The January 2018 transfer window thread

PaddockLad

I don’t think he’ll start many games unless he comes in and makes a big impact but he has to be part of their thinking for the match day squad otherwise what’s the point?

5 hours ago, Dr Gloom said:

I don’t think he’ll start many games unless he comes in and makes a big impact but he has to be part of their thinking for the match day squad otherwise what’s the point?

I agree, I don’t see him starting many games straight away, and I don’t see the point, but he must be part of their thinking somehow. I just can’t see what it is. 

11 hours ago, The Fish said:

I agree, I don’t see him starting many games straight away, and I don’t see the point, but he must be part of their thinking somehow. I just can’t see what it is. 

Fairly standard Chelsea policy...sign half decent prospect to prevent others from doing so...

41 minutes ago, PaddockLad said:

Fairly standard Chelsea policy...sign half decent prospect to prevent others from doing so...

They have space for 4 home grown players in their match squad at the moment, so he's not replacing anybody.

21 minutes ago, ackas said:

They have space for 4 home grown players in their match squad at the moment, so he's not replacing anybody.

Ok, how many Chelsea youngsters currently out on loan at other clubs do you think fit into this criteria:

A Home Grown player will be defined as one who, irrespective of his nationality or age, has been registered with any club affiliated to the Football Association or the Football Association of Wales for a period, continuous or not, of three entire seasons or 36 months prior to his 21st birthday (or the end of the season during which he turns 21).

Seeing as they basically just harvest talented kids for their “youth policy” on an industrial scale its bizarre that someone is justifying this transfer on the grounds of they’ve got space in their first team squad. 

It’s a no brainer for Chelsea. They get him for a bargain fee and if it works out then great, if it doesn’t then they’re unlikely to lose money on him when it comes to reselling.

2 hours ago, PaddockLad said:

He's 24. Does he still count as a prospect? 

2 hours ago, PaddockLad said:

Ok, how many Chelsea youngsters currently out on loan at other clubs do you think fit into this criteria:

https://www.premierleague.com/news/465277

Chelsea have named only 21 out of 25 players in their squad.

They have the maximum of 17 non Home Grown Players.

All of their other players are under 21 players.

Barkley isn't a replacement. They don't have to remove anyone from their squad to add him.

27 minutes ago, ackas said:

https://www.premierleague.com/news/465277

Chelsea have named only 21 out of 25 players in their squad.

They have the maximum of 17 non Home Grown Players.

All of their other players are under 21 players.

Barkley isn't a replacement. They don't have to remove anyone from their squad to add him.

I didn't say he was. I said it's just a basic hoovering up of available talent so he can't play for anyone else in direct competition with Chelsea. My point was Chelsea do this all the time without any regard for whether the player is likely to be good enough or not, Why haven't Chelsea got anyone good enough for the first team squad between the ages of 19-24 seeing as they cynically recruit and then loan out huge numbers of young players?  

Edited by PaddockLad

He’s playing as wing back but has no place being there. Even as a left winger he’s shite. I’ve heard he can produce moments of brilliance but he’s otherwise shite. I’d rather have Ben Arfa and that’s saying something.

Edited by ewerk

Kenedy has masses of potential. I'd take him on an Atsu style loan where we buy him at the end of the season if we're still in the prem. But if the deal is to give him game time for half a season to bring him up from being totally shite to just a bit shite, then we are better of with the wide players we have already, who are mainly just a bit shite.