The Intelligent, Resolute, Vigorous, Angelic Geordie Boys vs Lester

LooneyToony

How many goals will Newcastle score?  

10 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

1 minute ago, TheGingerQuiff said:

Can't see why he'd make the bench ahead of Mbemba if that was the case. 

Because he’s a better footballer than Mbemba and may have been fit to play 45 minutes in case of injury.

Just now, ewerk said:

Because he’s a better footballer than Mbemba and may have been fit to play 45 minutes in case of injury.

If he's fit enough to play 45 in case of injury then he's fit enough to play 45 irrespective of whether there's an injury to other players. Our defence is shocking and he should have played if he was fit enough to make the bench

I'm starting to question Rafas choices. Why didn't Shelvey and Lascelles start? Lejeune has looked poor and Hayden isn't a good enough player to keep our most creative player out. Richie is off form, Joselu was better tonight but never looks threatening. We don't seem to know who is no 1 between the sticks. 

4 minutes ago, TheGingerQuiff said:

If he's fit enough to play 45 in case of injury then he's fit enough to play 45 irrespective of whether there's an injury to other players. Our defence is shocking and he should have played if he was fit enough to make the bench

And if there’s a 20% risk of the injury recurring then it’s a judgement call as to whether he starts. For years and years we saw players rushed back only to then be out for another extended period of time. I think you can ask plenty of questions regarding tonight’s lineup but for me Lascelles isn’t one of them.

Just now, StoneColdStephenIreland said:

Joselu did nothing apart from tap the ball in from 5 yards. He offers nothing.

Aye, it was a finish that any professional footballer should have been making. Still probably enough to ensure his place in the starting XI for the next ten games though. <_<

3 minutes ago, ewerk said:

Aye, it was a finish that any professional footballer should have been making. Still probably enough to ensure his place in the starting XI for the next ten games though. <_<

Aye he's not linking up play, he's not making killer passes, he's not on the end of any chances. He's just nothing.

1 minute ago, ewerk said:

:lol: Aye that’s what I thought as soon as we lost, the useless bugger has cemented his place with that. 

Agree fully with SCSI, it’s genuinely puzzling how little Joselu seems to be involved in every match he plays. It’s almost as if he leaves for a few pints for large sections of both halves. 

Also worth noting how fucking woeful Darlow was today, sad part is Elliott was dropping some utter clangers before he was dropped as well. Hopefully Lascelles starts on Wednesday as the Clark and Lejuene pairing is rough to watch, they just constantly close the same man down leaving the middle wide open. 

2 minutes ago, ewerk said:

And if there’s a 20% risk of the injury recurring then it’s a judgement call as to whether he starts. For years and years we saw players rushed back only to then be out for another extended period of time. I think you can ask plenty of questions regarding tonight’s lineup but for me Lascelles isn’t one of them.

If there's a risk of his injury recurring then I question the decision to put him on the bench at all. For me, he's been passed fit, our defence is shite, we need a leader on the pitch. If we got an hour out of him we might have got something from the game.

We may as well select him and have him stand behind the goal telling the defence what to do, since Lejuene and Clark take up exactly the same positions and follow the same player around anyway. 

3 minutes ago, TheGingerQuiff said:

If there's a risk of his injury recurring then I question the decision to put him on the bench at all. For me, he's been passed fit, our defence is shite, we need a leader on the pitch. If we got an hour out of him we might have got something from the game.

Yeah but you know nothing.

4 minutes ago, Howay said:

Also worth noting how fucking woeful Darlow was today, sad part is Elliott was dropping some utter clangers before he was dropped as well.

Can understand now why Rafa was looking for a keeper in the summer. At the time I thought it wasn’t priority, but it’s apparent now that it was.. along with everything else!!

• Like 1

Just now, zerosum said:

Can understand now why Rafa was looking for a keeper in the summer. At the time I thought it wasn’t priority, but it’s apparent now that it was.. along with everything else!!

I was desperate for us to sign Reina when we were linked mind. Even if a takeover goes through quickly it's difficult to think what we can do in January. This squad is so inadequate where do you even start? Who would come?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, TheGingerQuiff said:

I was desperate for us to sign Reina when we were linked mind. Even if a takeover goes through quickly it's difficult to think what we can do in January. This squad is so inadequate where do you even start? Who would come?

To a Benitez side with stacks of cash?  Quite a few, I'd imagine.

The side primarily needs a Premiership striker and a #10; that hasn't changed.  What's changed is no attack leading to way too much pressure on a defence completely devoid of confidence.

3 minutes ago, adios said:

The side primarily needs a Premiership striker and a #10; that hasn't changed.  What's changed is no attack leading to way too much pressure on a defence completely devoid of confidence.

Agreed.  IF cash comes available then proven Forwards first.

4 minutes ago, adios said:

Gayle was impressive tonight and will score goals in this league. If we can’t get the right striker in January I’d be tempted to wait until the summer provided we reinforce elsewhere.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, adios said:

Where are we going to get a quality premiership striker and #10 in January that will pull us out of this?! I've no doubt we could sign better than we have, fringe players from top sides or whatever. But are those types going to keep us up? Fuck knows. 

2 minutes ago, ewerk said:

Gayle was impressive tonight and will score goals in this league. If we can’t get the right striker in January I’d be tempted to wait until the summer provided we reinforce elsewhere.

The trouble is where he fits in Rafa's preferred system.

I'm not sure the results so far with the 4-4-2 are all down to that formation but it's not looking too clever right now.

Can Gayle play the lone striker role with the quality of players behind him?