World Cup 2018

Meenzer

2 minutes ago, Howay said:

Aye “there will be no surprises” in the squad selection Southgate has said, so basically it’ll be in line with recent friendly squads.

Feel bad for Shelvey as the lad looked like he was buzzing when asked about possibly featuring for England after the Chelsea match. The reality is Southgate won’t have even gave him a second thought, which is pathetic. What is even more pathetic is that a horrifically limited player like Jake Livermore will be selected over him. Tbh he’d probably select Wilshere over him despite the lad barely playing a game this season and his issues with injury being likely a bigger issue than bad discipline from Shelvey (as tbh Shelvey hasn’t been bad 2nd half of the season with that and would likely only be a 2nd option but at least he’d be an available plan B unlike sick note). 

Sad but brutally true. Neither Shelvey nor Lascelles will have been given a second thought. Instead some abominable set of cloggers like the aforementioned Livermore or indeed Alfie Mawson, Delph, Michael Keane, or Drinkwater will go. 

• Like 1

Just now, Rayvin said:

Southgate is not a risk taker. At all.

Too emotionally damaged from that penalty miss, I would guess.

Agreed, the daftest part is him (in his mind) not taking a risk by taking Shelvey is taking a large risk imo as he’s kneecapping his squad by having a bunch of CMs who play very similar roles. 

55 minutes ago, acrossthepond said:

Sad but brutally true. Neither Shelvey nor Lascelles will have been given a second thought. Instead some abominable set of cloggers like the aforementioned Livermore or indeed Alfie Mawson, Delph, Michael Keane, or Drinkwater will go. 

Agreed, it’s ridiculous to me that Mawson has had a call up and Lascelles hasn’t. Mawson who plays in a very leaky back line, over Lascelles who has been the stand out player in a defence that has conceded less than Arsenal. 

If he was wearing a Liverpool shirt, he'd be in, even if he started 10 games all season. With regards to Shelvey, it's maybe the worst exclusion since Darren Bent in (2006?) where he was in pretty strong goal-scoring form. For me, this crack about temperament is complete bollocks; I think he doesn't know how to play him and/or won't shift from whatever terrible system we're playing this year. You can almost see how the Tunisia and Panama games are going to pan out now. Lots of England possession as the midfield move it slowly sidewards, Sterling tries to take him man on but can't so he goes back into the centre, it's moved left very slowly for not-a-left-winger Rashford to try and take his man on but can't because they're so deep so he goes back to the centre, rinse, repeat. I think Alex's point about international sides sitting deep is valid but even with that mind, Shelvey's eye for a pass elevates him well above someone like Jake Livermore, who is going to contribute absolutely nothing. Imagine looking to the bench when chasing a game and see Jake Livermore and realising you've left Jonjo Shelvey at home. We deserve what we get.

I'm not sure why it's taken the World Cup squad selection to remember that Southgate is a shit manager too :lol: 

Edited by Ayatollah Hermione
  • Like 2

I think shelvey comes into his own when defenders sit back. He can thread it though the eye of the needle like few others and is exactly the sort of player capable of unlocking teams that park the bus. He looks less comfortable when he’s being pressed high with less time on the ball to look up and pick his pass.

9 minutes ago, Ayatollah Hermione said:

I'm not sure why it's taken the World Cup squad selection to remember that Southgate is a shit manager too :lol: 

:D

( all of that post was spot on too). 

3 minutes ago, Ayatollah Hermione said:

It's more that he can't drop a 40 yard pass over the shoulders of centre halves who are camped in their box.

He can fire out wide and switch the play very quickly.

Last time out englands way of getting the ball from the defence to the forwards was for oxlade chamberlain to dribble it and then end up in the situation you mentioned before.

shelvey drops in and takes that ball and fires it forwards, recently with pinpoint accuracy and consistency

Gary Cahill has been finished for years, he's awful, easily bullied and will get exposed badly by Belgium. He'll be in the squad and starting every game though as he's a safe, established name and Southgate can hide behind that. Hope I'm proved wrong.

I don't think there's any doubt that Shelvey would improve the squad, even if he isn't starting the games. The temperament thing is a shit excuse as well, as pointed out Alli can be a little bastard when he wans and he'll be starting.

I fancy France or Argentina to win the thing. 

There are plenty of players who have shown to be knobs both on and off the pitch for a variety of reasons. Not taking Shelvey with that as the justification is horse-shit.

Wilshere and Livermore specifically are the players who will likely go instead of him, both have plenty of issues you could level at them and say they aren't fit to play for England both on and off the pitch.

13 minutes ago, rob032 said:

Gary Cahill has been finished for years, he's awful, easily bullied and will get exposed badly by Belgium. He'll be in the squad and starting every game though as he's a safe, established name and Southgate can hide behind that. Hope I'm proved wrong.

I don't think there's any doubt that Shelvey would improve the squad, even if he isn't starting the games. The temperament thing is a shit excuse as well, as pointed out Alli can be a little bastard when he wans and he'll be starting.

I fancy France or Argentina to win the thing. 

Aye, agreed. Especially the bit in bold and while he was a good defender he was never that good to start with.

10 minutes ago, Andrew said:

There are plenty of players who have shown to be knobs both on and off the pitch for a variety of reasons. Not taking Shelvey with that as the justification is horse-shit.

Wilshere and Livermore specifically are the players who will likely go instead of him, both have plenty of issues you could level at them and say they aren't fit to play for England both on and off the pitch.

Aye, ones a cokehead and ones on 40 a day but Jonjo, who looks after himself, might not be good for the group. Laughable

lots of pundits and sports websites are picking their squad, who they think will be on the plane. i'm yet to read one which includes shelvey or lascelles. 

2 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

lots of pundits and sports websites are picking their squad, who they think will be on the plane. i'm yet to read one which includes shelvey or lascelles. 

I suppose who you think will go and who should aren't always going to be the same.

Southgate is a boring man, a boring manager who will pick a boring squad.

Pope should go but He'll take Hart

Lascelles should go but Mawson or Maguire will, possibly Smalling

Shelvey should but Livermore, Wilshere, Winks or even Barkley will be more likely chosen.

I actually think barkley might be an outside bet tbh, hes the most like Oxlade-Chamberlain of the other "maybe" players and southgate wants someone to run the ball from midfield rather than pass it 

• Like 1

I know that stats can be misleading but the fact that Lascelles is in the Opta Team of the Season (one of only two English players) must put him up for serious consideration?

4 minutes ago, Andrew said:

Harts been told hes not going apparently, maybe there is some hope after all.

Good. All the talk was that, because the third keeper never gets used, he should go because he's good to have around the squad but the unliklihood of his playing meant that it should go to someone else who could benefit from the experience in future tournaments I reckon

9 minutes ago, Andrew said:

Harts been told hes not going apparently, maybe there is some hope after all.

Or maybe, some POPE!

Sorry

• Haha 2