Craig Levein

Shearergol

Shepherd backs the managers at the Toon, but surely this is down to the fact that the club's large fanbase (couple with TV revenue) provides him with the opportunity to do this.

84735[/snapback]

Exactly. Pointing at chairmen of clubs that make no money and comparing Shepherd to them is ridiculous.

84750[/snapback]

So how come othe big clubs don't tap their fanbases so well as us ?

A straight answer will do

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Shepherd backs the managers at the Toon, but surely this is down to the fact that the club's large fanbase (couple with TV revenue) provides him with the opportunity to do this.

84735[/snapback]

Exactly. Pointing at chairmen of clubs that make no money and comparing Shepherd to them is ridiculous.

84750[/snapback]

84797[/snapback]

More to do with the fans than the clubs IMO. Which clubs do you mean when you say big clubs?

No-one's ever questioned Shepherd's backing of his managers....

It's everything else they question...

Why do you focus on the only positive about Shepherd?

84715[/snapback]

because it is THE single most important thing. The best manager in the world won't do anything without money.

84737[/snapback]

I re-iterate:

No-one has questioned Shepherd's financial input. But:

- Sacking Robson 2 days before the transfer window closes and without a contingency.

- Bidding for Rooney with the money we got for Woodgate when we desperately needed a quality central defender

- Appointing Souness

have all had a detrimental effect on the fortunes of this club.

Had he sacked Robson having properly planned a replacement (as Chelsea and Liverpool did), then we wouldn't have had to 'make-do' with Souness and I doubt very much we'd be in the position we are now...

As I've said before, handing over the reddies is only a small part of the responsiblity of a club chairman and in him doing so, it doesn't excuse all the other fuck-ups (which far exceed the positives) he makes.

84764[/snapback]

It's fairly obvious that he was hoping to maintain stability...you know that thing you keep saying we should do....

I don't see what is wrong with bidding for a world class player like Rooney....I don't think you would have said it was so wrong if it had came about [like Owen]

Why am I not surprised you are still not thinking this through and answering the whole post or my previous realistic questions ?

Also, if sacking a manager a few games into the season is so bad, did you complain when he sacked Gullit for Robson, or even on reflection consider it to have been the wrong thing ? If not, why not ?

Would you rather we were one of those clubs with a chairman afraid to gamble and speculate ?

Again. straight answers to these straight questions will suffice ?

84735[/snapback]

84750[/snapback]

84797[/snapback]

More to do with the fans than the clubs IMO. Which clubs do you mean when you say big clubs?

84800[/snapback]

see my post at 1147. Some are big clubs, the others and all of them are underachieving

Edited by LeazesMag

84735[/snapback]

84750[/snapback]

84797[/snapback]

Sorry, are you suggesting that our attendances are down to Shepherd's ability to "tap the fanbase"? It's nothing to do with that - Newcastle get big attendances in spite of Shepherd, not because of him.

Whne he sacked Gullit, he didn't have Robson lined up, it just so happened he was available, that's luck not good management.

84803[/snapback]

how do you know ....

were you against sacking Gullit, or do you think he should have been given more time ?

Gullit walked didn't he?

Anyway, I don't see any clubs you've mentioned as "big" but I guess that's down to what you think a big club is.

84809[/snapback]

well, none of them are as big as us ..... but thats because we are punching our weight and acting bigger than them, which is pretty much my point

To be honest, I don't think too many of you realise just what a shit chairman REALLY means....

You can always ask the mackems, who should themselves be the 4th/5th biggest club in the country support wise

Whne he sacked Gullit, he didn't have Robson lined up, it just so happened he was available, that's luck not good management.

84803[/snapback]

how do you know ....

were you against sacking Gullit, or do you think he should have been given more time ?

84807[/snapback]

How do you know Souness assaulted Bellamy?

