VAR... really??

PaddockLad

Aye, you can get away with slowing down all of the sports that exist because people were shite at either football or cricket. Maybe they can use their video refs to capture some more footage of their desperate inferiority complex and get a close up of the chips on their shoulders. Fat cunts

• Haha 5

19 hours ago, PaddockLad said:

Well if we’re to make a go of it and for it to work “properly” for the people in the stadiums the decisions have to be taken out of the hands of the man in the middle and given to the team in the van back at Wembley. We’ll need some sort of on screen notification at the stadium to indicate something is under review. Then the ref can be signalled whether he’s been overruled and whether he should stop play or not. This will improve the flow of the game and decisions will be quicker. 

Why is the ref being overruled? VAR is an advisory tool, not taking away control from the ref. It's no different to a linesman flagging for something the ref didn't see.

We don't get any on-screen notification that the goal-line tech is buzzing the ref now?

1 hour ago, The Fish said:

Why is the ref being overruled? VAR is an advisory tool, not taking away control from the ref. It's no different to a linesman flagging for something the ref didn't see.

We don't get any on-screen notification that the goal-line tech is buzzing the ref now?

Why did it take 3 minutes to make a decision the other night in the Ajax v Madrid game? If you’ve got to look that hard then surely it’s not a “clear and obvious error” by the ref? If you want  to take it to that level better to have the truck geeks to do it all then tell the ref? Not say “ err have a look” . what happens when the ref disagrees with the truck geeks? Game keeps flowing then.

People in the stadium need to know when incidents are under review as soon as they start looking at it so they know play may be dragged back. If a ref suddenly blows up after a potential 3 minute look at an incident they then need to know why and what for etc. If VAR is to end the admittedly ridiculous current situation  where viewers know more than the ref then that should go for the crowd at the game too. 

5 minutes ago, PaddockLad said:

Just put it on....apparently there was another “clear and obvious” thingy that took about a month to assess :razz: 

Otamendi off :lol:

It took absoultely ages because the screen at the side of the pitch wasn't working :lol:

How we can have champions league games worth millions between clubs run by two worldwide financial powerhouses and not have a fucking working tv is beyond me tbh :lol:

Otamendi is an oddball like, seems to be rated by his managers wherever he goes but always seems to be moments away from dropping an absolute bollock.

1 hour ago, Andrew said:

It took absoultely ages because the screen at the side of the pitch wasn't working :lol:

How we can have champions league games worth millions between clubs run by two worldwide financial powerhouses and not have a fucking working tv is beyond me tbh :lol:

Otamendi is an oddball like, seems to be rated by his managers wherever he goes but always seems to be moments away from dropping an absolute bollock.

He's shit, with the money at their disposal it's baffling how he still gets anywhere near the first team.

21 hours ago, PaddockLad said:

Why did it take 3 minutes to make a decision the other night in the Ajax v Madrid game? If you’ve got to look that hard then surely it’s not a “clear and obvious error” by the ref? If you want  to take it to that level better to have the truck geeks to do it all then tell the ref? Not say “ err have a look” . what happens when the ref disagrees with the truck geeks? Game keeps flowing then.

People in the stadium need to know when incidents are under review as soon as they start looking at it so they know play may be dragged back. If a ref suddenly blows up after a potential 3 minute look at an incident they then need to know why and what for etc. If VAR is to end the admittedly ridiculous current situation  where viewers know more than the ref then that should go for the crowd at the game too. 

Because the ref was poor. The idea is fine, it's application needs improving and that will come with experience. Ref has final say. Frankly we should be getting to the stage where the ref can view the incident by jogging over to the linesman who's got an iPad stuffed down his shorts. Ref stops the game, reviews the major incident, Bob's your uncle.

If the ref is reviewing the VAR the game is stopped, why does the crowd need to be told what they can clearly see is a VAR review? Or do you mean the crowd should be watching the incident at the same time as the ref but on a big screen?

