Bitcoin

Anorthernsoul

1 minute ago, adios said:

My mate who's all-in on BTC just referred to IOTA as "full of shit coin".  Bitter at missing out? :lol: 

Hard to say. Can't criticise him for being all in on btc but personally I'd try and keep at least 10% aside for altcoins. Whether they take off or not there's profits to be had

2 hours ago, adios said:

I wouldn't worry about dips too much unless you're doing short-term trades.  If you're in for the long haul it's not that relevant and something that is trending upwards is more likely to go up than down.

dunno like.. my mate was thinking of buying when it raced to 7000 in early october.. I told him don’t get impaled on a spike .. wait for a dip.. 4 days later he bought in nearly 20% cheaper just under 6000.. Considering he chucked 30k in, it was worth waiting. Buy low, sell high, never the other way round..

Edited by zerosum

2 hours ago, TheGingerQuiff said:

Given the limited supply of btc it absolutely will not just pop, it has proven its resilience time and again and there isn't anything that is going to make it crash.

If you actually believe that then you’re being naive..

Yes, limited supply and huge demand means it’s going up (now) .. and it probably won’t be for reasons of over supply that it will crash.

It will most likely come to something like the US fed (or China) laying out some heavy regulation on owning / trading them.. similar as the US did with day traders, (pattern trading regulation) or forex and leverage..  killed the fx market in the states. Or even a massive hack or scandal within the industry or a main broker.. there will be something.. in time if the climb continues.

Edited by zerosum

13 minutes ago, zerosum said:

dunno like.. my mate was thinking of buying when it raced to 7000 in early october.. I told him don’t get impaled on a spike .. wait for a dip.. 4 days later he bought in nearly 20% cheaper just under 6000.. Considering he chucked 30k in, it was worth waiting. Buy low, sell high, never the other way round..

How do you know when it's high or low (given the unknown nature of the fundamentals)?  What if it breaks 20k and then drops the 16k?

Edited by adios

No idea when it’s high as it will go, or where a top would be.. but if you’re going to buy just wait for a good old dip.. you’re going to buy anyway right ? get a discount.. no FOMO . if it drops 1000 start scaling in, scale in more if it goes lower.. as long as you’re still convinced of the long term picture 

I could point at many points in the chart where waiting would cost you money not save you money (as could you do the opposite).

It's about percentages at the end of the day, I've just seen nothing to convince me that they swing obviously one way or the other.  So in absence of that, I'm using the logic that if it trends upwards it's more likely to go up than down at any given moment.

12 minutes ago, zerosum said:

If you actually believe that then you’re being naive..

Yes, limited supply and huge demand means it’s going up (now) .. and it probably won’t be for reasons of over supply that it will crash.

It will most likely come to something like the US fed (or China) laying out some heavy regulation on owning / trading them.. similar as the US did with day traders, (pattern trading regulation) or forex and leverage..  killed the fx market in the states. Or even a massive hack or scandal within the industry or a main broker.. there will be something.. in time if the climb continues.

There's already been hacks on major exchanges. Still it rises. It can't even be practically policed because it's decentralised. The US is already trying to get exchanges to hand over details of people's accounts to clamp on tax avoidance. Still it rises. How big does it need to get before people accept that it isn't a bubble though?  

you’re right yeah.. but how is a trend determined usually? higher highs, higher lows.. there’s not many higher lows atm.. you’re right.. it’s gone parabolic!! Exactly the sort of move that could lose your shirt buying heavy. Personally I think it’s going to 20k .. big psychological level :icon_lol:

Just now, TheGingerQuiff said:

There's already been hacks on major exchanges. Still it rises. It can't even be practically policed because it's decentralised. The US is already trying to get exchanges to hand over details of people's accounts to clamp on tax avoidance. Still it rises. How big does it need to get before people accept that it isn't a bubble though?  

no idea .. lol .. it’s fucking mental.. but not unstoppable 

Caution though.. read that zero hedge article above. imo a lot of this rise has been because BTC was going to become tradeable on futures exchanges, there’s now a bit of back tracking on that decision.

If they decide to pull the plug could be curtains for now.

Taken my first dabble in cryptos this week after a lot of research into alt coins. A pure punt on the Alt coin from Factom.

If there’s going to be technology that will make banks and financial institutions migrate into blockchain its this.. imo.

https://www.factom.com/about/faqs

An interesting AMA on reddit with the marketing and sales guys..

Yes, a company listed on the LSE owns a reasonable % of Factom (that’s what drew my attention to it). They also just got 9mill in start up funding it seems. It is a punt, but I’ve read loads on them, and took note of the new staff they recently hired. 2018 could be a good year for them.

Edited by zerosum

Tell you what though, it was a right fuck on to get the coins. Until they make the whole process easier it’s beyond the average joe ..

Deposit at coinbase , buy some coins, send to a wallet on exchange , buy the fct, send fct to my wallet.. add in my bank not liking me sending money to crypto broker and sitting on phone for ages.. nightmare..