Bitcoin

Anorthernsoul

Sorry, KCG's post was hidden for me because it refreshed weirdly. Seems to happen sometimes when you click the 'see new posts' button.

:D

Edited by Rayvin

2 hours ago, Dr Gloom said:

you feel sorry for elon's fan boys who piled into bitcoin? the craze for crypto (a massive ponzi scheme) and meme stocks are a symptom of dysfunctional financial markets where valuations no longer haver anything to do with underlying fundamentals.

it's a stonk bubble, driven by retail investors. 

And not only that its completely fucking the planet up. It's bad enough the amount of C02 we use in unnecessary travel, agriculture, and manufacturing, but killing the planet for some abstract concept thathas no basis in reality? Shame on Rayvin. 

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Renton said:

Bitcoin mining has the same environmental impact as the entire country of Argentina. Won't this get worse the harder the mining gets? Clearly it's not sustainable.

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2021/feb/27/bitcoin-mining-electricity-use-environmental-impact

musk's brief fling with bitcoin did nothing for his green credentials. he is no environmental visionary. he's just a businessman, .

9 minutes ago, Renton said:

And not only that its completely fucking the planet up. It's bad enough the amount of C02 we use in unnecessary travel, agriculture, and manufacturing, but killing the planet for some abstract concept thathas no basis in reality? Shame on Rayvin. 

Wonder how much co2 it takes to keep the lights on at all the branches of HSBC around the world

15 minutes ago, Rayvin said:

Sorry, KCG's post was hidden for me because it refreshed weirdly. Seems to happen sometimes when you click the 'see new posts' button.

:D

RAYVIN HAS MUTED KCG. OHHHHH SHIT, DRAMA! 

• Haha 4

:lol:

KCG is a fellow Scottish independence voter, I would never do that.

More importantly, I didn't even realise that muting was a thing :D 

3 minutes ago, TheGingerQuiff said:

Wonder how much co2 it takes to keep the lights on at all the branches of HSBC around the world

A tiny fraction of what it takes mining cryptocurrency I'd imagine, even more so since half the branches have closed and HQ's have downsized. Cryptocurrency is bonkers man. 

11 minutes ago, Renton said:

Bitcoin mining has the same environmental impact as the entire country of Argentina. Won't this get worse the harder the mining gets? Clearly it's not sustainable.

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2021/feb/27/bitcoin-mining-electricity-use-environmental-impact

It's a fair point. I'm not invested into BTC though.

Not that this saves me from criticism on any of the others... will reflect on it next time I need to feel bad about myself over something ;) 

6 minutes ago, Renton said:

A tiny fraction of what it takes mining cryptocurrency I'd imagine, even more so since half the branches have closed and HQ's have downsized. Cryptocurrency is bonkers man. 

There's DeFi projects that will literally give you 40% interest up front to lock your crypto in with them for a year. Banks are bonkers. Keep your money in one and that money pays bankers wages whilst you earn less than 1%. Pffft. 

5 minutes ago, TheGingerQuiff said:

The source referenced there is 5 years old and is clearly written by someone who is a stakeholder in crypto mining. I think its pretty universally agreed by experts bitcoin mining is an environmental catastrophe.  And for what purpose? 

9 minutes ago, Renton said:

The source referenced there is 5 years old and is clearly written by someone who is a stakeholder in crypto mining. I think its pretty universally agreed by experts bitcoin mining is an environmental catastrophe.  And for what purpose? 

There's going to be a lot of people that have an interest in dismissing crypto for whatever reason. 

Jack from twitter reckons bitcoin actually incentivises renewable energy, and Musky agrees. Weird about turn 

Edited by TheGingerQuiff

3 minutes ago, TheGingerQuiff said:

There's going to be a lot of people that have an interest in dismissing crypto for whatever reason. 

Jack from twitter reckons bitcoin actually incentivises renewable energy, and Musky agrees. Weird about turn 

I don't know enough or really understand it to completely dismiss it. But the fact it is not bench marked against anything of a true worth, fluctuates wildly, and is a huge energy drain and CO2 source (either directly or diverting renewable power to it) means it's a no from me.  Especially the first point. 

I've found it an interesting thing to be part of but it does need to go mainstream with a justification for its existence sooner rather than later.

I also want to hear more about this:

39 minutes ago, TheGingerQuiff said:

There's DeFi projects that will literally give you 40% interest up front to lock your crypto in with them for a year. Banks are bonkers. Keep your money in one and that money pays bankers wages whilst you earn less than 1%. Pffft. 

Which DeFi projects are doing that, exactly?

19 minutes ago, Rayvin said:

I've found it an interesting thing to be part of but it does need to go mainstream with a justification for its existence sooner rather than later.

I also want to hear more about this:

Which DeFi projects are doing that, exactly?

88mph

This has reminded me of the rarely used minge synonym ‘blit’. That’s my contribution, lads 

• Haha 3

It’s funny that a lot of Bitcoin traders were talking about Tesla’s initial move as game changing but with its subsequent retreat it’s nothing to see, move along. Not cult like at all for the true believers.