VAR... really??

PaddockLad

7 hours ago, Howmanheyman said:

We've just about managed all these years without it tbf. This var from all I've seen of it so far is definitely taking something away from the game, a goal goes in and you half feel people looking around to see whether there's going to be a look at it and refs walking around looking at a screen while everyone waits around. It's fucking bollocks, man. The goal line technology seems to work fine and is instant so that's great but I just think this is spoiling the whole event of a goal being scored. 

But the only time that it stops a goal being celebrated is when there's been an obvious, possible infraction in the lead-up to it. My problem isn't with the concept, it's with the implementation - as things stand, there's a 30 to 60 second period of limbo-like weirdness.  It just needs some theatre around it. Here's what needs to happen. 

When a goal goes in that there needs to be VAR intervention for, the VAR dudes in their little room press a button.  A huge "BEEEEEOOOOUUUUUU" noise sounds in the stadium, and the floodlights turn a low-level RED.  That's it.  The stadium is in INFRACTION TRACTION.  The players and the crowd have to stand stock still and silent as if on pause.  Like on The Cube when everything goes in super slo-mo. 

Only one man moves.  The referee approaches his little telly.  Once he gets to it, he presses a button to start his replay.  At the same time, the timer music off Countdown starts, signalling 30 seconds to a decision......ding ding digging da ding ding digging da ding......dum dah dah DUM DAH DAH DI-DAG DOO-DAH DIDDLEE-DOO-....he presses the relevant decision button and a big voice of god announces it "GOAL!"......"PENALTY!......."FREE KICK".   Pyrotechnics go off around the touchline, lights come back up and the crowd and players react accordingly. 

• Haha 6

4 hours ago, Gemmill said:

But the only time that it stops a goal being celebrated is when there's been an obvious, possible infraction in the lead-up to it. My problem isn't with the concept, it's with the implementation - as things stand, there's a 30 to 60 second period of limbo-like weirdness.  It just needs some theatre around it. Here's what needs to happen. 

When a goal goes in that there needs to be VAR intervention for, the VAR dudes in their little room press a button.  A huge "BEEEEEOOOOUUUUUU" noise sounds in the stadium, and the floodlights turn a low-level RED.  That's it.  The stadium is in INFRACTION TRACTION.  The players and the crowd have to stand stock still and silent as if on pause.  Like on The Cube when everything goes in super slo-mo. 

Only one man moves.  The referee approaches his little telly.  Once he gets to it, he presses a button to start his replay.  At the same time, the timer music off Countdown starts, signalling 30 seconds to a decision......ding ding digging da ding ding digging da ding......dum dah dah DUM DAH DAH DI-DAG DOO-DAH DIDDLEE-DOO-....he presses the relevant decision button and a big voice of god announces it "GOAL!"......"PENALTY!......."FREE KICK".   Pyrotechnics go off around the touchline, lights come back up and the crowd and players react accordingly. 

Alreet, Michael Crichton.

:lol:

On 17/06/2018 at 01:01, Ayatollah Hermione said:

Not sure what's wrong with just having those full kit wankers in the grassing booth giving the ref instant advice. No idea why he has to go up to the tv on wheels to have a look at something that multiple touchers have already told him is a penalty.

Hilarious that they’re kitted up mind, just why? :lol:

Edited by Dr Gloom

@Andrew 

1. Is this "two fouls" thing a new rule brought in specifically for VAR or is it in the FA's Rules of the Game?

2. Were there two fouls when Kane was blatantly halved in the second half?...

This blatant fuckin media driven nonsense certainly shouldn't be getting trialled at the World Cup finals ffs when it's been withdrawn from trials in different leagues around the world.  I've tried to see the positives but it's not doing what it was brought in to sort out consistently enough. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, PaddockLad said:

@Andrew 

1. Is this "two fouls" thing a new rule brought in specifically for VAR or is it in the FA's Rules of the Game?

This blatant fuckin media driven nonsense certainly shouldn't be getting trialled at the World Cup finals ffs when it's been withdrawn from trials in different leagues around the world.  I've tried to see the positives but it's not doing what it was brought in to sort out consistently enough. 

I’m not against it per se but trialling it at the World Cup seems a bit daft to say he least 

2 hours ago, PaddockLad said:

@Andrew 

I agree with you about trialling it at the World Cup, but what you seem to be complaining about is that it hasn't caught all the fouls rather than it being wrong about anything.  :quotes: teething problems :quotes:  

Not sure about being swayed by the media either because I'm paying no attention to sports media other than the (Irish) pundits and they appear to be split about it.  Can't speak for others but all I hear from the likes of @Andrew@strawb and @ewerk are logical arguments.

@Howmanheyman's point about celebrating goals has left me on the fence, like, but that'll all be cleared up by AI in the near future. ;)  

4 hours ago, Ayatollah Hermione said:

It seems immediately apparent that VAR with competent officials is useful and that VAR with the other 90% is a complete waste of time

This is the problem. It’s being reviewed by referees, if the referees are shite then shite decisions will still be made. 

At the moment they have called 3 penalties correctly that wouldn’t have been (clear and obvious mistakes) which would have hanged results, that’s obviously a good thing?

They missed one on Kane, but that’s hardly the fault of a sky TiVo box, the refs were just shit.

1 hour ago, strawb said:

They missed one on Kane, but that’s hardly the fault of a sky TiVo box, the refs were just shit.

Neatly sums up why it's irrelevant nonsense to use it for matters of opinion. 

But it’s changed 3 games by calling penalties correctly, where the result would have been different for the better. 

Is getting 3 right and 1 wrong not miles better than 4 wrong?

• Like 1

Got to move with the times. Football is miles behind other sports when it comes to utilising technology. There’s no reason why it should spoil enjoyment of the game. It has enhanced sports like Tennis and cricket. They just need to work on how it's implemented.  

Those sports are different though, I'm not sure how it works in cricket but in tennis it's obviously an in or out decision and is near instant, just like goal line technology is in football. Those sports are also naturally more stop/start than football. I'm happy to give it a go but decisions need to be made more quickly and only time will tell if that's possible.

• Like 1

it's down to each team to challenge the umpire if they think they're the victim of a dodgy decision. a bit like in tennis. you lose a review if you challenge incorrectly so it encourages teams to only challenge if they think the umpire has made a howler - the umpire's original decision is also given the benefit of the doubt if it's a marginal call on lbw. a similar approach to this could work in football, where a lot of decisions are down to interpretation. the original decision sticks with the referee unless he's had an obvious shocker.

Aye, I've wanted them to use a challenge system since seeing it in the tennis.  

Limits the times it's used, solves the spontaneity and we can even add some Gemmillian theatrics to make us more like the Yanks.

I think that if a decision is to be made, it should be made by the VAR, not just drawing the on-field referee's attention to it to then make the decision.  That is what slows down the game.

I don't want an appeal system. You'd get dickheads like Allardyce or Mourinho appealing an obvious offside just to waste time.

They'll get better at implementing it, it'll just take time.

Gary Neville tweeted that sky have a team of 12 looking at replays and best angles to show for their broadcast, VAR have two. 

Surely let the VAR ref use the broadcasters replays.

The ref on the field should be enforcing decisions made by VAR not the other way round, thats where the delays come in. 

Pointless arguing anyway, it’s here to stay.

I'd imagine that is only the case in live Sky games. If you have 10 games over the course of a weekend that's 120 people analysing decisions. Not impossible given the PL 's resources but getting pthat many people with some level of qualification would take time.