Newcastle United vs Manchester City - 27/12/17 @ 7:45pm (Live on Sky)

Haydnator

3 hours ago, Kid Dynamite said:

I'm not entirely convinced we played a reserve team. We played our 2 quickest wingers against 2 of the quickest fullbacks in the league. 

Pretty sure he rested Atsu with Saturday in mind.  He's was man of the match against West Ham - made Zabaleta look well past it.

I can't understand why it's only an issue when Newcastle do it. Practically every team that's played Man City has done it.

Although on reflection we did it well, only Chelsea & Everton conceded 1 against MC and Everton were playing against 10 men.

It didn't fit the narrative so Sky kicked off. Simple as that.

The daftest part is when they slag us to bits and then finish with something along the lines of how close we came to nicking a draw and that would have been a great result :lol: 

So they had us getting pumped 5-0, a draw would have been a great result but they were shocked we played a compact and defensive style. 

The idea is this, we're a club in crisis. We demand attacking football, we don't mind if we lose. We go for Man City, we get beat 6-0. Rafa is naive. Hopefully the fans turn on Rafa = TELEVISION 

Instead the fans hold up a 50ft flag before the match reading "triumph through brave defence", we nearly nick a draw by spoiling because we have to & the entire ground is behind the manager and his approach.

Sky were fucking fuming, endlessly repeating how we've lost 5 in a row at home.

"Why don't the fans get on the managers" back said the presenter at the end. Desperate.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Tom said:

The idea is this, we're a club in crisis. We demand attacking football, we don't mind if we lose. We go for Man City, we get beat 6-0. Rafa is naive. Hopefully the fans turn on Rafa = TELEVISION 

Instead the fans hold up a 50ft flag before the match reading "triumph through brave defence", we nearly nick a draw by spoiling because we have to & the entire ground is behind the manager and his approach.

Sky were fucking fuming, endlessly repeating how we've lost 5 in a row at home.

"Why don't the fans get on the managers" back said the presenter at the end. Desperate.

It's laughable when you remember the same "experts" from the press and the TV were slagging Newcastle fans off because we wanted idiots like Pardew and McClown sacked !! 

Those who can't do, coach.  Those who can't coach become pundits.  (Something, something, BT Sport).

They're like critics with zero education in the subject matter they're criticising.  

tbf the UK and Irish football systems spit out some of the dumbest/most ignorant footballers in the world.  French punditry always seemed a lot smarter to me, as do foreign footballers in general.

2 minutes ago, adios said:

Those who can't do, coach.  Those who can't coach become pundits.  (Something, something, BT Sport).

They're like critics with zero education in the subject matter they're criticising.  

tbf the UK and Irish football systems spit out some of the dumbest/most ignorant footballers in the world.  French punditry always seemed a lot smarter to me, as do foreign footballers in general.

Until you hear Julien Laurens going on a totally nonsensical rant about english people apprently not rating Harry Kane, or french people really caring about the annual goal scoring record for french players because they really want Kylian Mbappe to beat Lacazette (who honestly gives even the slightest shit about that really?) 

They're just as bad, they just sound fancier.

Guys like Horncastle and Brassell or Michael Cox are the most worth listening to generally for me.

Have you watched much French commentary?  It's night and day for me.  Everything from the production to the depth of the commentary is smarter.

It's not exactly controversial; just look at the difference in education.

I also think it's why English managers et al. get thrown into crisis situations.  They're simpletons, but that's what you need in the short term.

That one might be a bit more controversial. ;)

2 minutes ago, adios said:

Have you watched much French commentary?  It's night and day for me.  Everything from the production to the depth of the commentary is smarter.

It's not exactly controversial; just look at the difference in education.

I also think it's why English managers et al. get thrown into crisis situations.  They're simpletons, but that's what you need in the short term.

That one might be a bit more controversial. ;)

Not speaking french makes it tricky :razz: I've only really got the frenchies that come over and do british podcasts like Laurens and Auclair to go off. The former being a bit of a berk.

I don't agree on the education front tbf, and I'm not really talking about "former player" pundits either with the people I listen to regularly, when the former pros guest on most pods Im a regular listener of they tend to sound like the dumbest person in the room with the least insight beyond what it was like in their day.

I watched the highlights package from this game, I assume the same one that is shown on MOTD and it showed the Murphy tackle from three different angles, one in slow motion and yet completely failed to show Aaron's chip being cleared off the line. There's favouritism and then there's outright fucking incompetent bias, it's utterly embarrassing for them that it extends so far through the reaches of the company that the editors of the highlights packages show selective highlights that suit their narrative.

Edited by OTF
A

I would have thought you were watching the Sky highlights.

Unless someone is going to blow my mind and tell me that Sky package the BBC highlights.

8 minutes ago, adios said:

I would have thought you were watching the Sky highlights.

Unless someone is going to blow my mind and tell me that Sky package the BBC highlights.

Possibly, it's through Optus is Australia. Whoever is responsible for it should be ashamed. Ball being cleared off the line from a very clever shot not showed at all, admittedly poor challenge shown in triplicate, who does that sort of north korean style coverage ultimately benefit?

I think Sky Sports have the deal for all overseas Premiership coverage.

Sky Sports undoubtedly have agendas that they push through their "journalism".  It's more than just incompetence or unconscious bias.  :tinfoilhat:  

What's funny and strange, is that all Premier League games are shown in the USA.  I have seen where it's listed as not being televised in the UK but it's on over here.

So far I have seen every Newcastle match live on the TV.