VAR... really??

PaddockLad

16 hours ago, Ayatollah Hermione said:

I think we’re all missing the point that our refs are absolutely too stupid to know when to call for VAR and when to just deny us a penalty on principle.

Called it. Football refs are fundamentally too stupid regarding basic football laws for this to work smoothly with that lot at the helm

Fuck me, Shearer was having a right go at it yesterday when that Peno wasnt given.  

The VAR isnt going to be perfect, at the end of the day it humans making the decisions behind it.  In Rugby League I have seen loads of decisions that arent clear cut given the other way to what I though and others.

People just dont want change.  For me, it was still not beyond reasonable doubt clear that there was contact last night!

6 hours ago, wykikitoon said:

Fuck me, Shearer was having a right go at it yesterday when that Peno wasnt given.  

The VAR isnt going to be perfect, at the end of the day it humans making the decisions behind it.  In Rugby League I have seen loads of decisions that arent clear cut given the other way to what I though and others.

People just dont want change.  For me, it was still not beyond reasonable doubt clear that there was contact last night!

6 hours ago, ewerk said:

I don't think it was a pen. It's one of those, 'I've seen them given' situations. 

6 hours ago, wykikitoon said:

Aye

Thank Christ; I thought I was losing my marbles the way they were going on about it being a stone-bonker penalty.

James Horncastle was talking about VAR in Italy on the "On the Continent" podcast this week. 

Apparently there has been a big get together of the officials board and all the managers in Serie A to iron out issues, questions and suggestions before the second half of the season and outline where they will be taking it next season.

Its a decent podcast overall anyway but if anyone is interested in where VAR might go in england its worth a listen.

23 hours ago, PaddockLad said:

Perhaps you'd also like to expand on how VAR will change the way the game is played in a fairly significant way? 

Was thinking last night that it could put an end to fuckers diving for pens completely. Loved how brave the ref was. 

This could make the game more honest. We’ll see better goals as a result of it - i love seeing a player get clipped a couple of times and go on to score, the way you’d see the likes of Ben arfa or Gascogne run, with nothing but a blind desire to score.

the annoying thing for me is willian could’ve taken the extra step and shot, but has learned to dive instead for a pretty much nailed on penalty goal.

we might also see better defending in terms of good honest tackling - defenders playing a brave, aggressive game without having to mitigate against practised cheating.

to summarise, i fucking hate diving and think this will sort it out.

On 1/18/2018 at 09:55, Andrew said:

James Horncastle was talking about VAR in Italy on the "On the Continent" podcast this week. 

Apparently there has been a big get together of the officials board and all the managers in Serie A to iron out issues, questions and suggestions before the second half of the season and outline where they will be taking it next season.

Its a decent podcast overall anyway but if anyone is interested in where VAR might go in england its worth a listen.

It was interesting that he was saying there have been significantly less fouls and yellow cards since it was brought in, as since players know they’re being watched more closely they aren’t taking as many risks. 

I think what they were all saying on there was right that the black and white decisions will be helped by it, ones that the official simply missed, but there are a lot of gray areas such as handballs etc where it’s never going to please everyone. 

aye, that bulls knacker today was using as a crutch for every single decision. They'll love it since they don't have to actually make any decisions themselves now. He used it at one point for an offside where about 5 West Brom players were offside ffs. Why bother? That game today was a total shambles. Long periods of fuck all happening that completely threatened the complete spontaneity and charm of football.

• Like 1