World Cup 2018

Meenzer

Can't say i really rated Henderson either. Apart from one decent forward pass, what did he do?

Possibly reacting to the Croatia game here but when their goal went in our midfield became non-existent. He doesn't impose himself on games nor, as far as i can tell, does he do anything hugely noteworthy. Same as he is with Liverpool...?

Edited by Rayvin

9 hours ago, TheGingerQuiff said:

Not ahead of Henderson? Howa

3 reasons he wouldn’t off the top of my head. He tries too many difficult passes which tend to lose possession more by their very nature. That’s not criticism of him as a player, more why he doesn’t fit in with the possession football Southgate wants to play. Henderson’s athleticism’s important to the team. Shelvey’s nowhere near as good in that respect. International teams sit a lot deeper on the whole than those in the PL, making Shelvey’s long balls over the top a far less effective weapon. 

1 hour ago, Alex said:

3 reasons he wouldn’t off the top of my head. He tries too many difficult passes which tend to lose possession more by their very nature. That’s not criticism of him as a player, more why he doesn’t fit in with the possession football Southgate wants to play. Henderson’s athleticism’s important to the team. Shelvey’s nowhere near as good in that respect. International teams sit a lot deeper on the whole than those in the PL, making Shelvey’s long balls over the top a far less effective weapon. 

I cannot disagree with any of that.

2 hours ago, Alex said:

Aye, until you play the better ones. Which is where we've come unstuck. 

It was a bloody brilliantly tournament for england. The best since Euro 96. Easy draw or not, we advanced by beating the type of teams we have lost to in recent times. We played a new style of positive possession football and we have a likeable manager and group of players. Recent England squad thy contained far more star players lacked the cohesion and spirit that took this side to the semis. Respect due. 

Edited by Dr Gloom

18 hours ago, essembeeofsunderland said:

Note the unnecessary spectacular dive from Thickford for a shot always going over the bar

Made some good saves too - rightly cited by fans and pundits alike as one of it top theee players of the tournament alongside Trippier and Maguire 

14 hours ago, Howay said:

Players generally improve I disagree that it’s a myth. Barkley is just injury prone so would struggle to improve, Sterling has improved imo even at International level but I’m happy to agree to disagree on that one. 

It’s a squad where we had players who got more caps during the tournament than they had before it. Which, as I’ve said, have shown they are better than all previous England teams since at least 2004. 

Southgate is learning as well, this was the blokes first tournament, I’m not willing to just write the bloke off because he made some decisions I disagree with. Capello was a far better manager on paper but he was a fucking joke of an England manager, if we chuck in Southgate at the start of his project we’re back to having no identity and no plan. At the moment we have an identity to build on, we were lacking in some key areas but the talent is in the youth and they’re all playing a similar system to the side which was at the World Cup so it’s creating a potential pipeline. Southgate deserves a lot of credit for that imo. 

Also when saying those sides look forward to their youth talents improve in 4 years, those are the lads England have been brushing aside in the majority of youth tournaments? I know you acknowledge that point later but it sort of makes the point about those teams moot imo. Of course there is always the risk they won’t come through, or that lads like Foden and Sancho won’t get games but what’s the point in being negative about it? 

Of course those sides have more quality, all of them (with the exception of Belgium) have had more quality than us for most of football history. 

You can make pretty much the same point regarding Mbappe kicking on as you can about the England players improving, you’re only one bad injury away from being half the player you were. In 4 years Rashford could improve a lot, look at Kane now compared to his level at the previous World Cup. 

My main point is really that there are positives to this World Cup, we’re a country that two years ago lost to Iceland, four years ago were put out at the group stage by Costa Rica. I just don’t see the point in scratching around for negatives, as ewerk says we may as well pack in watching England if we can’t enjoy that World Cup. 

Well put, massive positives tbh

16 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

Made some good saves too - rightly cited by fans and pundits alike as one of it top theee players of the tournament alongside Trippier and Maguire 

No no no, he was terrible too, and was faking his injury at the end of the croatia game...for some completely inexplicable reason

On paper I’d say we’re outside the ten best teams in the world so to finish 4th has surpassed all expectations. Great tournament and great effort from England 

Kane    Sterling

Lingard.                   Ali

Young.             Henderson.           Trippier

Maguire.      Stones.         Walker

Pickford

Henderson was completely on his own in midfield I don’t think anyone could have done better being that abandoned.

44 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

On paper I’d say we’re outside the ten best teams in the world so to finish 4th has surpassed all expectations. Great tournament and great effort from England 

I agree that we've had a great world cup, are we outside the top ten though?

31 minutes ago, Kevin Carr's Gloves said:

Kane    Sterling

Pickford

Henderson was completely on his own in midfield I don’t think anyone could have done better being that abandoned.

Aye, Maguire and Stones stepped out at times but he had to cover a load of ground, especially against Colombia who were pacey. Even against Croatia, the balls over the top in the first half were working and finding Sterling in dangerous areas. I've never been his biggest fan but you saw a noticeable dip when he went off against Croatia. I think Dier is a good player but you noticed his lack of pace and agility almost immediately.

35 minutes ago, Alex said:

About 12th in the FIFA rankings ore-tournament iirc. Not saying they’re perfect like 

Sounds about right though we may have climbed back into the top ten off the back of this tournament 

3 hours ago, Kevin Carr's Gloves said:

Kane    Sterling

Pickford

Fair tbh.