Meenzer

World Cup 2018

9 hours ago, TheGingerQuiff said:

He's a wanker. If he's there in 2 years the squad will me 95% the same. He showed that you can't play your way into his clique. He picked his favourites, beat some shite on pens, beat a poor Sweden and lost to a country with 5% our population. Now he's a hero. Nice guy though and SEMIS SO YEAHHHH

:wub:

Needs MOAR capslock though!

9 hours ago, Rayvin said:

Do think we should have taken Shelvey and Lascelles though. Walker continues to be an accident waiting to happen in every game for me - picked up a totally pointless booking in this one.

And Shelvey might just have been the link to take England into a position to break them down.

Eh? Walker kept hold of the ball to prevent a quick throw in on the edge of his box. That’s sensible play to me.

And Shelvey wouldn’t have made a difference at the end of that match. England didn’t have the energy to get on the end of any through balls.

50 minutes ago, Renton said:

Didn't know you were married. ;)

Isn't that a bit like only drinking at Christmas?

I guess it depends how you look at it. Reaching the semifinals of the world cup sounds impressive, but then look at the results.

Scraped a last minute win against Tunisia.

Slaughtered an awful Panama.

Lost against Belgium

Drew against Colombia, win on pens.

Comfortably beat Sweden.

In the end, comfortably beaten by Croatia, who have a smaller population than Scotland.

So that's W3D1L2 against mainly shit opposition. And not facing one big international side. Okay but as usual England have got carried away.

Look at the results in 1990. Absolute mince as well. I fucking knew that this would turn into "well we never played anyone decent anyway" as soon as we got knocked out. :lol:

Looking back at the match from this morning it feels like experience told in the end to me.

We worked hard first half but needed to be more than a goal clear by the time our energy waned. Once that wasn't the case Croatias big game players, Modric, Rakitic and Mandzukic, all Champions League winners started to really drive the game in their favour, Modric in particular was absolutely sublime but Rakitic as well just stopped losing the ball at all and our legs had gone.

Vrsaljko started having more and more influence as Young tired, when Rose came on we actually got back in a bit and created again as a result.

They got away with way too many fouls in the first half with the ref bafflingly reluctant to hand out a booking despite Lovren dishing out fouls all over the place, constantly in late and leaving some on Kane ove rand over again.

I don't get this "one shot on target" stat thats going around either, we scored from one, Stones header was cleared off the line and Kane had one saved before he then hit the post.

:lol: you may as well try, could've tried owt with that ref and had a chance at getting away with it

1 hour ago, Gemmill said:

Look at the results in 1990. Absolute mince as well. I fucking knew that this would turn into "well we never played anyone decent anyway" as soon as we got knocked out. :lol:

We played Holland and Ireland in the group stages, beat Belgium and Cameroon in the knock out stages (who at the time were a good side with Roger Milla), and gave West Germany one hell of a game which we were unlucky not to win. They ended up winning it of course. We had some real world class players then too like Gascoigne, Beardsley and Liniker.

Sorry like but Italia 90 shits over the current world cup. 

Edited by Renton

1 minute ago, Gemmill said:

We laboured past Cameroon thanks to Lineker's two penalties, one of which was a dive. 

Stop spoiling the narrative.

I was a medical student in A&E placement in Liverpool during the Ireland match as it happens. There were a lot of split heads and slash wounds to fix up. Was a tense match. The Germany match was England's zenith dince '66 though imo. 

Fucking hell, just realised, we were closer to 66 then than we are to 90 now. Getting old. 

Gareth Southgate your waistcoat is nice...... oh we lost

tera for heros dressed in white.
No plans for final night
Except the final is in the afternoon. bugger
It could have been trashed ambulance in the street it could have been so complete.
Now i sing Three lines on the shirt jewles remain still cleaming.

Talk about football coming home.
Then one night in russia we were strong trippier ready to score and pickford looking at his best hendo certain to put in an adequate midfield display.
We could have been dancing in somewhere else in russia.
Three lines on the shirt jewles remain still cleaming. No more years of hurt.

Cheer up lads :good: 

• Haha 1

TBF, I think England should have stood up and demanded they be put in a harder group.

If you can't understand the larger effects of getting to a World Cup semi-final with a promising young squad who all play for each other, all work hard and all represent what a modern England should look like, then the world has officially passed you by.

• Like 2

England have been mostly decent and at times very good. Too much reliance on the set piece & Kane though. There were bags of goals in Platt, Gazza and Pedro. Dont see that in Lingard,Ali and Henderson. If they'd gone two nil up last night Croatia wouldn't have lived with them. Tbf England were knocked out by the first decent side they played. 

