The Intelligent, Resolute, Vigorous, Angelic Geordie Boys vs Lester

LooneyToony

How many goals will Newcastle score?  

10 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

1 minute ago, adios said:

The trouble is where he fits in Rafa's preferred system.

I'm not sure the results so far with the 4-4-2 are all down to that formation but it's not looking too clever right now.

Can Gayle play the lone striker role with the quality of players behind him?

Not with the current set of players, probably not. We need a midfield with pace and an eye for a pass, not unlike Leicester. We do have the likes of Atsu, Ritchie, Shelvey and Merino who fit that bill but at the moment they’re out of form or not playing.

Maybe the answer is a 4-5-1 with Gayle.  He'd thrive off balls from Shelvey and Merino but can't really play them together in a 4-2-3-1.

I do have faith that confidence will return under Benitez with even a couple of half decent signings and results.  The problem is making it to mid-January without those things.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Kid Dynamite said:

We played our best football 4231. Why the duck he just doesn't go back to that with Shelvey or Merino playing no.10 is beyond me. He can shoehorn Hayden in then to protect the back 4

Maybe we're splitting hairs but I'm not sure either of them can play the #10 role in that system.  If either of them can, it'll be Merino.

2 minutes ago, Kid Dynamite said:

We played our best football 4231. Why the duck he just doesn't go back to that with Shelvey or Merino playing no.10 is beyond me. He can shoehorn Hayden in then to protect the back 4

It is weird that he seems totally opposed to trying those players there. There is absolutely no way Merino or Shelvey playing there would do less than Mo fucking Diame. 

Just now, Howay said:

It is weird that he seems totally opposed to trying those players there. There is absolutely no way Merino or Shelvey playing there would do less than Mo fucking Diame. 

That's a fair point. :lol: 

When I saw Rafa's starting line I did not have a good feeling.

Yedlin, Manquillo, & Joselu were not inspiring starters, there was more strength on the bench.

Where was Mbemba?

He wasn't on the bench, and neither was Gamez.

Where did Benitez go wrong?

Perhaps when he didn't play Shelvey or Lascells.

Rafa knew Perez would possibly score.

But not for the other side.

My depression, frustration, and hopelessness deepens.

Wednesday will probably find us deeper in the shit.

The concerning thing for me, at a risk of sounding all troops, is that we went into our last Premier League transfer window with better players than this, spent more than anyone else in the league and still went down. It's not like we can target a couple of areas either. We're short in every position.

Our only hope at the moment is that once Lascelles comes back into the side we show some of the defensive solidity that we had before he got hurt. If it does then we might limp to January where the fat pig might invest. 

22 minutes ago, Anorthernsoul said:

Rafa's looking more and more dejected and some of his team selections recently feels like some sort of protest at the lack of quality in the squad, that seems the only explanation.

I did think this myself a wee bit myself, but i mainly just think it's down to lack of quality all over the pitch.

Today's match was a proper kick in the balls with the third goal, but over all Leicester were much the better team.

This season was always about finishing 4th bottom, still is. Still hopeful we can stay up, not confident like.

Fat cockney has just had a few million quid knocked off the asking price.

6 minutes ago, Tdansmith said:

I did think this myself a wee bit myself, but i mainly just think it's down to lack of quality all over the pitch.

Today's match was a proper kick in the balls with the third goal, but over all Leicester were much the better team.

This season was always about finishing 4th bottom, still is. Still hopeful we can stay up, not confident like.

Fat cockney has just had a few million quid knocked off the asking price.

We need a win from somewhere to boost spirits and give the players a lift, Lascelles definitely needs to start midweek to bring some stability to the defence that has been in utter disarray.

• Like 1

Just now, Anorthernsoul said:

We need a win from somewhere to boost spirits and give the players a lift, Lascelles definitely needs to start midweek to bring some stability to the defence that has been in utter disarray.

Yes, i agree. 

5 minutes ago, wykikitoon said:

I wonder how many if this had been paradew would have been calling for his head 

That's a bit unfair as Rafa has only been here a short time and has already got us back up.  It's just my opinion if Pardew was here now with the same squad we would be stone cold bottom.  If Rafa had the squad Pardew had we would never been calling for his head..also IMO. 

• Like 1

Rafa has had to work with the cloth he has been cut. He's got to work with some serious shit. But also I think he's also worked with some serious shit over stuff he shouldn't need to. 

I'm with Rafa. I believe he's the only boy to keep us up. But I'm also not daft that he isn't invincible and beyond criticism. 

• Like 1

Just now, wykikitoon said:

Rafa has had to work with the cloth he has been cut. He's got to work with some serious shit. But also I think he's also worked with some serious shit over stuff he shouldn't need to. 

I'm with Rafa. I believe he's the only boy to keep us up. But I'm also not daft that he isn't invincible and beyond criticism. 

Me too, he has made many mistakes, learning from his mistakes is what makes him a good manager, unlike Pardew.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, TheGingerQuiff said:

The concerning thing for me, at a risk of sounding all troops, is that we went into our last Premier League transfer window with better players than this, spent more than anyone else in the league and still went down. It's not like we can target a couple of areas either. We're short in every position.

Not only short,we're weak in every position.