The Intelligent, Resolute, Vigorous, Angelic Geordie Boys vs Lester

LooneyToony

How many goals will Newcastle score?  

10 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

And it needs saying that Joselu, Manquillo, Murphy and perhaps even Yedlin is £25m worth of players that are as bad/worse than what we already had. 

Murphy in particular is a baffling signing. He's a less promising player than Aarons. If we hadn't signed him we could have tripled our striker budget. 

Edited by TheGingerQuiff

7 hours ago, Tdansmith said:

Me too, he has made many mistakes, learning from his mistakes is what makes him a good manager, unlike Pardew.

His team selections would suggest this not to be the case.

1 hour ago, TheGingerQuiff said:

And it needs saying that Joselu, Manquillo, Murphy and perhaps even Yedlin is £25m worth of players that are as bad/worse than what we already had. 

Murphy in particular is a baffling signing. He's a less promising player than Aarons. If we hadn't signed him we could have tripled our striker budget. 

As I said last night, all starting outfield players were Rafa signings. 

Thing is. Most of them were bought for the championship. And Manquillo and Joselu were desperate signings made under difficult budgetary conditions. I doubt either were his first choice. 

Im not convinced Murphy was the right way to splash £12m or whatever it was. Bit of a luxury to invest in one for the future. We needed experience. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dr Gloom said:

Thing is. Most of them were bought for the championship. And Manquillo and Joselu were desperate signings made under difficult budgetary conditions. I doubt either were his first choice. 

Im not convinced Murphy was the right way to splash £12m or whatever it was. Bit of a luxury to invest in one for the future. We needed experience. 

Totally agree with that first paragraph.

I think Murphy was bought when Rafa thought he had more to spend though.  He didn't realise he was spending 30% of the budget or whatever it ended up being.

Most of these players were bought by Rafa because time & money was tight.Everyone knew including Ashley Rafa  would need 2 teams. One to secure promotion from the Championship the other to secure a place in the Premiership then build on that.I cant understand why some fans are starting to turn on Rafa when he's all but publicly said Ashley lied to him regarding funds for players "He knows what he told me" I think Ashley's getting away with this when any vitriol & anger or critiscism should be directed at Ashley its his fault & not Rafa's

Edited by trooper

33 minutes ago, trooper said:

Most of these players were bought by Rafa because time & money was tight.Everyone knew including Ashley Rafa  would need 2 teams. One to secure promotion from the Championship the other to secure a place in the Premiership then build on that.I cant understand why some fans are starting to turn on Rafa when he's all but publicly said Ashley lied to him regarding funds for players "He knows what he told me" I think Ashley's getting away with this when any vitriol & anger or critiscism should be directed at Ashley its his fault & not Rafa's

You’d think after ten years of this that section of our fans would’ve cottoned on. Neither the players or the manager are above criticism of course but fuck me, some of our fans are bad idiots.

35 minutes ago, Andrew said:

You’d think after ten years of this that section of our fans would’ve cottoned on. Neither the players or the manager are above criticism of course but fuck me, some of our fans are bad idiots.

I just dont  get it Andrew i  think it's time to give  Ashley the verbal assault he deserves.

We're a much worse side than Leicester. Just like we're much worse than Watford or Burnley. Rafa's right - it's individual schoolboy errors costing us. The first goal it's a dreadful pass by Merino, no closing down, then Darlow should have saved it. The third goal, Manquillo loses it stupidly, then Perez lets the Leicester player sprint past him, waits 5 seconds and then tries to make amends. It was too late.

We're bereft of confidence now, so it falls to Rafa to rouse the troops ahead of Wednesday. Lascelles and Atsu back might make a difference, and I think we might need to see Shelvey make a return too. 

1 minute ago, trooper said:

I just dont  get it Andrew i  think it's time to give  Ashley the verbal assault he deserves.

There is nothing we can do or say to Ashley, that will have any impact on anything. If screaming at him will make you feel better than do it, but we are totally powerless.

4 minutes ago, Rayvin said:

There is nothing we can do or say to Ashley, that will have any impact on anything. If screaming at him will make you feel better than do it, but we are totally powerless.

Better to scream at Ashley rather than Rafa

The frustrating thing, while also giving some reason for optimism is that this side should be good enough to stay up:

Darlow

Yedlin Lascelles Clark Mbemba
			Hayden
		Shelvey Merino
Ritchie					Atsu
			Gayle

Hopefully Rafa has seen enough recently to try this.  If it doesn't work/he doesn't try it, it's very much bed-wetting time.  SOS Mandy.

Is it only me, but I am concerned about even having Hayden in the team at the moment.  While I want to have a box to box midfielder, I think his priority at the moment should be covering the back four.  I noticed a number of times him ambling back to cover when he was caught out of position, and he should have been the player covering when Perez was forced to do so (not that that excuses Perez for being caught out himself). 

He was the furthest forward when Joselu scored as well.  He was very good in the Championship, but he seems to have the Tiote disease now of trying to do more than he is capable of doing, instead of just doing the simple stuff first.  There is a reason why Arsenal were happy to let him go.

Also, Merino is clearly one of our best players, but players who do clever flicks off the side of the boot better make sure they hit their man, or they end up looking very stupid. :mad: