Relegation Again ?

trooper

On 1/2/2018 at 10:29, Rayvin said:

Interesting we're now 1 point behind Brighton and 2 behind Huddersfield. Another win and we could be ahead of both depending how their games go. We're not doing that fucking badly this season tbf. I'm sure there's another horror run around the corner but plenty of teams are struggling this year.

I think a combination of Premier League teams outside the top 6 having stagnated for a while, and the style of play from the promoted sides has had an influence on the table. 

Teams like Swansea, Stoke, West Brom, West Ham, etc. All of them are directionless, what are they aiming for, what are their identities? Even Southampton, once a conveyor belt of young talent and a stylish footballing side, now seem rudderless. What's made it worse for the aforementioned clubs are the appointments they've made, all fairly ordinary, pragmatic football managers. And all of the appointments were made with one thing in mind, short-term survival. Which in and of itself leads inevitably to future struggles.

Surely the idea for the clubs who cannot financially compete with the top clubs, must be to play good football, produce good young players, grow the brand globally, target cup competitions and so on? The kind of clubs that would truly benefit from a Director of Football, someone who, when the player moves to Madrid, or the Manager to Spurs, has replacements already lined up and ready to go. Players who fit the football that the club expects and a manager who can deliver it?

I've seen a lot of shit about how Serie A is close this season, therefore it's better than the Premier League. I think it's just an aberrant season with runaway leaders in pretty much all of the English leagues. The Premier League is pretty poor this season, even clubs like Chelsea and Arsenal are not pulling up any trees, and the rest of the league has had a bit of a panic. 8 clubs have changed their manager so far and you can guarantee should teams like West Brom and West Ham still be in the relegation battle towards the end of the season, they'll swing the axe again.

They've all appointed thoroughly uninspiring managers as well. Allardyce, Hodgson, Moyes, Pardew (ffs).

Pussies.

Not necessarily because of the quality on show. Our match away at West Ham was highly entertaining - two very average teams making loads of mistakes with loads of goals. 

There are sone equally turgid affairs these days - remember Brighton at home? It’s definitely not as entertaining as it was in the 90s, when most managers went out to win games instead of parking the bus with one up front and two defensive midfielders.

1 hour ago, The Fish said:

I've seen a lot of shit about how Serie A is close this season, therefore it's better than the Premier League. I think it's just an aberrant season with runaway leaders in pretty much all of the English leagues. The Premier League is pretty poor this season, even clubs like Chelsea and Arsenal are not pulling up any trees, and the rest of the league has had a bit of a panic. 8 clubs have changed their manager so far and you can guarantee should teams like West Brom and West Ham still be in the relegation battle towards the end of the season, they'll swing the axe again.

They've all appointed thoroughly uninspiring managers as well. Allardyce, Hodgson, Moyes, Pardew (ffs).

Pussies.

Serie As title race is really good this season but the football on show there has been really enjoyable for a few years now, a far cry from the stereotype of italian football of years past.

They've got far more *ahem* "characters" as well, mostly incredibly racist, sexist lunatic owners who like to get involved with the press which, when not horrifying, is hilarious.

You'd never get an owner over here coming out against a player like De Laurentiis (napoli chairman) has against Higuain since he left them, its great.

• 5 weeks later...

We are currentlý averaging 0.96 points roughly per game we are currently on track to finish the season with 36.5 points.  Rounded up it gives us 37 points will that be enough to stay up ? 

Haven’t got that feeling of dread as with the two previous recent times we went down, although that might be a case of not giving much of a fuck, but it feels like we’re running out of games a bit 

It wasn't a bad result but it's another game that's gone by without a win against one of the other teams that are down around us.  I don't see us picking up points against the top teams like Swansea have managed to do recently and we have a fair few of those games left.  Personally I think we will go down unless Slimani does something Cisse like.

We are battling for points, trying our best .. just that our best is falling short of what’s needed in this league.

If Slimani can bag a few of the chances that Joselu seems to miss.. we might just scrape it.

We will be happier with the point from yesterday than Palace after the shocking second half from us.  Once again in the season a shit ref decision hasnt helped us.  But we should have been gone by then.

• Like 1

It’s all about momentum. That win could be massive for our confidence going into a run of games where we should be looking to pick up points. We’re on a decent run as it is, in terms of picking up points, the last half dozen games or so since the horror run in autumn. 

Calm down lads, yes we've climbed up the slippery slope to 13th place after that brilliant win over ManUre but keep in mind we are only 2 points above the bottom three. Other team results are just as important as our own at the moment, a see-saw condition exists week by week. It is to be hoped that the win will create a massive boost in morale and confidence, if we keep playing as well as we did I'm sure the dread of relegation will disappear as we rack up more points.

31 minutes ago, Noelie said:

Calm down lads, yes we've climbed up the slippery slope to 13th place after that brilliant win over ManUre but keep in mind we are only 2 points above the bottom three. Other team results are just as important as our own at the moment, a see-saw condition exists week by week. It is to be hoped that the win will create a massive boost in morale and confidence, if we keep playing as well as we did I'm sure the dread of relegation will disappear as we rack up more points.

Two points from the relegation zone, three points from 10th. Not much has changed in that sense.

It’s more about momentum; we’ve been picking up points for a few games now, those losses to the champions-elect aside, and now we’ve beaten the second best side in the league. It’s a massive result. Three more wins and we’ll all but safe. Bournemouth next. 

Need 4 wins from 11 to get to the magical 40pt mark. 

If you sack off the games against the "big clubs", it still leaves us with 7 games against sides in trouble to get the job done. And we're only behind Brighton in the mini league of the bottom-vs-bottom.

I reckon it'll go something like this;

Bournemouth

a

Liverpool

a

Southampton

h

Spurs

a

Huddersfield

h

Leicester

a

Arsenal

h

Everton

a

WBA

h

Watford

a

Chelsea

h

19 minutes ago, Andrew said:

Where else do you write your posts? You've been popping in stuff in weird fonts/colours/sizes lately.

Emails to mates.