World Cup 2018

Meenzer

Just now, Park Life said:

I'd go

...............Kane..............

Rashford....Alli......Lingard

Quite like the look of that. He has to find a place for Rashford like.

8 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

We could potentially end up in this group: 

Poland

England

Iran

Saudi Arabia 

We couldn't (Iran/Saudi are same confederation). Replace Saudi with Panama and that's still pretty dross though. :lol: 

5 minutes ago, Alex said:

Quite like the look of that. He has to find a place for Rashford like.

He's quite deadly now cutting in from the left....Sterling has come on this season as well. Kane and Alli have that telepathy.

Edited by Park Life

southgate has rightly taken a load of shit, but is he starting to win over the critics? no one expects much, so I think if he just gets them playing with some purpose and intent, he'll have overachieved 

i like the look of his recent experiment with 3-5-2 and throwing in loads of kids. 

lineup for first game? 

----------------------Pickford

----------Gomez-----Stones---Maguire 

Walker---------------------------------------Rose

----------------Dier------Loftus-Cheek

------------------------Ali

----------------Kane-----Vardy or Rashford

9 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

southgate has rightly taken a load of shit, but is he starting to win over the critics? no one expects much, so I think if he just gets them playing with some purpose and intent, he'll have overachieved 

i like the look of his recent experiment with 3-5-2 and throwing in loads of kids. 

lineup for first game? 

----------------------Pickford

----------Gomez-----Stones---Maguire 

Walker---------------------------------------Rose

----------------Dier------Loftus-Cheek

------------------------Ali

----------------Kane-----Vardy or Rashford

That would have to be the most inexperienced teams England have ever fielded in a World Cup. Not that it would necessarily be a bad thing.

5 minutes ago, ewerk said:

That would have to be the most inexperienced teams England have ever fielded in a World Cup. Not that it would necessarily be a bad thing.

exactly. what's the alternative? continuing with the likes of jones, smalling and wilshere? 

throw in the kids. no one expects whoever starts to do owt. give the kids experience for the next tournament. maybe they'll go into it with that fearless approach rooney had at euro 2004

1 minute ago, Ayatollah Hermione said:

Reckon playing the kids sounds good in theory but not sure they could hack the pressure if they managed to progress. Mind, saying that, neither could the older heads at the last tournaments so I’ve got no idea what to do. 

Mix it up innit. I always look forward to the WC having skillfully erased previous pain from the mind. Sol's disallowed goal etc...

the last few tournaments have been so turbo shit, if he reverts to the likes of wilshere, sturridge etc it'll be hard to feign interest. throwing in the kids at least gives us a wildcard factor - who knows what could happen if you get a favourable draw?

I thought Southgate was an absolutely dreadful appointment, but he's at least called it out how he sees it and given youth a chance (albeit he didn't have a lot of choice).

Playing three at the back means we aren't quite as dreadful at centre-half, and Jones, Stones and one other should do a decent job. Was impressed with Gomez the other night.

Outside of Alli, Sterling's had a great season so far, I still rate Lallana as a class touch, Loftus-Cheeke looks a great prospect and we could play Rashford as an inside forward too, so I don't think our team is quite as bad as it might seem. That said, we'll probably go out at the group stage after a disappointing draw with Saudi Arabia, so at least there's not much pressure on them.

1 minute ago, rogerbarton said:

Even by England's pretty low standards, I'd like to think we're better than a team who scraped past Syria. You're no Iceland :D

England are much better now than 4 years ago whereas I believe Australia are substantially weaker. Anything can happen in the WC though. Form is out the window when certain teams play each other.