World Cup 2018

Meenzer

23 hours ago, Renton said:

Didn't know you were married. ;)

Isn't that a bit like only drinking at Christmas?

I guess it depends how you look at it. Reaching the semifinals of the world cup sounds impressive, but then look at the results.

Scraped a last minute win against Tunisia.

Slaughtered an awful Panama.

Lost against Belgium

Drew against Colombia, win on pens.

Comfortably beat Sweden.

In the end, comfortably beaten by Croatia, who have a smaller population than Scotland.

So that's W3D1L2 against mainly shit opposition. And not facing one big international side. Okay but as usual England have got carried away.

Thing is, we only faced poor opposition because the other big guns failed to get far enough to face us, despite facing the same shit we did. Also, England essentially threw that game against Belgium.

There are many positives to take from this World Cup, not just the feel good factor. The core of that side will be better in 2 years time, plus Foden, Sancho, Sessegnon will likely be in the squad too. 

I think it’s churlish to paint it as a failure or to dismiss the first semi-final in nigh on 30 years. 

In retrospect, I think that if Southgate had been bold and audacious, and made changes at half-time or shortly thereafter, we might have made it to the final.

Half-Time;

Rose in for Young,   Young wasn't having as good a game as he had been in the others.

Rashford in for Sterling.   Sterling was not producing any end product.

55 Minutes;

Cheek in for Dele Ali.   Ali was not up to par, hadn't been throughout the tournament.

60 Minutes;

Vardy in for Kane.   Kane seemed off the boil and not posing much of a threat which might have been lack of service.

Lingard?    not sure who to replace him with but he was a bit anonymous at times.

This should not be construed as negativity towards Southgate but I do believe he should have made earlier changes in order to change the way the game was developing in the second half.

1 minute ago, Dr Gloom said:

As if you replace your top scorer, captain and main penalty taker on the hour :lol:

Aye, I saw some people saying Kane should have been subbed off during extra time, I get that he was tired but honestly at that point you do have to consider penalties. 

3 hours ago, Dr Gloom said:

As if you replace your top scorer, captain and main penalty taker on the hour :lol:

It’s alreet, Noelie would have brought him back on again if it had gone to pens

• Haha 1

England look decent in possession, like in most games, but there does seem to be a bit of a disconnect between the midfield and forward lines as we’ve seen through the tournament. 

Obviously the hope is that by the next World Cup someone like Foden or Sancho are getting regular football and are able to be in the squad to provide that final through ball to give Kane a bit more service. 

Sterling is absolutely fucking terrible, how he plays every game is baffling. 99% of moves break down when he's involved.

Belgium's game is on the break, and England continue to give the ball away and get caught every time. It is simply ridiculous.

Not sure what some people expect tbh. England are a young side without much creativity in the middle of park trying to play a possession game (quite rightly I think). They’ve shown great team spirit, an ability to work to a game plan and performed way above expectation despite their obvious limitations. They weren’t far off making it to the final. If you can’t take the positives out of that you might as well stop watching football. Or become obsessed with Sunderland, which equates to the same thing 

• Like 2