Craig Levein

Shearergol

Sacked after 1 win in 15.

the club's perilous position in the Championship was behind Levein's exit.

Our league position is unacceptable and we need to make a change.

Reading that Freddie? That's what other Chairmen do about poor performance.

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sacked after 1 win in 15.

the club's perilous position in the Championship was behind Levein's exit.

Our league position is unacceptable and we need to make a change.

Reading that Freddie? That's what other Chairmen do about poor performance.

84613[/snapback]

Thought along similar lines when I heard it on the news

You would have thought in this day an age that someone supposedly as financially astute as FS, he'd add in some get out clause relating to poor performances or the like wouldn't you... or is there some silly rule that prevents that?

I bet they didn't need to pay him £3m to leave though  ;)  :unsure:

84620[/snapback]

That's pretty much the top and bottom of it I'm afraid. :razz:

84659[/snapback]

Well which useless twat put that in his contract?

84671[/snapback]

Now, now..

we can't diss Freddy, after all he's the greatest chairman in the world simply on account of sticking his hand in his pocket.... :lol:

Well I don't know, I've seen enough posts going on about manu sticking by Alex Ferguson and not doing what the fans wanted...

Is Souey going to miraculouslty turn into Alex Ferguson or Craig Levein ?

I bet they didn't need to pay him £3m to leave though  :unsure:  :lol:

84620[/snapback]

That's pretty much the top and bottom of it I'm afraid. ;)

84659[/snapback]

84671[/snapback]

standard procedure in line with the managers union etc, all clubs do this, same as players.....bad craic I agree

84620[/snapback]

84659[/snapback]

84671[/snapback]

Now, now..

we can't diss Freddy, after all he's the greatest chairman in the world simply on account of sticking his hand in his pocket.... :lol:

84692[/snapback]

Got a question for you and the others Craig.

Seeing as none of you take up my challenge to name all the dozens of chairman who have shown the ambition to back their managers as much as Shepherd, what would you do if, or when :

He goes and we do replace him with a Doug Ellis/Bob Murray [add Bates, Al Fayed,

Ridsdale, Gold, Hamman, Haywood, Mandrovic, Lowe, Kenwright, Sugar, Brown, Reynolds type]. Not to mention the names from our own past ie Westwood, Seymour, McKeag ?

Far more likely than a Gibson or a Dein .... [although both of these have dropped a bollock as well...]

No-one's ever questioned Shepherd's backing of his managers....

It's everything else they question...

Why do you focus on the only positive about Shepherd?

Shepherd backs the managers at the Toon, but surely this is down to the fact that the club's large fanbase (couple with TV revenue) provides him with the opportunity to do this. In any case, in most other footballing respects the bloke is a fuckwit who can't keep his embarassing gob shut.

84715[/snapback]

because it is THE single most important thing. The best manager in the world won't do anything without money.

Forget all the crap about "5 year plans" etc etc ....... the mackems during the 60's and 70's fed their fans this claptrap during the years of Alan Brown, George Hardwick and Ian McColl [as Rob may confirm] - then they missed out on Brian Clough !

The chairman of Newcastle appoints proven successful managers who have won the big trophies in football, he then gives them as much backing to do his job in their own way, which is easily enough to be successful [more than Wenger has been given by Dein BTW], on top of that he was been in charge of the development of the stadium and completely overseen the building of a brand new training complex and sports academy with all the up to date facilities.

Now YOU tell me what else a chairman can do ?

This "Shepherd to blame" is nothing than a hyped bandwagon that everyone is jumping on without thinking of the alternatives or the facts. Even more so when you all change your tune every 5 minutes.....for instance when he shelled out the money for Boumsong, Luque and Owen it was "good old Freddie" etc etc ..... do you need a chairman to spend big money every month to prove himself to you ?

The fact that most of you welcomed 2 of those and they are now turning out to be expensive flops [says much for your own judgement too, before you criticise Shepherd] isn't the chairmans fault when it is the manager who targetted them ?

As I said earlier, Shepherd has gave all his [proven] managers more than enough cash and freedom to be successful, he's done his part, it is then up to the manager to deliver on the field.

The next manager will again be one who has won things or has the potential to ie Allardyce, Shepherd will back him the same as the others, so if they fail it won't be through lack of support from the chairman. Dalglish and Gullitt have both gone on record as saying that they have no complaints whatsoever about Shepherd, he supported them 100%

So who is to blame for appointing Souness then LM? You yourself wanted Souness out from day one but you refuse to criticise the bloke who appointed him.

Shepherd backs the managers at the Toon, but surely this is down to the fact that the club's large fanbase (couple with TV revenue) provides him with the opportunity to do this.

84735[/snapback]

Exactly. Pointing at chairmen of clubs that make no money and comparing Shepherd to them is ridiculous.

Shepherd backs the managers at the Toon, but surely this is down to the fact that the club's large fanbase (couple with TV revenue) provides him with the opportunity to do this.

