Bitcoin

Anorthernsoul

I don't know what it is you've bought. If you're purchasing stock in a company that is going to try and unlock the potential of blockchain, you might be onto something. If you're putting money into a cryptocurrency itself, there's a good chance you're going to lose your money. 

This thing will go through any number of iterations before it becomes anything with mainstream usability - if that ever happens. Throwing money at different crypto currencies in the hope that you've picked THE ONE is, as that thing I posted pointed out, speculation. It is not an investment. 

My memory of the Google IPO is that the shares started over $100 each and was initially only open to select investors.

Could be wrong and can't be bothered to look it up atm.

1 minute ago, Gemmill said:

I don't know what it is you've bought. If you're purchasing stock in a company that is going to try and unlock the potential of blockchain, you might be onto something. If you're putting money into a cryptocurrency itself, there's a good chance you're going to lose your money. 

This thing will go through any number of iterations before it becomes anything with mainstream usability - if that ever happens. Throwing money at different crypto currencies in the hope that you've picked THE ONE is, as that thing I posted pointed out, speculation. It is not an investment. 

Their tokens are not to be used as a “currency”.. they are like shares.. 

3 minutes ago, adios said:

My memory of the Google IPO is that the shares started over $100 each and was initially only open to select investors.

Could be wrong and can't be bothered to look it up atm.

it was 85 dollars but I think it went lower for a bit.. but it was a general comment to highlight the gains 

2 minutes ago, zerosum said:

it was 85 dollars but I think it went lower for a bit.. but it was a general comment to highlight the gains 

I also remember Amazon being one of the only success stories during that shitshow of a bubble  (Google was the next generation iirc).

2 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

Ah well there you go, that's different. You own a portion of the business that this Draper bloke thinks will be the ones to make sense of this thing. That's an investment. 

Ive been saying all along here I am investing in blockchain as a technology.. and that’s how you do it ..by buying their crypto.. I think BTC as a currency is 50/50 to make it. But the tech is something else.

Just now, zerosum said:

Yes but you get my drift right?

It was an apples and pears comparison though. One was an investment in a business that you hoped would rise to the top in the dotcom scramble. The other is speculation on a currency which has no value beyond people's willingness to believe it has. 

4 minutes ago, adios said:

I also remember Amazon being one of the only success stories during that shitshow of a bubble  (Google was the next generation iirc).

Which other companies rode well off the back of the .com boom? .. hmm let me think..

Microsoft, Intel, Ibm, Adobe, ... hmm shall I google more? 

Honestly, at this point you can believe what you want (you're going to regardless).

It's worth considering that you won't listen to someone who's pro-blockchain as an investment.

4 minutes ago, zerosum said:

Ive been saying all along here I am investing in blockchain as a technology.. and that’s how you do it ..by buying their crypto.. I think BTC as a currency is 50/50 to make it. But the tech is something else.

If you want to back the technology you invest in a company that's trying to find a use for it. You don't blindly purchase the currency. Especially not if you think it's an even money shot that you lose your cash. 

I thought you said your owned shares. Now it sounds like you're not sure. 

10 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

It was an apples and pears comparison though. One was an investment in a business that you hoped would rise to the top in the dotcom scramble. The other is speculation on a currency which has no value beyond people's willingness to believe it has. 

While I tend to agree there is one thing that still could push BTC higher in the medium term.. until people either take to it, or don’t..

Supply. There’s only a finite supply. And the cost of mining what’s left, plus the block size reducing and difficulty increasing means for them to mine to the end of the chain, the reward for a single BTC will have to be huge.. like $100k or more a coin .. otherwise I can’t see how it would ever get mined to the end.

So it will either keep rising because of that or crash like nothing else before 

Edited by zerosum

2 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

If you want to back the technology you invest in a company that's trying to find a use for it. You don't blindly purchase the currency. Especially not if you think it's an even money shot that you lose your cash. 

I thought you said your owned shares. Now it sounds like you're not sure. 

Mate I give up. Their “crypto” isn’t to be used as a currency.. not sure what else to say.. maybe read up on it.

1 minute ago, zerosum said:

Mate I give up. Their “crypto” isn’t to be used as a currency.. not sure what else to say.. maybe read up on it.

Nah I'm alright. I think you might be giving up trying to explain it because you aren't sure what you've bought though. ;)