Relegation Again ?

trooper

8 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

9 defeats on the bounce or something wasn't it? it looked bleak. most football fans would be shitting it in that situation, agreed. 

9 without a win from beating Crystal Palace at home to beating West Ham away was the worst run I think (although we only picked up one point - WBA away). Relegation form whichever way you look at it.

2 minutes ago, Rayvin said:

I don't remember thinking we were going down at any point though... Maybe because of how shit many of the other teams were.

There were decent signs there too, e.g. we could've easily won, let alone drawn, against Leicester and Everton. I think, as has been mentioned, Lascelles and Dummett coming back into the side was crucial because we weren't exactly scoring loads of goals. Also, like you say, the sides around us weren't picking up points either. I actually don't think I would say they were shit as such, I think away from the top the league's been as competitive as I can remember it. Someone else mentioned how even WBA are a much better side than Sunderland were last year. That Stoke and Southampton side would be very near the top of the Championship too I think.

Aye, guess so. Unsure about the bit with other teams though - Southampton looked very poor against us. I can only assume WBA must have been even more insipid on more than one occasion.

But perhaps you're right.

38 minutes ago, Alex said:

There were decent signs there too, e.g. we could've easily won, let alone drawn, against Leicester and Everton. I think, as has been mentioned, Lascelles and Dummett coming back into the side was crucial because we weren't exactly scoring loads of goals. Also, like you say, the sides around us weren't picking up points either. I actually don't think I would say they were shit as such, I think away from the top the league's been as competitive as I can remember it. Someone else mentioned how even WBA are a much better side than Sunderland were last year. That Stoke and Southampton side would be very near the top of the Championship too I think.

i was at the arsenal game, discussed at the top of this thread, and which i think was a turning point, even though we lost. we'd been rank in a few games leading into that one, but we were well drilled and compact in that game. we've done well ever since, only losing two or three, i think

Just now, Dr Gloom said:

i was at the arsenal game, discussed at the top of this thread, and which i think was a turning point, even though we lost. we'd been rank in a few games leading into that one, but we were well drilled and compact in that game. we've done well ever since, only losing two or three, i think

Just Man City (twice) and Liverpool in the league I think.

I was trying to remain positive at the time, as has been said we'd put in some decent performances and the signs were there but when you're doing that not scoring and still losing games it's hard to see a light at the end of the tunnel. Funny old game football.