Stoke vs Rafa's Rejects

TheGingerQuiff

4 minutes ago, Howmanheyman said:

Joe Allen reckons they'd have been disappointed with just a draw! :lol:

Held our attacking player back but doesn't get booked, I'm disappointed in that Joe. 

:lol: The brass neck man, if we had PL level attackers and the ref actually gave free kicks, bookings, and pens as they’re written in the rules they’d have got an absolute spanking today. Stoke are a fucking shambles, reminded me of that Sheff Wed side that just scythed our players down anytime we started running towards goal. The ref offered just as little protection for our lot as well. 

Was always going to happen versus Stoke with a one goal advantage late in the game.

Hoof ball is very fucking effective with that lanky cunt up there.

Get the fuck in!!!

Good little mini run of form after the horror run. What a win and so needed after only getting a point against Brighton at home. More evidence, as if it were needed, that we should return to the abusive thread titles.

10 minutes ago, Noelie said:

Must admit I thought we were going to blow it in the final 10 minutes. Anyone who wasn't biting their nails obviously weren't watching the match.

I was shiting it the last ten minutes but apart from that they were fucking dire. Had the manager been backed we'd be ok and this would've been a much easier win than it was.

Aye I was nervous at the end as it felt like it was going to be one of those days where we played well, had a measure of comfort in the game, but we weren’t getting anything from the ref or making the most of our chances so ended up conceding a shite equalizer. 

All that said all of my points about Stoke being a complete waste of space still apply. We got accused of anti-football for sitting deep at home to Man City, that line would be far more fitting for this Stoke side. They kicked lumps out of our lot anytime we tried to do anything. 

22 minutes ago, TheGingerQuiff said:

What he said just didn't make sense, he must have been watching a different game than the one i was watching as we were by far the better team.

He said   "Newcastle have come here and done us on the break late on" he gave us no credit what so ever. Sour faced, bitter, sheep headed clown.

Apart from that blip when lascelles was injured and Lejeune was crap, we are still a hard team to beat or break down.

Our problem is we are clueless past the midfield.

Obviously long term we need some quality all around the team in every area, but for the remainder of this season a top drawer midfielder and a proven forward or no 10 in January will see us ok I think. A bit of defensive cover would be good if possible to get Mankini off the pitch, maybe this Kennedy lad on loan ..

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Tdansmith said:

What he said just didn't make sense, he must have been watching a different game than the one i was watching as we were by far the better team.

He said   "Newcastle have come here and done us on the break late on" he gave us no credit what so ever. Sour faced, bitter, sheep headed clown.

Aye he’s talking complete and utter shite. Mind it’s not a shock that his view of the game is that poor when you look at where his Stoke squad are, give Benitez that side and he’d have it comfortably mid table. 

We were the better side by far, they had a spell in the second half but as I said earlier if we had better players or the ref had been in anyway fair we’d have been a few goals to the good by the time their spell started. 

45 minutes ago, Tdansmith said:

He's straight from the Ferguson school of Manc bitterness that never, ever gives credit to the opposition. 

12 of our 22 points have come from Stoke and West Ham :D 

Also got to say Murphy's really come on leaps and bounds. Even if his final balls were poor most of the afternoon, the pass for Perez's goal was excellent.

Get to 25 points with a win against Swansea, and I have to say that'd be a pretty good return for mid-Jan.

Another good away performance where our first goal should have really been our third. What Clark was even attempting for his miss, I've no idea but, other than the last 10 minutes, I thought we were in full control. Stoke, to me, looked like us during the dying embers of Pardew/Carver; rudderless, leaderless with a severe lack of graft. Why Allen and Adam were giving Shelvey 5-10 yards space to pick a pass out every time is a total mystery but that's the kind of shit that the likes of Wigan and Rotherham knew better to do last season ffs. They were always going to come at us in the last 10 minutes with the score being tight but if we had put Merino on instead of Hayden, I think he either scores or picks the right pass during one of those two counter attacks at the end. Still, a good performance and well deserved.

Also, what else do we need to get a penalty? Zouma practically curb stomped Gayle and nothing was given. And I should hope that the ref checks his arrogance next time when he's standing telling our lads "No chance. No way" when he sees the replay back and realises he's made a right fucking pig's arse of it. He won't though. He'll be well protected by the FA and he'll continue to make embarrassing decisions like the rest of his pals who, to a man, are as blind as a goat's arse. That's before mentioning Joe Allen making two bookable offences in the space of about 90 seconds but still playing the full 90. Refereeing decisions against us are basically systematic racism; nobody is really intending to do it, it's just been in place for years and will probably never change.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Ayatollah Hermione said:

Another good away performance where our first goal should have really been our third. What Clark was even attempting for his miss, I've no idea but, other than the last 10 minutes, I thought we were in full control. Stoke, to me, looked like us during the dying embers of Pardew/Carver; rudderless, leaderless with a severe lack of graft. Why Allen and Adam were giving Shelvey 5-10 yards space to pick a pass out every time is a total mystery but that's the kind of shit that the likes of Wigan and Rotherham knew better to do last season ffs. They were always going to come at us in the last 10 minutes with the score being tight but if we had put Merino on instead of Hayden, I think he either scores or picks the right pass during one of those two counter attacks at the end. Still, a good performance and well deserved.

Also, what else do we need to get a penalty? Zouma practically curb stomped Gayle and nothing was given. And I should hope that the ref checks his arrogance next time when he's standing telling our lads "No chance. No way" when he sees the replay back and realises he's made a right fucking pig's arse of it. He won't though. He'll be well protected by the FA and he'll continue to make embarrassing decisions like the rest of his pals who, to a man, are as blind as a goat's arse. That's before mentioning Joe Allen making two bookable offences in the space of about 90 seconds but still playing the full 90. Refereeing decisions against us are basically systematic racism; nobody is really intending to do it, it's just been in place for years and will probably never change.

Good post, the bit about the referees is spot on as well. I can't remember the last time I said 'we were lucky there' regarding a ref making a big wrong decision in our favour. Also that old saying, 'I've seen them given' is true, but they're never given for us! 

We were a tad lucky Murphy didn't see red against Man City, but otherwise I agree. In particular in regards to getting penalties and free-kicks im our favour.

Still can't believe that miss from Clark, on his preferred foot too! If I'm being incredibly generous I'll concede it did bounce immediately before it came to him, but he'll be very relieved that we managed to get the win here. I only watched the first half and then the highlights (unable to select the match for on-demand once it had finished) but if it was more of the same in the second then we should have pummeled them.

As it is I'll take any sort of victory. The saves from Darlow were critical, good to see him put in another good performance. He can make the straightforward look difficult at times, but has a knack for stopping the point blank range. If only he had stronger hands and positioning when coming for the ball.

As others noted from what I saw this was Perez' best game for us in a long time, he was making good runs, good passes and generally good decision making which has been a weakness of his. Deserving that he got the goal and Murphy got the assist. The latter could do with the confidence boost, we're starting to see why he was bought. I've been a big critic of Diame in the past and wanted him rid in the summer but credit where it is due, from what I saw he was excellent. We were a completely different side to the one against Brighton, hopefully this signals the end of Joselu starting matches.