84735[/snapback]

Exactly. Pointing at chairmen of clubs that make no money and comparing Shepherd to them is ridiculous.

84750[/snapback]

If Shepherd became Sunderland chairman tomorrow they'd spend £50million on tranfers over the next 12 months though.

84620[/snapback]

84659[/snapback]

84671[/snapback]

Now, now..

84692[/snapback]

Seeing as none of you take up my challenge to name all the dozens of chairman who have shown the ambition to back their managers as much as Shepherd, what would you do if, or when :

He goes and we do replace him with a Doug Ellis/Bob Murray [add Bates, Al Fayed,

Ridsdale, Gold, Hamman, Haywood, Mandrovic, Lowe, Kenwright, Sugar, Brown, Reynolds type]. Not to mention the names from our own past ie Westwood, Seymour, McKeag ?

Far more likely than a Gibson or a Dein .... [although both of these have dropped a bollock as well...]

84706[/snapback]

As an aside I've heard that Steve Gibson is running out of the type of money needed to bankroll Boro singlehandedly. If they go down the crowds will disappear and they will be massively in the shit.

84620[/snapback]

84659[/snapback]

84671[/snapback]

Now, now..

84692[/snapback]

84706[/snapback]

As an aside I've heard that Steve Gibson is running out of the type of money needed to bankroll Boro singlehandedly. If they go down the crowds will disappear and they will be massively in the shit.

84759[/snapback]

Lad I used to work with reckoned the buzz round Boro was that a lot of their transfers were funded by a "mystery benefactor" (not Gibson).

Gibson must wonder why he bothers sometimes when you see the crowds that lot get in.

84715[/snapback]

because it is THE single most important thing. The best manager in the world won't do anything without money.

84737[/snapback]

I re-iterate:

No-one has questioned Shepherd's financial input. But:

- Sacking Robson 2 days before the transfer window closes and without a contingency.

- Bidding for Rooney with the money we got for Woodgate when we desperately needed a quality central defender

- Appointing Souness

have all had a detrimental effect on the fortunes of this club.

Had he sacked Robson having properly planned a replacement (as Chelsea and Liverpool did), then we wouldn't have had to 'make-do' with Souness and I doubt very much we'd be in the position we are now...

As I've said before, handing over the reddies is only a small part of the responsiblity of a club chairman and in him doing so, it doesn't excuse all the other fuck-ups (which far exceed the positives) he makes.

84715[/snapback]

84737[/snapback]

I re-iterate:

- Sacking Robson 2 days before the transfer window closes and without a contingency.

- Bidding for Rooney with the money we got for Woodgate when we desperately needed a quality central defender

- Appointing Souness

Had he sacked Robson having properly planned a replacement (as Chelsea and Liverpool did), then we wouldn't have had to 'make-do' with Souness and I doubt very much we'd be in the position we are now...

As I've said before, handing over the reddies is only a small part of the responsiblity of a club chairman and in him doing so, it doesn't excuse all the other fuck-ups (which far exceed the positives) he makes.

84764[/snapback]

In actual fact, the revenue that NUFC bring in, and the cash that this affords Shepherd actually masks what a poor job he's doing. He's always got that to fall back on and clearly it fools some people into thinking that he's doing a great job, when in actual fact, in pretty much every respect other than transfer outlay, he's failing.

84715[/snapback]

84737[/snapback]

I re-iterate:

- Appointing Souness

84764[/snapback]

In actual fact, the revenue that NUFC bring in, and the cash that this affords Shepherd actually masks what a poor job he's doing. He's always got that to fall back on and clearly it fools some people into thinking that he's doing a great job, when in actual fact, in pretty much every respect other than transfer outlay, he's failing.

84770[/snapback]

This I agree with. The fact is that Freddy always just "does enough" to keep us off his back.

Fans, pissed off, bid for Rooney, then buy Luque..... he's injured..... shit buy Owen.

But, his actions, other than saving his own skin, have no planning whatsoever.

84715[/snapback]

84737[/snapback]

I re-iterate:

- Appointing Souness

84764[/snapback]

84770[/snapback]

why don't the other club ie the chairman attempt tio match our turnover and ambition ?

84715[/snapback]

84737[/snapback]

I re-iterate:

- Appointing Souness

84764[/snapback]

84770[/snapback]

This I agree with. The fact is that Freddy always just "does enough" to keep us off his back.

Fans, pissed off, bid for Rooney, then buy Luque..... he's injured..... shit buy Owen.

But, his actions, other than saving his own skin, have no planning whatsoever.

84793[/snapback]

plan for what exactly ?

This is football, not the high street

So who is to blame for appointing Souness then LM? You yourself wanted Souness out from day one but you refuse to criticise the bloke who appointed him.

84745[/snapback]

for about the hundredth time Alex, one bad appointment doesn't make a bad chairman ..... Are Liverpool a bad board for appointing Souness ?

A straight answer from all of you will suffice, yes or no