The World's Wealth

Anorthernsoul

I just don't get the mentality of the super rich, where making money just becomes an end in itself. What's the point? Ashley, a billionaire, can't even derive pleasure from his football club, all he wants it for is to make more money, directly and indirectly. Why? If wealth inequality continues on its current trajectory it's all going to end in tears you Davos fuckers. 

On a side note, who the fuck are these idiots that post on HYS on the BBC? If that's an accurate cross section of the UK public then this country is fucked. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Renton said:

I just don't get the mentality of the super rich, where making money just becomes an end in itself. What's the point? Ashley, a billionaire, can't even derive pleasure from his football club, all he wants it for is to make more money, directly and indirectly. Why? If wealth inequality continues on its current trajectory it's all going to end in tears you Davos fuckers. 

On a side note, who the fuck are these idiots that post on HYS on the BBC? If that's an accurate cross section of the UK public then this country is fucked. 

You're right like. Not that I feel remotely sorry for him, obviously, but it's probably caused him loads of stress over the past decade with relatively little in return. Apart from those early days you don't get the impression he's enjoyed being the owner and now he's clinging onto it for a bit more money. It's acquiring wealth purely for the sake of it without actually gaining pleasure from it. Although perhaps that's what sets these people apart in that he does derive pleasure just from knowing he has even more in the bank. It seems utterly pointless though, I agree

I've argued that when it comes to footballers wages, it's all about ego rather than economics as beyond a certain level it's just figures. 

A lad at work's wife is a lawyer who works for a firm which looks after the super rich and she told him about a Russian whose assets were frozen as a result of a court case who argued he needed 80k a month to live on. A lot of that was to pay the wages of the staff of his super yacht which he hardly uses. The only point of it is dick waving to other super rich. 

I'm sure it's the same for Ashley - it's just about position on the forbes list. 

TBF we're evolutionarily programmed to seek more and more.  Dopamine rewards are fleeting; we very quickly become accustomed to the new normal and :quotes: need :quotes: more.

Ashley going from a couple billion to a million would probably hurt as much as @ChezGiven or  @Park Life going from a couple million to £100k.

The reality that anything over £70k pa. (getting off the bottom couple rungs of Maslow's hierarchy) doesn't make us any happier is lost on a lot of people who just aren't educated enough to realise that we can redirect that instinct into more fulfilling areas of our lives (but we'll still strive for constant advancement in those areas).

Obviously this is a general statement but we're all somewhere on that spectrum.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, adios said:

TBF we're evolutionarily programmed to seek more and more.  Dopamine rewards are fleeting; we very quickly become accustomed to the new normal and :quotes: need :quotes: more.

Ashley going from a couple billion to a million would probably hurt as much as @ChezGiven or  @Park Life going from a couple million to £100k.

The reality that anything over £70k pa. (getting off the bottom couple rungs of Maslow's hierarchy) doesn't make us any happier is lost on a lot of people who just aren't educated enough to realise that we can redirect that instinct into more fulfilling areas of our lives (but we'll still strive for constant advancement in those areas).

Obviously this is a general statement but we're all somewhere on that spectrum.

It's interesting. I'd certainly like more than 70k pa. Say I had twice that, would I be satisfied? Probably not, but what's the threshold for financial contentment?

I think I'd be contented if I had a reasonably sized house in the town where I live, no day to day financial concerns, and enough for foreign holidays, without worrying about the cost. Maybe a modest holiday home in the lakes. Eat out when I want etc. I don't give a shit about cars, fashion or other material items like that. Also massively important is to do a satisfying job with the prospect of a decent early retirement. 

Not wanting much then. :D But you're right. What if somehow I achieved all this? Would I be driven to the next rung, maybe Chez Given level? If this is an intrinsic part of human nature then the implications are profoundly depressing. Also, there is no way the planet can support even my relatively modest desires for everyone. Apparently most people who post on this board are probably in the top 1% of the rch list globally. Certainly doesn't feel like it. 

1 hour ago, Renton said:

It's interesting. I'd certainly like more than 70k pa. Say I had twice that, would I be satisfied? Probably not, but what's the threshold for financial contentment?

I think I'd be contented if I had a reasonably sized house in the town where I live, no day to day financial concerns, and enough for foreign holidays, without worrying about the cost. Maybe a modest holiday home in the lakes. Eat out when I want etc. I don't give a shit about cars, fashion or other material items like that. Also massively important is to do a satisfying job with the prospect of a decent early retirement. 

Not wanting much then. :D But you're right. What if somehow I achieved all this? Would I be driven to the next rung, maybe Chez Given level? If this is an intrinsic part of human nature then the implications are profoundly depressing. Also, there is no way the planet can support even my relatively modest desires for everyone. Apparently most people who post on this board are probably in the top 1% of the rch list globally. Certainly doesn't feel like it. 

Aye, I agree with your target more and tbf I'm citing a study or two which I haven't even read the abstracts of that set the line at ~$75k, but when we take parity purchasing power into account might be more like £110k pa.

I think the main point of those studies in that on average we are far better concentrating on things like family and friends and exploring what makes us tick than wasting our lives chasing that extra luxury for two weeks a year or an extra guest bedroom.

I recently tried reading Five Regrets of the Dying and number two of the list was "working too much".

I gave up on it because I found the whole thing too flowery and honestly think her blog post says all you need to know:

http://www.bronnieware.com/blog/regrets-of-the-dying

I think to get to a position with no responsibilities like mortgages and the freedom to do reasonably stupid things without worrying would be my aim/limit.

I remember when U2 did a bit of a comeback around 2001 they announced a loosener type gig in San Francisco supported by Oasis and I remember thinking I'd love to able to just go without much thought - that's the level of reasonable stupidity I mean. 

24 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

I went to see them around that time. In San Jose though. And not supported by Oasis. 

Did you have to ask for directions?