The January 2018 transfer window thread

PaddockLad

21 minutes ago, trooper said:

Amanda Staveley offered to help with Newcastle United’s efforts in the January transfer window.

The Chronicle say that the bidding group made an ‘offer to aid’ United with buying new players to help stave off relegation but discussions ‘did not prove fruitful’.

If this is true Rafa could have had a nice budget to spend. Instead it looks like he'll probably get a pittance from Ashley. It makes you wonder if Ashley's  trying to piss Rafa off so he walks so he can get another "yes man" in Mark Hughes ?

As great as that deal would've been for us it makes no sense for Ashley to accept it.

If he does then hes bound to one of two things, paying them back the money if the sale doesn't go through or definitely selling to them on a deal that isn't fully agreed yet.

Both of those take away Ashleys control over a thing he owns that hes looking to get the maximum value for.

• Like 1

Genuinely don't think Ashley needs to 'force Rafa out' at this point. He could quite happily just wait for his contract to run down at the end of the year and close things down then.

Everyone has a point were they go you know what "fcuk it" IF as we suspect Rafa's been given a very small budget again he may well walk or be bought outvof his contract. Lets face it it's all in the public domain the way Ashleys treat Rafa

1 hour ago, trooper said:

Amanda Staveley offered to help with Newcastle United’s efforts in the January transfer window.

The Chronicle say that the bidding group made an ‘offer to aid’ United with buying new players to help stave off relegation but discussions ‘did not prove fruitful’.

If this is true Rafa could have had a nice budget to spend. Instead it looks like he'll probably get a pittance from Ashley. It makes you wonder if Ashley's  trying to piss Rafa off so he walks so he can get another "yes man" in Mark Hughes ?

:lol: why do you wonder that? Ashley wants to sell and Stanley wants Rafa as manager. We’re more saleable with him in charge. There is no reason to assume he wants Hughes in man. 

There's every reason to think he doesn't want Rafa there. Why doesn't he back him ?  this will be the third window he's had bugger all to spend. Everyone knows the teams struggling we need some experienced players in yet Rafa gets no help from Ashley. Rafa must be seething .

4 minutes ago, trooper said:

There's every reason to think he doesn't want Rafa there. Why doesn't he back him ?  this will be the third window he's had bugger all to spend. Everyone knows the teams struggling we need some experienced players in yet Rafa gets no help from Ashley. Rafa must be seething .

Troops man, you have got to relax, you're going to give yourself a heart attack at this rate.

There is no reason at all to think he doesn't want Rafa here because Rafa wouldn't be here if Ashley wanted rid, he doesn't back him because he doesn't back anyone usually, the last manager he backed wasted his money (cheers steve).

Rafa is a smart bloke who does his research and knew who he was signing up to work for, he puts it on in public to pressure for budget or players in because thats the way to do it.

You talk about the way Ashley treats Rafa like hes an abusive spouse.

The reality is, Rafa is a manager working on a limited budget for his department, this happens in workplaces the world over and hes doing a fine job. Ashley isn't going to invest because he doesn't see value in doing so and because if he is wanting to turn the club over to a new owner he wont see a major return on investment for any long term purchases, we're going to see some loans and maybe one permanent signing if a couple of players leave (mitro and colback particularly).

More to the point, whilst we are indeed on a discussion board, you're melting down about this on a daily basis but you can't actually affect any sort of change so just sit back a little and calm down, its only the 4th.

• Like 1

Just now, trooper said:

I just hope everyones right & i'm wrong i dont want to be the guy at the end who says "i told you "

You're not wrong, no one is saying there are no problems or that Rafa is going to get backed etc.

But there is no way this is a shock to him, he's been here nearly two years now and he knows who he is dealing with and what he'll have to work with.

Whether or not hes been given a budget is unknown, its pragmatic to say he has no idea what he has to spend publicly or other clubs will hold out for more money which is a shit when you're trying to maximise its use. Whens the last time you heard a manager anywhere go out and say "yeah I've got a X million pound budget" at a press conference?

9 minutes ago, trooper said:

I just hope everyones right & i'm wrong i dont want to be the guy at the end who says "i told you "

Not really sure what you're getting at. I don't think I've expressed a firm opinion but I tend to believe it probably won't happen because it's us. As for Ashley being a wanker who messes his manager about then whoah, wait a minute, you got me there, I didn't see that coming :razz:

My point was that the Chronicle will most likely have absolutely fuck all idea about what's going on behind closed doors at SJP.

I didnt expect him to say "ive a budget of X amount" but i did expect him to say "yes i know what my budget is"  To not know at such a late stage is taking the piss out of the bloke 

To be fair, it does suit the negotiating stance of the club if Rafa makes it sound like we don't have a lot of money to spend.

Pragmatically, we all know Ashley doesn't want to spend much money. He wants to get out and take as much money with him as possible. Yet I'm sure he's aware we could do with strengthening. So I think this window will be somewhere in between last summer and, say, January 2013 or 2016. Probably closer to last summer.

I also think we're going to find much more value in securing loans for the likes of Walcott, Slimani, Ings etc. than by bringing someone in for £10 - 15m. Chronicle's said we're putting feelers out for Walcott - could he actually do a job for us as a striker?

Up yours Gloomy :D

It's called having an opinion i will not accept thecway the clubs being run as long as Ashkey's here. It's an open forum  & i'll have my say 

Edited by trooper

12 minutes ago, StoneColdStephenIreland said:

I think we need to ban Trooper from this thread just for his own saynity. It's LeazesMaglite.

You would want me banned because i have a different opinion i finf that very bizzare

Edited by trooper
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, StoneColdStephenIreland said:

I think we need to ban Trooper from this thread just for his own sanity. It's LeazesMaglite.

:lol: Not remotely like Leazes, Leazes Lite, Provisional Leazes or even I Can't Believe It's Not Leazes.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, StoneColdStephenIreland said:

:lol:

Nah it's just relentless negativity atm. At least there's news of a potential takeover. God knows what it'd be like if there wasn't anyone coming in for us 

I'd be getting a priest in to read me the last rites tbh.

2 minutes ago, StoneColdStephenIreland said:

:lol:

Nah it's just relentless negativity atm. At least there's news of a potential takeover. God knows what it'd be like if there wasn't anyone coming in for us 

Imagine how you'll feel if it falls through. I'm already there i've premptied this cnut if it goes through i'll be over the moon but i dont trust him as far as i could throw him