World Cup 2018

Meenzer

he stretched defenders and kept getting into dangerous positions, only to be let down by his finishing, or decision making. he reminds me a lot of bellamy. never going to be prolific but he works tirelessly for the team. the criticism of him throughout the turnament seemed wildly overblown. i don't think it was a huge coincidence, that we had much less of an attacking threat when rashford came on. he is arguably a better finisher but he doesn't work the channels in the same way.  

Think Sterling did alright and the criticism was way OTT but it's definitely a case of what might have been, i.e. if him, Kane and Alli had been in top form

2 minutes ago, ewerk said:

Yeah so he was fast and that was about it. I don’t think it’s OTT to say that he had a bad tournament compared to the standards he’s set himself.

Wasn't aimed at you btw, just the general feeling so many people seem to have it in for him

We must have posted at the same time because mine was in response to Gloom.

The coverage of Sterling has of course been disgusting by the media in the run up to the tournament. It’s a pity he wasn’t able to ram it down their throats with a couple of performances.

He wasn’t terrible, he just didn’t do much for me but the same can be said of Lingard, Alli and Kane. Though in Kane’s case he wasn’t getting much service rather than fluffing chances.

• Like 2

I think Southgate is in a bit of a shit position now mind. He’s already getting a bit of stick because of the whole “we didn’t play anyone craic”, I get they weren’t the big name teams but these were games England sides of the past would get fuck all from. To add to that I think we’ll also be back to the unrealistic expectations of the past for the Euros, with dickheads like the Sun vehemently attacking the coaching staff and players while demanding they win the whole thing. 

I’d keep the bloke through the next World Cup unless there’s some fucking disaster or serious regression. I think you have to give him the chance to learn and grow a bit along with this group of players, there’s absolutely nothing to be gained from chucking him and bringing in an older foreign manager iyam (you only need to look at Capellos cuntishness to see the possible issues there). 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Howay said:

I think Southgate is in a bit of a shit position now mind. He’s already getting a bit of stick because of the whole “we didn’t play anyone craic”, I get they weren’t the big name teams but these were games England sides of the past would get fuck all from. To add to that I think we’ll also be back to the unrealistic expectations of the past for the Euros, with dickheads like the Sun vehemently attacking the coaching staff and players while demanding they win the whole thing. 

I’d keep the bloke through the next World Cup unless there’s some fucking disaster or serious regression. I think you have to give him the chance to learn and grow a bit along with this group of players, there’s absolutely nothing to be gained from chucking him and bringing in an older foreign manager iyam (you only need to look at Capellos cuntishness to see the possible issues there). 

They'll give up in a few days once someone makes a big money transfer at club level or something.

Southgate will get the Euros and, barring a total disaster, another World Cup before hes under any danger of having to go.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ewerk said:

We must have posted at the same time because mine was in response to Gloom.

The coverage of Sterling has of course been disgusting by the media in the run up to the tournament. It’s a pity he wasn’t able to ram it down their throats with a couple of performances.

He wasn’t terrible, he just didn’t do much for me but the same can be said of Lingard, Alli and Kane. Though in Kane’s case he wasn’t getting much service rather than fluffing chances.

I think that’s fair. I thought he was good but fell short of his club form, mind he’s surrounded by more talented players at club level. I think I’m a little more disappointed with Dele and Lingard but again I’m being a little harsh if I say that as they all performed closer to their club level than England players of the recent past. 

We did better than anyone thought we'd do, fuckin hell Sven's cowardly bunch would've lost on pens to Colombia.  It is by far the worst England squad that have ever been to a World Cup and they got to the Semi Finals.  They were brave as fuck, Maguire summed the whole World Cup up for us.  He's nee Rio Ferdinand, Woodgate or Beckenbauer but fuck me the lad deserves all the praise in the world for his effort, and for me fuck Kane, he was our player of the tournament.  Grew up in a Yorkshire council house never looked like leaving Sheffield, and he was MOTM 3 times for me.  Proud of England, very average on paper, but they gave everything they've got.  Anyway Newcastle are like an 8 on its side in terms of how more important they are than England, that is a genuine fact. 

Alli was shite from start to finish and I'm not having any of this ' injury' nonsense affecting his play.The same goes for Kane's ' injury' and Trippier's ' injury'.Has an England player ever had a poor World Cup because ' injuries ' have been  used as excuses for both Beckham and Rooney being shit in previous World Cups.

