Relegation Again ?

trooper

:lol: I think Rush scored from about 6 inches out that day iirc. Probably about the only way he was going to score given the rest of his spell with us

As regards the Spurs game, it's very likely that all the matches rescheduled due to FA Cup in GW31 will be rescheduled to GW34. So we'd play Spurs away midweek after Arsenal at home.

This is because GW34 and GW37 are the only clear schedule breaks. Because the FA Cup QF means Chelsea, Man Utd, Spurs, Brighton, Leicester, Soton, Bournemouth and Huddersfield won't play in GW35, they'll probably have an extra match re-scheduled for GW37. 

Meaning our fixtures should look like this: 

Soton H - Sat 10th March, 3pm

Hudds H - Sat 31st March, 3pm

Leicester A - Sat 7th April, 3pm

Arsenal H - Sun 15th April, 1.30pm

Spurs A - Wed 18th April, 8pm???

Everton A - Sat 21st April, 3pm

WBA H - Sat 28th April, 3pm

Watford A - Sat 5th May, 3pm 

Chelsea H - Sun 13th May, 3pm

If we can win our next two - both at home against poor sides - we'll be on 35 and only needing about 4 more points to be sure of safety. That West Brom game should be a good one to get us over the line (excuse the Pardew pun). They'll likely be down and playing for pride. Alternatively it could be like a Villa away situation from two years ago.

EDIT: Spurs game is, of course, away from home.

Edited by rogerbarton

there are points up for grabs in all of those games. No liverpool or man city type fixtures which you'd look at and say we have no chance of getting a result. 

We've got to looking to take at least 6 points from the 3 home games against Southampton, Huddersfield & West Brom though to give ourselves a chance just looking at the stats it looks like we've only won 4 home games all season gulp :(

We’ll smash 6 points from our next two games. Back to back wins combined with a couple more draws will see us home with games to spare. Chelsea at home will be a final day of the season party as the takeover is announced, with survival already secured.

BOOM

• Haha 1

36 minutes ago, trooper said:

We've got to looking to take at least 6 points from the 3 home games against Southampton, Huddersfield & West Brom though to give ourselves a chance just looking at the stats it looks like we've only won 4 home games all season gulp :(

Yep, having us down to win the next two games is fanciful at best

Edited by TheGingerQuiff

1 hour ago, trooper said:

Should target 7 points really if 6 is the least we looking to get 

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/31/2017 at 18:39, Tdansmith said:

After the last two games of the year, WBA and Palace both get an unexpected point each.

Bookmakers have us as one of the favourites to go down (2/1), but it's tight looking like any three from nine.

Swansea 2/7 

WBA 10/11

NUFC 2/1

Brighton 5/2

Stoke 3/1

Bournemouth 7/2

Huddersfield 7/2

Crystal Palace 4/

West Ham 4/1 

Southampton 9/1

https://www.oddschecker.com/football/english/premier-league/relegation

West Brom 1/66

Stoke 4/6

Southampton 15/8

West Ham 9/4

Crystal Palace 5/2

Huddersfield 5/2

Swansea 4/1

Newcastle 14/1

Brighton 16/1

Bournemouth 33/1

Everton 100/1

Watford 100/1

DYaK3AMX4AEu-x4.jpg

Shows PpG needed for each team to get 40pts, over time. Omitted those that were already safe 12/02/2018 and so far only Burnley and Leicester have reached the promised land. It shows those who now need to win every game (WBA) and those that would need to win every other one (Stoke & Palace). We’re in amongst a group needing about a point a game (our season PpG is 1.07).

This tail end of the season is when external factors become more influential like; goal difference, the quality of opposition they’re facing and what that opposition are aiming for. E.g. Bournemouth are on course for 40pts, needing only 0.88PpG, but they face one of the hardest run ins in terms of quality of opposition. That said, some of the better placed teams they face won’t be playing for anything (Burnley and Leicester e.g.).

West Brom and Stoke obviously face teams higher in the league, but they also create fewer and permit more chances than their oppositions. Stoke in particular face an awful April; Arsenal (a), Spurs (H), West Ham (a), Burnley (h) and Liverpool (a). It’s only really Burnley and West Ham where you can see them getting points and even then you’d not call either 3pt bankers.

I think it’ll definitely be WBA and Stoke going down. Hughes might drag some performances from Southampton’s talented squad that pull their heads above water, Hodgson might reshuffle his tactics to rediscover his earlier form and Palace have an easier run in than most. West Ham are in a horrible state and their off field problems will not help. I reckon West Ham will be playing at the Hawthorns and the Britannia in the 2018/19 Championship.

On who I'd like to go down; obviously I’d like to see the back of Pardew and the Baggies are a bit of a nothing club anyway. Similarly Stoke have existed in the Premier League for a while, but their football has been poor on the whole and their fans fully buy into the myth about them being terrific… I’d love West Ham to be relegated partly because of their fans, partly because it’d be funny to see the exodus of players from the Olympic stadium and partly because I want to see how Gold and Sullivan try and spin it. I don't have any strong opinions on Southampton, Bournemouth, Huddersfield, Swansea so I don't care if they survive... Naturally I’d love Fat Sam’s team to drop, but Everton only need 1 win to get to 40pts (or the Allardyce Constant) so I can’t see it happening. Realistically I want WBA, Stoke and West Ham and I reckon I'll get my wish.

• 2 weeks later...
10 hours ago, StoneColdStephenIreland said:
Beat Huddersfield and were safe. Them and West Ham have nightmare run ins.

It's not just West Ham and Huddersfield that have bad run ins to be honest. 

Southampton play 4 away games (WHam, Ars, Lei & Eve), and 3 home games (Chel, Bou, Man City). Hughes might get them grafting harder and give them a bit of confidence, but you'd only really say Bournemouth at Home is on the easy side of things. Each of the other fixtures are tough as Hell.

Stoke need to hope they're not cut adrift during this shocking run of 5 fixtures; Ars (a), Tot (h), WHam (a), Bur (h), Liv (a).

Brighton conversely need to get points on the board now, their last 4 games are pretty shocking; Tot (h), Bur (a), ManUtd (h), Liv(a).

Two will guarantee it, one more combined with bad results for a few teams who are in the mix will see us effectively safe. We'll stop up with some distance, I think. I've thought that since beating Man U stopped the home form rot.

• Like 1

On 06/03/2018 at 09:14, Dr Gloom said:

35 points with four to play would be a decent place to be.

six to play is even better

Newcastle now as big as 100/1 to go down

https://www.oddschecker.com/football/english/premier-league/relegation

WBA and Stoke are gone, saints and huddersfield look like fighting it out for the 3rd spot.

7 minutes ago, Renton said:

Fuck me, looks like Mark Hughes is on course to relegate two teams from the same division in one season. That had to be a special sort of record. :icon_lol:

Meanwhile the king! :icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol:

Looking at the matches Southampton have left they are in mega shit.

I forgot about Mark Hughes, i can't imagine a manager having been woth two clubs in the same season that went down :icon_lol:

Has  it happened before ? or even came close ?

7 games to go (6 for some of our rivals) 7 points clear of the drop zone and with the goal difference the way it is effectively granting us an extra point.

We safe.