Sat navs

Meenzer

So this appears to be causing something of a stir on social media.

I've never used a sat nav, but then I don't drive regularly and when I do it's almost always to go on a trip I've planned in advance, so I know and can remember where it is I'm supposed to be going. (That sounds more sarky than it ought to. :lol: ) They do seem to be near-ubiquitous nowadays though.

What do you reckon, good way of preparing people for the realities of modern driving or likely to encourage more zombie drivers who don't know how to read the road?

And yeah it's a good idea. Driving around a busy town or city while trying to read directions off a sat nav is a skill in itself so it does no harm to ensure that someone is proficient in it before letting them loose on the road.

Dual carriageways and motorways are a piece of piss until you get close to Belfast. That's the only point really where you need a bit of experience.

Thankfully there's a test centre where I live so I knew all the roads pretty well. Doesn't prepare you at all for city driving with multi-lanes roads/roundabouts though.

And no, I didn't take my test on a tractor before you start. <_< 

Think you should have to sit a test every 5 years. so many drivers pick up so many shitty habits. Sitting in the middle lane, for one, insta-ban for those bellends.

Why not?

Only reason I can think you'd be adverse to it is because you're a shit driver.

I don't mean the written test and the maintenance and all that shit. But a straightforward test; Can you drive like an actual human being or are you an arsehole that sits in the middle lane, doesn't indicate (ever) and drives right up the jacksie of the car in front?

Fuck that. If you live in London and you only drive once every 6 months, you can take a test every year for me. But if you drive every day and you don't routinely drive into things, there's absolutely no need to be repeating your test every 5 years. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, The Fish said:

Why not?

I don't mean the written test and the maintenance and all that shit. But a straightforward test; Can you drive like an actual human being or are you an arsehole that sits in the middle lane, doesn't indicate (ever) and drives right up the jacksie of the car in front?

Never got the issue with sitting in the middle lane, as long as there is a clear lane to the right to overtake. If the motorway is busy, I prefer to cruise 80 to 85 in the middle lane rather than constantly change lane because the inside is chocker with HGVs. I think this is probably safer and doesn't impede anyone. In contrast to arsehole tailgaters. 

Just now, Renton said:

Never got the issue with sitting in the middle lane, as long as there is a clear lane to the right to overtake. If the motorway is busy, I prefer to cruise 80 to 85 in the middle lane rather than constantly change lane because the inside is chocker with HGVs. I think this is probably safer and doesn't impede anyone. In contrast to arsehole tailgaters. 

Same here. I drive in the middle lane - as long as I'm moving quicker than the tits in the left lane and there's room in the right lane. I own the middle lane. I sit astride it. 

23 minutes ago, The Fish said:

Why not?

Those are personality traits, not an inability to drive.

Dickheads going to dickhead about the world regardless and then undickhead themself for the 30 minutes they need to before contiuing to dickhead about. Fuck paying £100 or whatever it is to redo a test I've already passed.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, The Fish said:

Why not?

I don't do any of those things and I don't drive like you're expected to on a driving test either

12 minutes ago, Andrew said:

Dickheads going to dickhead about the world regardless and then undickhead themself for the 30 minutes they need to before contiuing to dickhead about. Fuck paying £100 or whatever it is to redo a test I've already passed.

Aye, loads of people drive like twats because loads of people are twats.

25 minutes ago, Renton said:

That's just pure laziness. 

Left lane is for normal driving, the other lanes are for overtaking. Lost count of the number of times I've undertaken someone doing 65 in the middle lane.

Anyway, if you're doing 85, why aren't you constantly in the fast lane anyway? What kind of empty ass motorways do you drive down that you can do 80-85 in the middle lane? All the ones I've driven down have HGVs gradually passing each other for miles. and bellends pootling along in the middle lane because they can't be bothered to overtake then get back in lane.

25 minutes ago, Andrew said:

You'd be given faults for failing to indicate, or failing to maintain a safe distance. Maybe even for poor lane discipline. So it might be because of a dickheadedness, but it's still an inability to drive.

And the cost of passing a driving test wouldn't be £100, and successive high pass marks should lead to lower premiums (just as black boxes are being used for these days).

That so many people are against it, just proves you're all bad drivers. :lol:

Just now, The Fish said:

You'd be given faults for failing to indicate, or failing to maintain a safe distance. Maybe even for poor lane discipline. So it might be because of a dickheadedness, but it's still an inability to drive.

And the cost of passing a driving test wouldn't be £100, and successive high pass marks should lead to lower premiums (just as black boxes are being used for these days).

That so many people are against it, just proves you're all bad drivers. :lol:

5 minutes ago, The Fish said:

That's just pure laziness. 

Left lane is for normal driving, the other lanes are for overtaking. Lost count of the number of times I've undertaken someone doing 65 in the middle lane.

Anyway, if you're doing 85, why aren't you constantly in the fast lane anyway? What kind of empty ass motorways do you drive down that you can do 80-85 in the middle lane? All the ones I've driven down have HGVs gradually passing each other for miles. and bellends pootling along in the middle lane because they can't be bothered to overtake then get back in lane.

Why the fuck are you undertaking rather than overtaking? If the right lane is blocked, then surely the issue is with the vehicle in that lane, not the middle lane. There's no excuse to undertake otherwise. 

The reality of the busy nature of motorways is all lanes need to be utilised, not some ridiculous notion the left lane is a gravity well.