Football Swan Songs

Anorthernsoul

Never knew that about Cruyff, any idea why he wasn't offered another contract by Ajax?

Given he's a Dutch footballer, I'm expecting him to have fallen out with someone...

Just now, The Fish said:

Never knew that about Cruyff, any idea why he wasn't offered another contract by Ajax?

Given he's a Dutch footballer, I'm expecting him to have fallen out with someone...

It was just a case of the Ajax hierarchy thinking he was past his best and wanting to move the team forward I think. He obviously was past his best but still more than good enough to do a job at the same time. It gets mentioned in some detail in David Winner's Brilliant Orange iirc.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 23/11/2017 at 3:50 PM, Alex said:

It was just a case of the Ajax hierarchy thinking he was past his best and wanting to move the team forward I think. He obviously was past his best but still more than good enough to do a job at the same time. It gets mentioned in some detail in David Winner's Brilliant Orange iirc.

Superb book that mind.

14 minutes ago, wykikitoon said:

Superb book that mind.

Aye, was just reading an article from These Football Times and a young Frank Rijkaard played with Cruyff in his last season at Ajax then when he switched to Feyenoord for his last playing season he played alongside an up and coming Ruud Gullit.