:lol:

Keep it up lads, I can see Leazes breaking here. I think he's just about to come round to the other side of the argument........! :lol:

84810[/snapback]

not a chance mate, I know I'm right ....

just like about Luque :unsure:

... and Kluivert ;)

... and Souness :razz:

... and Bellamy B)

Gullit walked didn't he?

Anyway, I don't see any clubs you've mentioned as "big" but I guess that's down to what you think a big club is.

84809[/snapback]

Good point :lol:

Gullit walked didn't he?

84809[/snapback]

well, none of them are as big as us ..... but thats because we are punching our weight and acting bigger than them, which is pretty much my point

To be honest, I don't think too many of you realise just what a shit chairman REALLY means....

You can always ask the mackems, who should themselves be the 4th/5th biggest club in the country support wise

84816[/snapback]

Their population is miniscule and they half fill a 40-odd thousand seater stadium with vastly subsidised/freeby tickets?????? :lol:

84803[/snapback]

how do you know ....

84807[/snapback]

84817[/snapback]

because I do :unsure:

Keep it up lads, I can see Leazes breaking here. I think he's just about to come round to the other side of the argument........! :lol:

84810[/snapback]

... and Kluivert ;)

... and Bellamy B)

84818[/snapback]

Kluivert and Luque are rumoured to be Shepherd signings.

84803[/snapback]

how do you know ....

84807[/snapback]

84817[/snapback]

because I do ;)

84821[/snapback]

Ok then, you 've got me there :unsure:

Gullit walked didn't he?

84809[/snapback]

84816[/snapback]

Their population is miniscule and they half fill a 40-odd thousand seater stadium with vastly subsidised/freeby tickets?????? :lol:

84820[/snapback]

nah, don't run them down just because they are our local rivals, Newcastle and Sunderland after manu would get the biggest crowds in the country if they had half the success Liverpool and Arsenal have had

84810[/snapback]

... and Kluivert ;)

... and Bellamy B)

84818[/snapback]

84822[/snapback]

no chance

84735[/snapback]

84750[/snapback]

84797[/snapback]

Sorry, are you suggesting that our attendances are down to Shepherd's ability to "tap the fanbase"? It's nothing to do with that - Newcastle get big attendances in spite of Shepherd, not because of him.

84805[/snapback]

we got big crowds pre-1992 did we ?

84810[/snapback]

just like about Luque ;)

... and Kluivert :razz:

... and Souness B)

... and Bellamy :rolleyes:

84818[/snapback]

84822[/snapback]

no chance

84831[/snapback]

You 'know' this, I take it :unsure:

Gullit walked didn't he?

84809[/snapback]

84816[/snapback]

84820[/snapback]

nah, don't run them down just because they are our local rivals, Newcastle and Sunderland after manu would get the biggest crowds in the country if they had half the success Liverpool and Arsenal have had

84828[/snapback]

Yes but they dont. And we get more support than Liverpool or Arse and we've had as much success as the Mackems. Zero.

Edited by manc-mag

Gullit walked didn't he?

84809[/snapback]

84816[/snapback]

84820[/snapback]

84828[/snapback]

Surely you mean "if they had a better chairman"? Otherwise, doesn't that go against what you've been trying to say?

Are you seriously claiming that Newcastle United have this fan base purely because FS has let his managers spend the clubs money?

84735[/snapback]

84750[/snapback]

84797[/snapback]

84805[/snapback]

we got big crowds pre-1992 did we ?

84832[/snapback]

Doesn't that defeat your argument though, surely that's why Shepherd is better at doling out the cash than pre-1992?

84810[/snapback]

just like about Luque ;)

... and Kluivert :razz:

... and Souness B)

... and Bellamy :rolleyes:

84818[/snapback]

84822[/snapback]

no chance

84831[/snapback]

You 'know' this, I take it :unsure:

84833[/snapback]

yes.

But Bobby Robson has said he signed Kluivert - he has an axe to grind so could easily say different - and Souness may be the biggest idiot ever to manage NUFC but he's nobodies yes man