Personally, I think the ref should be mic-ed up. Similar to Cricket. Call his decision and ask/go for a review, then if there's a clear and obvious incident overturn or confirm his decision. That way the crowd knows what the review is about without necessitating a big screen display. Also, only the manager or Captain should be allowed to request VAR. I wouldn't have what happened on the Schalke bench happening again.

It should be similar to Mitch Hedberg's idea about car horns.

"I think we should only get 3 honks a month on the car horn, because people honk the car horn too much. 3 honks, that's the limit. And then someone cuts you off, ffffft, you press your horn, nothing happens. You're like, "shit! I wish I wouldn't have seen Ricky on the sidewalk!""

Waste all of your appeals on corners and speculative offsides and risk the consequences.

• 1 month later...

So a pen was awarded against Rose last night that none of the city players claimed for and was awarded on the basis of some bullshit uefa guideline about arms being outside the silhouette of the body. Are clubs about to start playing in fuckin straight jackets for European games then because am fucked if I know where players  should put their arms if that’s the criteria for a pen now, and not the 150 year old “DELIBERATE” thing you may remember from your youth. Two minutes stoppage for something that definitely, in no sane persons opinion could possibly termed “a clear and obvious error” .  

Can I have the first apologist please? :angry:

• Like 1

IIRC every club in the CL was specifically warned that this sort of handball would be something that was being looked out for this season. He had fair warning and the correct decision was awarded.

1 hour ago, The Fish said:

Your argument in this instance isn't against VAR, it's against part of the hand ball law. 

It's not the handball law. Its UEFA guidelines to refs. The penalty was awarded, why did it have to be confirmed by stopping the play for 2 minutes so it could be slowed down and viewed from several different angles, giving an utterly false perspective from viewing it in normal time? It's still a pen or not a pen.  Its plainly not a "clear & obvious error". It's an opinion, regardless. 

33 minutes ago, ewerk said:

IIRC every club in the CL was specifically warned that this sort of handball would be something that was being looked out for this season. He had fair warning and the correct decision was awarded.

Agreed. Why was it reviewed again? 

• 1 month later...

Well thats a matter of opinion.

As you well know my opinion on it is that it is a good idea, the technology is as good as it needs to be even, but that doesn't mean it isn't poorly used in some cases.

Thats normal for something new though, the rules may need to change to give a clearer implementation, the information given in the stadiums needs to improve etc.

Refs can't keep up with the game properly these days and they fuck up far more often than VAR does, when its done properly it reduces errors and can bring the game back to the actual competition between two teams, reduce cheating and might actually help us get some penalties or an opponent sent off for once. 

But it'll need some severe, consistent catastrophes before I think #noVar is the right way to go personally.

And Danny Baker is a prick so I'm automatically less inclined to see his point of view favourably.

3 minutes ago, Andrew said:

Well thats a matter of opinion.

As you well know my opinion on it is that it is a good idea, the technology is as good as it needs to be even, but that doesn't mean it isn't poorly used in some cases.

Thats normal for something new though, the rules may need to change to give a clearer implementation, the information given in the stadiums needs to improve etc.

Refs can't keep up with the game properly these days and they fuck up far more often than VAR does, when its done properly it reduces errors and can bring the game back to the actual competition between two teams, reduce cheating and might actually help us get some penalties or an opponent sent off for once. 

But it'll need some severe, consistent catastrophes before I think #noVar is the right way to go personally.

And Danny Baker is a prick so I'm automatically less inclined to see his point of view favourably.

Agree with all that. I’ve said it on here before that the rules will have to be tweaked for it to work as intended. 

Danny Baker is right about the spirit in which it’s been introduced though. England had a goal chalked off for the scorers toe being offside the other night ffs. That isn’t football that I grew up with. That’s a gimmick for TV fans most of whom wouldn’t know a football ground from their own arrsehole & money being more important than the game itself.