Nintendo Switch

Ayatollah Hermione

Finished Golf Story this weekend, its an excellent little game and well worth its pricetag.

Clocked overall in about 13 hours for me. I've got Zelda on the roll, though I'll tackle that slowly this time as I have already played it before and I bought Mario Odyssey last night which will be my main timesink for a bit now I reckon.

Lemme know what you think of Mario then, I haven't tried that. I prefer the Super Mario Bros. style games they release to the blockbuster Mario title they release every few years, but that's just me.

Mario is excellent but my times a little limited lately so I've been defaulting to Zelda since I can duck in and out and keep up with it. 

Zelda btw, god its good. If you have a Switch or a Wii U and haven't played it you must. 

• 2 weeks later...

Nintendo Event last night where a handful of new Pokemon games were announced.

Lets Go Pikachu/Eevee are the closest to a "main" Pokemon game being announced on a non-handheld (as in pure handheld) Nintendo console ever which implies to an extent that they may be abandoning that market now that the switch has proven you can do both in one machine.

Makes total sense for them to go that way. Nintendo will never compete for power with PS and X Box, so they may as well clean up with the most overpowered handheld they can.

8 minutes ago, Rayvin said:

Makes total sense for them to go that way. Nintendo will never compete for power with PS and X Box, so they may as well clean up with the most overpowered handheld they can.

power hasn't been Nintendos wheelhouse for decades(if it ever really was), its all about design and IP exclusivity.

Nintendo could release a brick, if it could play pokemon it would sell.

Pokemon Quest is an odd looking little thing and is free to play now so I'll be having a look at that when I get home.

I will also, undoubtedly, play the hell out of Lets Go when its out.

1 hour ago, strawb said:

Splurged on one, since I’m not going to be out and about a lot.

Got zelda, owt else that’s a definate purchase?

Mario Odyssey for retail games. FM Touch has just come out for it and that's a proper time sink as usual.

Can't argue with any of those.

Golf Story is fun and not a lot of money, Stardew Valley is a total time sink.

• 4 months later...
2 hours ago, Ant said:

looking at maybe getting the wee fella a switch for xmas, he's debating it or a tablet

but looking at the price of the tablets that are capable of running minecraft/roblox and other games "well" they're £300 upwards anyway so the switch just seems a better idea.

Whats internet browsing like? does it have apps like youtube with the ability to cast to mediacentres/chromecast?

It has none of those things.

9 hours ago, Ayatollah Hermione said:

It actually is a touch screen, it's just talked about and used so rarely that people assume it isn't :lol:

Also, I could well live without Netflix/Youtube/Browsers etc. in the Switch since the UI is lightning fast and I want it to stay that way.

Same here, I have a phone, laptop, tablet, other console and TV that can do those things.

The switch isn't made to be a tablet that can play nintendo games, its a console with a specific purpose and I'm fine with that.

If you want an all-rounder there are a million tablets.

Also, I'm not sure how far it is along, and I think Nintendo might have had a work-around in the newer Switch hardware, but the homebrew/modding scene is rife and a piece of piss to sort out so there's every chance there's homebrew browser apps you can install, though you run the risk of getting a banned account.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Getting one for my boy’s birthday. Definitely just for him. Not that I want one. Thinking of getting Mario Kart, Mario Odyssey and either Fifa or smash bros.

Good shout to start off with or should I be looking at Zelda or Mario Party instead? Or something else?

Zelda is one of the best games I've ever played, preferred it to Mario Odyssey (though they are different they're definitely the big titles) by a long way.

Can't really go wrong with MK, its a safe bet.

Smash is brilliant but not necessarily as a solo experience, same for Mario Party, they're definitely games whose best comes with multiplayer.

Fifa is as it has always been.