What exactly did Lingard bring to the party.VAR has good and proper fucked up Alli's game.His blatant dives in the box have been forced from his game. He was  on his way down last night before contact was made for the free kick which England scored from.The media went way over the top,reference NOT criticising the players.Fuck playing darts with players .

1 hour ago, ewerk said:

Yeah so he was fast and that was about it. I don’t think it’s OTT to say that he had a bad tournament compared to the standards he’s set himself.

nah, his game is about more than pace. he makes intelligent runs, and defenders fear him. croatia were way happier after we took him off last night, i reckon. the disappointment for me was that he wasn't able to silence his critics with a goal or two because other than that, he was a handful. 

this england team always looked imbalanced to me - lots of runners but no playmaker to pick them out. we'll never know if shelvey coming on from the bench would have made a difference but given the lack of creativity, we needed goals from sterling and more from ali, who looked half-fit all tournament to me. lingard and henderson both impressed me more than i thought they would. and unlike essembee, i had a feeling pickford would impress. 

i remember seeing the squad when it was announced and thinking it was the worst on paper of my lifetime so you have to credit southgat for getting them to buy into what he was trying to do and get to the semis. they have massively overachieved, easy draw or not. 

Can’t fault his decision to play an unchanged side after the Sweden game, but disappointed he didn’t make a bold decision at half time and do something about our attacking midfield. It was pretty apparent near midway through first half that we weren’t gonna get much from open play. Probably loftus cheek for ali at half time would have been a decent switch 

7 minutes ago, essembeeofsunderland said:

Alli was shite from start to finish and I'm not having any of this ' injury' nonsense affecting his play.The same goes for Kane's ' injury' and Trippier's ' injury'.Has an England player ever had a poor World Cup because ' injuries ' have been  used as excuses for both Beckham and Rooney being shit in previous World Cups.

What exactly did Lingard bring to the party.VAR has good and proper fucked up Alli's game.His blatant dives in the box have been forced from his game. He was  on his way down last night before contact was made for the free kick which England scored from.The media went way over the top,reference NOT criticising the players.Fuck playing darts with players .

trippier was probably our best player in the tournament, alongside maguire and your man pickford. 

lingard scored our best goal. 

Edited by Dr Gloom

Just now, zerosum said:

Can’t fault his decision to play an unchanged side after the Sweden game, but disappointed he didn’t make a bold decision at half time and do something about our attacking midfield. It was pretty apparent near midway through first half that we weren’t gonna get much from open play. Probably loftus cheek for ali at half time would have been a decent switch 

loftus cheek was unfortunate not to start more games. he looked good when he came on against tunisia. ali looked half fit all tournament. 

• Like 1

Feel like we've got the foundations of something to get behind again, especially with some of the talent that we have coming through. We just need somebody in the middle who can put his foot on the ball and control the tempo when needed.

Hopefully people don't expect too much now and give Southgate time as he's very much still learning at this level too. Onwards and upwards. :up:

• Like 1

Had the misfortune of watching this with a bunch of Jocks as I've been to Arran this week. Proper Mackem/Ant attitude, they didn't even put the sound on the tele in the pub until our national anthem finished man. :lol:

• Haha 4

I went to uni in Scotland, England were playing in a tournament 2002 must have been and I went to watch it in one of the quieter uni bars and a kid turned up in a full Scotland kit to watch England play. He was only there to cause aggro so I mercilessly wound him all game and he got thrown out for trying to fight a lecturer. Small man syndrome.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

57 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

trippier was probably our best player in the tournament, alongside maguire and your man pickford. 

lingard scored our best goal. 

Trippier has been at fault for two goals.Turn the sound off on your tv and then you'll be able to comment having formed your own opinion on Pickford's three dodgy punches last night and spilling shots and/or pushing them back into the danger area in earlier games.When he signed for Everton i was the only person who said he was a dodgy keeper.Making spectacular saves doesn't make a keeper.The media have been waxing lyrically about his spectacular saves.Watch carefully and you'll find every dive he does has to be of the spectacular variety.His poor pushing hasn't yet been anylised,not has his shot-pushing back into the danger area. I Will not course be back on his case this conversion for Everton.I expect you all to be analysing,with the sound turned down.

• Haha 2