The Intelligent, Resolute, Vigorous, Angelic Geordie Boys vs Lester

LooneyToony

How many goals will Newcastle score?  

10 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

As the 125th anniversary celebrations are in full swing new owners are announced a few hours before kick off.  Best atmosphere for yonks inspires us to a 1-0 win and after the match Rafa says he'll sign a new five year deal. 

Positive threads are great.

Aye, atmosphere should be good. 125th year celebrations, amazing flags display, positive takeover news, 5:30pm kick off.

We need to stop them from breaking on us, probably give them the onus to break us down like we did to Stoke earlier on in the season.

19 hours ago, Tdansmith said:

As the 125th anniversary celebrations are in full swing new owners are announced a few hours before kick off.  Best atmosphere for yonks inspires us to a 1-0 win and after the match Rafa says he'll sign a new five year deal. 

Positive threads are great.

Christmas comes early to SJP the place would be jumping

Can’t say I’m confident about this one. Puel has them playing quite well, beat Spurs and Burnley in their last two. Hope we can nick a draw but think we’ll lose 0-2. 

Is Lascelles back? I’d be more confident of a draw if he was. 

Edited by Howay

Newcastle United was born into the banging, clanking, smoky world of industrial Tyneside.

Queen Victoria was on the throne in 1892, Gladstone would become Prime Minister for the fourth time, and The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes was published.

The roots of Newcastle United stretched back to 1881 and the formation of Stanley FC who played in South Byker.

A year later Stanley became Newcastle East End.

Meanwhile, on the other side of the city were rivals Newcastle West End who were based at St James’ Park on Barrack Road.

In May 1892, West End succumbed to ongoing financial troubles and folded.

Eyeing an unmissable opportunity, East End moved across the city, taking over the lease at St James’ Park.

In a football world very different world to today’s, this was a time when East End played in red shirts and plied their trade in the Northern League.

September, 1892, marked East End’s first home game at St James’ - a friendly against Celtic.

And it was in December 1892 that the club’s name was changed to Newcastle United in a bid to attract a wider fanbase from across the city.

A friendly against Middlesbrough on Christmas Eve at St James’ was the new United’s first fixture. And the attendance? Just 1,500 - although crowds would swell once they were admitted to the football league.

This came to pass at the end of the 1892-93 season when they were elected to the new Division Two.

Now the Newcastle United years could begin.

Newcastle East End red shirts and white shorts :o

Image result for newcastle united 1892

Newcastle West End 1888

An early Newcastle United, pre black and white strips.

JS90237433.jpg

Newcastle United 1893/4 

Paul Brown's 'all with smiling faces' is a brilliant read for anyone interested in this era, Newcastle United basically formed by some teenagers from the east end. When in financial trouble as they moved to their third ground off Chillingham road local businesses and people helped out. Pitch one was near Haults yard off Walker road, pitch two near the Byker wall where I sometimes played myself and my Dad before me. Had no idea when I played there it's significance. The final ground off Chilli road was where the Gaza club once was. 

Edited by Howmanheyman
  • Like 1

The club was always down as being founded in 1882 when I was younger so I don't recognise this 125 years thing, that's just the anniversary of the name change. I'm just a rebel/cunt*.

*delete as applicable :D

I've often wondered this but never asked, but now I will.

On looking at the old photos, the whole team are wearing the same shirt. When did the keeper start wearing a different shirt from the rest of the team?

8 hours ago, Noelie said:

On looking at the old photos, the whole team are wearing the same shirt. When did the keeper start wearing a different shirt from the rest of the team?

The goalie often had a hat on or had a polo type shirt ( to keep warm)  or even just an armband to tell them apart.

here's some info

http://www.footballshirtculture.com/History/getting-shirty-goalkeeper-shirt-history.html

9 hours ago, Noelie said:

You can't tell from the photo but the keeper's shirt is fluoro pink with British Racing green stripes.

11 hours ago, Noelie said:

And, starting in 1939 you would wear a Hitler mustache to really grab the attention of the crowd.