Bit gutted since the game could've been put to bed in the first half but after Croatia scored we capitulated a bit and it looked like penalties at best. I thought the lads played to almost their potential throughout and also had a game plan and a system where everyone knew their role. It was nice to see a side you could care about and be proud of instead of what we've come to expect from England. And the comment about Allardyce cheered me up

3 minutes ago, PaddockLad said:

England have been mostly decent and at times very good. Too much reliance on the set piece & Kane though. There were bags of goals in Platt, Gazza and Pedro. Dont see that in Lingard,Ali and Henderson. If they'd gone two nil up last night Croatia wouldn't have lived with them. Tbf England were knocked out by the first decent side they played. 

I'm not so sure of that tbh, Colombia were just shy(1 point) of Argentina in the qualifiers but if we'd beat them instead we'd be saying it was massive.

Sweden came through Holland, Italy and Germany on their route to the tournament and QF and if we'd played and beat any of them as well as we did Sweden, who proved themselves more worthy of the position than any of those teams, we'd also be delighted to have done them in that manner.

Course it could all have fallen differently but we got where we did on merit, being historically big has counted for very little in this World Cup so what does it matter that it was Colombia and Sweden in the knockouts? We still won those ties and we still have a world cup semi-final to our name, and a world cup penalty shootout win, and most likely a golden boot winner as well.

• Like 1

We shouldn't be comparing with Italia 90 anyway. We should be comparing with the last World Cup where we were out after literally a week, and the last Euros where we got pumped off Iceland. This is ridiculous progress with those two performances as context.

• Like 4

I'll say it again, Germany got to the 2002 final after beating Paraguay, the USA and South Korea in the knockout rounds. Won all three games 1-0. Reckon they spent all their time self-flagellating over whether they "deserved" to be there? :lol: 

• Like 2

They were very reliant on set pieces it has to be said. Nowt wrong with that as such but it underlines how there was a lack of traditional creativity in midfield. 

No they spent all their time self-flagellating because they're kinky bitches.

32 minutes ago, Andrew said:

I'm not so sure of that tbh, Colombia were just shy(1 point) of Argentina in the qualifiers but if we'd beat them instead we'd be saying it was massive.

Sweden came through Holland, Italy and Germany on their route to the tournament and QF and if we'd played and beat any of them as well as we did Sweden, who proved themselves more worthy of the position than any of those teams, we'd also be delighted to have done them in that manner.

Course it could all have fallen differently but we got where we did on merit, being historically big has counted for very little in this World Cup so what does it matter that it was Colombia and Sweden in the knockouts? We still won those ties and we still have a world cup semi-final to our name, and a world cup penalty shootout win, and most likely a golden boot winner as well.

All that's fair enough but this has been a world cup where there hasn't been 3-4 teams with 3-4 "world class" players, or maybe those players from Germany, Brazil & Argentina etc just didnt perform. That's one of the reasons England got this far tbf. They should be pleased with performances as they're far better than the parcel of shit that was served up by England in 2014 & 2016. 

Edited by PaddockLad

10 minutes ago, adios said:

No they spent all their time self-flagellating because they're kinky bitches.

This! They love it.

I don't think a bit of introspection is a bad thing, it's about managing expectations and hopefully addressing weaknesses. Which I expect is exactly what Germany are going now after their worst world cup ever. 

22 hours ago, PaddockLad said:

So am I....the old boy had the temerity to croak it last month...slap bang in the middle of the group stages... I ended up a bit distracted by it all and didnt transfer Harry Kane into my dream team before the Panama game. I was top going in to that weekend ,5th now :(

14 hours ago, Howay said:

Sorry to hear about your loss PL mate, I lost my mother recently and had a really rough time of it. 

As far as this match goes I think England have played well, Croatia are always going to pose a problem as they have some real class but we seem to be handling it well. The late pressure from Croatia is expected with the way England play, we seem to play in bursts of high energy before a bit of a lull. 

Really sorry to hear about that lads, my old dear getting cancer shook me up a bit too. 

It's a real progress for England from where they were so that's a positive no doubt and for 30 mins Croatia looked a beaten team but the ex players at halftime also got carried away in my opinion as you could see the tide starting to turn before HT and there was only one team going to win that and it wasn't England. The Quiff isn't totally wrong either and sometimes the truth's usually somewhere in between. They did well to get there is the bottom line though as nothing is guaranteed in tournaments as we've all seen in this and other world cups and euros. As far as comparisons to Italia 90, give ower, man! :lol: Different players and circumstances, different times and a different game almost. Much preferred the 90 England but I was only just left school not a middle aged bloke so that's always going to be better tbf. :D

• Like 2