Your CV.

Howmanheyman

Your CV.  

12 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Aye. My Cv is pretty varied and I have a lots of experience/quals for my age in my field, but I've been to interviews in the past where it was obvious I didn't fit. 

Are you looking for help with your CV like mate? I don't mind having a look if so, I have hired and interviewed in the past.

I've done the same job with different employers (and extremely mild hints of rising seniority over time) since leaving university in 2001 so I do worry a lot of employers would think I was unambitious and/or lazy, particularly if I eventually feel like making a sideways step into a different industry without any obvious groundwork for doing so. But I suppose that's the kind of case where you hope to get to interview and explain yourself in more detail than a CV and cover letter can provide.

Of course I might just keep doing the same thing until the robots take over/death. :dunno:

24 minutes ago, Ant said:

which is why i've not had to bother lol but i should going by the amount of hassle i get from recruiters on linked in these days

Aye I must get an email a day from agents. 

I had an email the other week from one who clearly hadn't seen my profile and told me I was a perfect candidate for a position totally unsuitable to me :lol:

48 minutes ago, strawb said:

Aye. My Cv is pretty varied and I have a lots of experience/quals for my age in my field, but I've been to interviews in the past where it was obvious I didn't fit. 

Are you looking for help with your CV like mate? I don't mind having a look if so, I have hired and interviewed in the past.

Cheers, Strawb. Was mainly just being nosy although I am having a word with someone about mine tomorrow. I fancy doing something different and yes I've heard of transferable skills but there's a few examples I've seen where the transferable skills don't seem to be for big leaps from one totally different job to another, more like examples of Sharon moving from office A to slightly different office B. :lol:

Edited by Howmanheyman

If you want me to have a look mate just let me know. Transferable skills in my industry are usually “soft” skills like man management and mentoring etc. So you wouldn’t have to have any kind of quals in them, just demonstrate experience in using them, again imo.

9 hours ago, strawb said:

If you want me to have a look mate just let me know. Transferable skills in my industry are usually “soft” skills like man management and mentoring etc. So you wouldn’t have to have any kind of quals in them, just demonstrate experience in using them, again imo.

Cheers, mate. :good:

I updated mine last year after the gross miscarriage of justice I suffered. Fucking hate job-hunting mind. Agencies are like a plague, definitely a market that needs regulations. Applied for one yesterday which I really fancied, 13 miles away according to CV Library, not bad at all. Got a call today, arranged an interview and found out who the employer was. Got off the phone and googled the company and it's 28 miles away. Or £300 a month in fuel if you have a stupid car. Just emailed him there to pie him off.

Edited by TheGingerQuiff

Broken Britain right there 

My CV is canny enough. Worked in 3 different teams over the past 12 years and got a promotion with each one.

Although in my experience of shortlisting/interviewing other people for jobs, a CV is only there to sort the wheat from the chaff at shortlisting. After that it's how you interview, how much research you've put in prior to interview and whether you can be arsed to contact the interview panel before the day in question 

7 minutes ago, Kid Dynamite said:

whether you can be arsed to contact the interview panel before the day in question 

As a matter of interest, how would you contact the interview panel and what would  you be expected to ask?

10 hours ago, ewerk said:

As a matter of interest, how would you contact the interview panel and what would  you be expected to ask?

In the NHS you usually get told in advance who will be on the interview panel. Best practice is to go and meet the manager of the team/job you're applying for, say hello and have a look around. That gives you a headstart on everyone else before you've even stepped into the interview.

I normally phone the 3 members on the interview panel individually and  ask "what qualities are you looking for?" and "what types of questions can I expect to be asked at interview?". In my experience you usually end up with pointers on exactly what topics you're going to be asked questions on. Obviously this is all dependent on the type of job or industry you're working in but i'd imagine it's similar for most big business.

The first question asked at every interview I've had is "what preparation have you done for your interview today?"

Mine's all right now. Had a mate look over it and offer suggestions a while ago, and he totally reworked it and put it into businessese. Massive error because all the terms and buzzwords he used made me sound a right cunt and after a few weeks of trusting his judgement and getting nothing, I switched to a less Wanker Banker style and I got a much better response.

Agree about recruiters being total cunts mind. They see the headline of a CV and don't understand the industries or geography and give you a call anyway. I was offered <£18k jobs in London, >£70k jobs (which I'm not qualified for) and when you explain to the recruiter that's not what you're after they sound like you've wasted their time.

All agents are cunts imo; estate, recruitment, talent, letting, football, secret.