Bitcoin

Anorthernsoul

8 minutes ago, TheGingerQuiff said:

Almost 16k just over a week later. It's pissing me off cos if I had the cash I'd have been on it big at about 5k

Aye but remember you need to know when to get out as much as when to get in.

1 minute ago, TheGingerQuiff said:

It's going nowhere but upwards. 

There's nothing underpinning it though. The only thing making it valuable is people continuing to believe it to be valuable. When it reaches the top of that point, it's going to crash hard.

Granted a lot of money can be made between then and now, but there will definitely be a collapse in the offing.

Nah that's a lazy conclusion you've reached! Blockchain technology itself is in its infancy and has the potential to revolutionise entire industries. Bitcoin spiked the other week when the Mugabe shit was going down because people in Zimbabwe started hoovering it up. And on top of that, the whole idea of decentralised currency fucks banks off which is hugely appealing.

1 minute ago, TheGingerQuiff said:

Nah that's a lazy conclusion you've reached! Blockchain technology itself is in its infancy and has the potential to revolutionise entire industries. Bitcoin spiked the other week when the Mugabe shit was going down because people in Zimbabwe started hoovering it up. And on top of that, the whole idea of decentralised currency fucks banks off which is hugely appealing.

Don't disagree with any of that, but that's a theoretical analysis of its benefits, not a pragmatic review of the reality. Theoretically, I agree with you. In reality, it's going to pop because the only reason it has value is that people assume it will continue to have value.

Tbh, I'm thinking of buying $1 :lol: But I keep telling myself it's a fool's errand because it will, inevitably, collapse. And fall to a sustainable level again.

People have been saying that for years and it just doesn't and won't. It's market cap atm is something like 260 billion which has doubled from something like a month ago. Given the limited supply of btc it absolutely will not just pop, it has proven its resilience time and again and there isn't anything that is going to make it crash. There's even better, faster and cheaper 'altcoins' available that have tried to steal BTCs crown and still it surges.

4 minutes ago, TheGingerQuiff said:

People have been saying that for years and it just doesn't and won't.

Said about every bubble ever.

In defence of BTC - it's potentially going to replace the entire global FX market, so it's underpinned by a lot more than traders' faith.

The other side - Blockchain is what's important, not BTC, which has no inherent right to its position other than being out front right now.  I can envisage scenarios where the US fucks it, but if you look at how countries like Japan are treating it, it's probably out of the bag and too late for them to control it.

Overall, from the little I know, l think BTC is going to 10x again in the next couple years and I'm seriously considering putting a fair amount in.

Someone said earlier they were investing in companies strong on Blockchain, that's the safe bet, but I hate safe bets.

1 minute ago, Rayvin said:

Fair enough. I'm tempted but £12k is a hellova lot of money to stump up for a gamble :lol:

You realise you can invest in a lot less than one BTC right?  Right now I have a grand total of about €5 in there just from moving money through it.

6 minutes ago, adios said:

In defence of BTC - it's potentially going to replace the entire global FX market, so it's underpinned by a lot more than traders' faith.

The other side - Blockchain is what's important, not BTC, which has no inherent right to its position other than being out front right now.  I can envisage scenarios where the US fucks it, but if you look at how countries like Japan are treating it, it's probably out of the bag and too late for them to control it.

Overall, from the little I know, l think BTC is going to 10x again in the next couple years and I'm seriously considering putting a fair amount in.

Someone said earlier they were investing in companies strong on Blockchain, that's the safe bet, but I hate safe bets.

Have you read about IOTA?

I wouldn't worry about dips too much unless you're doing short-term trades.  If you're in for the long haul it's not that relevant and something that is trending upwards is more likely to go up than down.

Just now, adios said:

I wouldn't worry about dips too much unless you're doing short-term trades.  If you're in for the long haul it's not that relevant and something that is trending upwards is more likely to go up than down.

Aye, historically though it's always had a correction period after its mental surges and you want to buy in at the lowest price still

2 minutes ago, adios said:

No; another crypto?

Yeah. It's technology means that when you make a transaction you verify two others. Effectively making mining obsolete and transactions free. Made a deal with microsoft and surged 10x within the last week. Has called back a bit now but long term it has huge potential

9 minutes ago, adios said:

This,  i think if you invest solely in BTC you're selling yourself short.  IMO one would be wiser to be investing in companies that are building their businesses on leveraging the blockchain technology, they will be able to prosper because they are making money from ALL the cryptocurrencies, not just BTC.