF and if we'd played and beat any of them as well as we did Sweden, who proved themselves more worthy of the position than any of those teams, we'd also be delighted to have done them in that manner.

Course it could all have fallen differently but we got where we did on merit, being historically big has counted for very little in this World Cup so what does it matter that it was Colombia and Sweden in the knockouts? We still won those ties and we still have a world cup semi-final to our name, and a world cup penalty shootout win, and most likely a golden boot winner as well.

• Like 1

We shouldn't be comparing with Italia 90 anyway. We should be comparing with the last World Cup where we were out after literally a week, and the last Euros where we got pumped off Iceland. This is ridiculous progress with those two performances as context.

• Like 4

I'll say it again, Germany got to the 2002 final after beating Paraguay, the USA and South Korea in the knockout rounds. Won all three games 1-0. Reckon they spent all their time self-flagellating over whether they "deserved" to be there? :lol: 

• Like 2

They were very reliant on set pieces it has to be said. Nowt wrong with that as such but it underlines how there was a lack of traditional creativity in midfield. 

32 minutes ago, Andrew said:

I'm not so sure of that tbh, Colombia were just shy(1 point) of Argentina in the qualifiers but if we'd beat them instead we'd be saying it was massive.

Sweden came through Holland, Italy and Germany on their route to the tournament and QF and if we'd played and beat any of them as well as we did Sweden, who proved themselves more worthy of the position than any of those teams, we'd also be delighted to have done them in that manner.

Course it could all have fallen differently but we got where we did on merit, being historically big has counted for very little in this World Cup so what does it matter that it was Colombia and Sweden in the knockouts? We still won those ties and we still have a world cup semi-final to our name, and a world cup penalty shootout win, and most likely a golden boot winner as well.

All that's fair enough but this has been a world cup where there hasn't been 3-4 teams with 3-4 "world class" players, or maybe those players from Germany, Brazil & Argentina etc just didnt perform. That's one of the reasons England got this far tbf. They should be pleased with performances as they're far better than the parcel of shit that was served up by England in 2014 & 2016. 

Edited by PaddockLad

10 minutes ago, adios said:

No they spent all their time self-flagellating because they're kinky bitches.

This! They love it.

I don't think a bit of introspection is a bad thing, it's about managing expectations and hopefully addressing weaknesses. Which I expect is exactly what Germany are going now after their worst world cup ever. 

22 hours ago, PaddockLad said:

So am I....the old boy had the temerity to croak it last month...slap bang in the middle of the group stages... I ended up a bit distracted by it all and didnt transfer Harry Kane into my dream team before the Panama game. I was top going in to that weekend ,5th now :(

14 hours ago, Howay said:

Sorry to hear about your loss PL mate, I lost my mother recently and had a really rough time of it. 

As far as this match goes I think England have played well, Croatia are always going to pose a problem as they have some real class but we seem to be handling it well. The late pressure from Croatia is expected with the way England play, we seem to play in bursts of high energy before a bit of a lull. 

Really sorry to hear about that lads, my old dear getting cancer shook me up a bit too. 

It's a real progress for England from where they were so that's a positive no doubt and for 30 mins Croatia looked a beaten team but the ex players at halftime also got carried away in my opinion as you could see the tide starting to turn before HT and there was only one team going to win that and it wasn't England. The Quiff isn't totally wrong either and sometimes the truth's usually somewhere in between. They did well to get there is the bottom line though as nothing is guaranteed in tournaments as we've all seen in this and other world cups and euros. As far as comparisons to Italia 90, give ower, man! :lol: Different players and circumstances, different times and a different game almost. Much preferred the 90 England but I was only just left school not a middle aged bloke so that's always going to be better tbf. :D

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, NJS said:

They were very reliant on set pieces it has to be said. Nowt wrong with that as such but it underlines how there was a lack of traditional creativity in midfield. 

This is true. You’re relying on Alli, Lingard and Sterling to create chances and they didn’t. Alli and Sterling were particularly disappointing. Southgate isn’t above criticism and his persistence with these two maybe made the difference in getting to the final.

Saying that there weren’t a great deal of alternatives. Rashford perhaps could have started ahead of Sterling but there’s no obvious replacement for Alli. 

All in all though it was a real achievement for England to get this far. I have doubts on whether they can build on it at the Euros but they’ve two years to develop and a lot can happen in that time.

15 hours ago, Howay said:

Sorry to hear about your loss PL mate, I lost my mother recently and had a really rough time of it. 

As far as this match goes I think England have played well, Croatia are always going to pose a problem as they have some real class but we seem to be handling it well. The late pressure from Croatia is expected with the way England play, we seem to play in bursts of high energy before a bit of a lull. 

My condolences too, mate.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, ewerk said:

This is true. You’re relying on Alli, Lingard and Sterling to create chances and they didn’t. Alli and Sterling were particularly disappointing. Southgate isn’t above criticism and his persistence with these two maybe made the difference in getting to the final.

Saying that there weren’t a great deal of alternatives. Rashford perhaps could have started ahead of Sterling but there’s no obvious replacement for Alli. 

All in all though it was a real achievement for England to get this far. I have doubts on whether they can build on it at the Euros but they’ve two years to develop and a lot can happen in that time.

Loftus-Cheek did well when he came on - I couldn't see why he preferred Alli who was carrying an injury in the subsequent games. 

11 minutes ago, ewerk said:

i think sterling had a good tournament actually, in terms of all round play, just poor in front of goal.