Meenzer

World Cup 2018

Just now, zerosum said:

Can’t fault his decision to play an unchanged side after the Sweden game, but disappointed he didn’t make a bold decision at half time and do something about our attacking midfield. It was pretty apparent near midway through first half that we weren’t gonna get much from open play. Probably loftus cheek for ali at half time would have been a decent switch 

loftus cheek was unfortunate not to start more games. he looked good when he came on against tunisia. ali looked half fit all tournament. 

• Like 1

Just now, Dr Gloom said:

loftus cheek was unfortunate not to start more games. he looked good when he came on against tunisia. ali looked half fit all tournament. 

agree

Feel like we've got the foundations of something to get behind again, especially with some of the talent that we have coming through. We just need somebody in the middle who can put his foot on the ball and control the tempo when needed.

Hopefully people don't expect too much now and give Southgate time as he's very much still learning at this level too. Onwards and upwards. :up:

• Like 1

Had the misfortune of watching this with a bunch of Jocks as I've been to Arran this week. Proper Mackem/Ant attitude, they didn't even put the sound on the tele in the pub until our national anthem finished man. :lol:

• Haha 4

I went to uni in Scotland, England were playing in a tournament 2002 must have been and I went to watch it in one of the quieter uni bars and a kid turned up in a full Scotland kit to watch England play. He was only there to cause aggro so I mercilessly wound him all game and he got thrown out for trying to fight a lecturer. Small man syndrome.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

57 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

trippier was probably our best player in the tournament, alongside maguire and your man pickford. 

lingard scored our best goal. 

Trippier has been at fault for two goals.Turn the sound off on your tv and then you'll be able to comment having formed your own opinion on Pickford's three dodgy punches last night and spilling shots and/or pushing them back into the danger area in earlier games.When he signed for Everton i was the only person who said he was a dodgy keeper.Making spectacular saves doesn't make a keeper.The media have been waxing lyrically about his spectacular saves.Watch carefully and you'll find every dive he does has to be of the spectacular variety.His poor pushing hasn't yet been anylised,not has his shot-pushing back into the danger area. I Will not course be back on his case this conversion for Everton.I expect you all to be analysing,with the sound turned down.

• Haha 2

56 minutes ago, Tooj said:

Had the misfortune of watching this with a bunch of Jocks as I've been to Arran this week. Proper Mackem/Ant attitude, they didn't even put the sound on the tele in the pub until our national anthem finished man. :lol:

I turned over 😂

35 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

:lol: I'm the same with Mrs Brown's Boys tbf.

It's awful like, my folks love it for some reason 

23 hours ago, Renton said:

Didn't know you were married. ;)

Isn't that a bit like only drinking at Christmas?

I guess it depends how you look at it. Reaching the semifinals of the world cup sounds impressive, but then look at the results.

Scraped a last minute win against Tunisia.

Slaughtered an awful Panama.

Lost against Belgium

Drew against Colombia, win on pens.

Comfortably beat Sweden.

In the end, comfortably beaten by Croatia, who have a smaller population than Scotland.

So that's W3D1L2 against mainly shit opposition. And not facing one big international side. Okay but as usual England have got carried away.

Thing is, we only faced poor opposition because the other big guns failed to get far enough to face us, despite facing the same shit we did. Also, England essentially threw that game against Belgium.

There are many positives to take from this World Cup, not just the feel good factor. The core of that side will be better in 2 years time, plus Foden, Sancho, Sessegnon will likely be in the squad too. 

I think it’s churlish to paint it as a failure or to dismiss the first semi-final in nigh on 30 years. 

In retrospect, I think that if Southgate had been bold and audacious, and made changes at half-time or shortly thereafter, we might have made it to the final.

Half-Time;

Rose in for Young,   Young wasn't having as good a game as he had been in the others.

Rashford in for Sterling.   Sterling was not producing any end product.

55 Minutes;

Cheek in for Dele Ali.   Ali was not up to par, hadn't been throughout the tournament.

60 Minutes;

Vardy in for Kane.   Kane seemed off the boil and not posing much of a threat which might have been lack of service.

Lingard?    not sure who to replace him with but he was a bit anonymous at times.

This should not be construed as negativity towards Southgate but I do believe he should have made earlier changes in order to change the way the game was developing in the second half.

1 minute ago, Dr Gloom said:

As if you replace your top scorer, captain and main penalty taker on the hour :lol:

Aye, I saw some people saying Kane should have been subbed off during extra time, I get that he was tired but honestly at that point you do have to consider penalties. 

3 hours ago, Dr Gloom said:

As if you replace your top scorer, captain and main penalty taker on the hour :lol:

It’s alreet, Noelie would have brought him back on again if it had gone to pens

• Haha 1