Laptop Advice

Christmas Tree

I’ve found an old laptop in the lift (everyone uses i stuff or the desktop pc) it’s a Dell inspirion N5040 with vista windows 7 on.

This isn’t supported anymore so I was thinking of updating it for the bairn to do schoolwork etc.

First of all last time it was in use my (more useless than me) brother in law tried to do a systems restore and now when it boots we just get this screen.

Secondly, if I just buy a copy of Windows 10 and popped it in, would it fix this?

cheers.

4ECA66EE-A4A2-4EB1-820D-02DC9BDDDF2E.jpeg

If you look around online you might be able to find a windows 7 bootable disk or at least a guide and the downloads to create one. Sounds like Microsoft won't have the download any more though.

Honestly though, this thing is gonna run like shit when you get it up and running. I doubt 10 will work on it at all. 

You be better off buying the kid a laptop for a couple of hundred. It won't run great but it'll be much better than this.  

39 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

If you look around online you might be able to find a windows 7 bootable disk or at least a guide and the downloads to create one. Sounds like Microsoft won't have the download any more though.

Honestly though, this thing is gonna run like shit when you get it up and running. I doubt 10 will work on it at all. 

You be better off buying the kid a laptop for a couple of hundred. It won't run great but it'll be much better than this.  

Cheers. As it happens I found a copy of Windows 7 that someone on here sent me years ago, booted it up and installed Windows 10.

Seems to run fine. Happy ending :)

8 hours ago, Christmas Tree said:

None taken, I was just wooshed and trying to see where I suggested it :lol:

On 27/01/2018 at 16:02, Christmas Tree said:

I’ve found an old laptop in the lift

;)

… shaft? 

• 2 years later...

Windows 10 (originally an earlier operating system ) on my venerable Samsung 17 incher has failed to accept the latest Skygo upgrade leaving me mostly watching football on my iPad, which I’m sure you’ll all agree is frankly unacceptable :(

So an upgrade is required...I’d still like the large screen which I understand is limiting. I’m toying with this, which for me is future proofing to a degree that I find hard to justify but it’s a fuckin beauty and  to my uneducated eye not a ridiculous price for what you get...

https://business.currys.co.uk/catalogue/computing/laptops/windows-laptop/hp-envy-17-cg0511sa-17-3-intel-core-i7-laptop-1-tb-hdd-256-gb-ssd-silver/N575298W

I’m sure I don’t need an i7 chip, an i5 would be ok if the most I’m doing with it is streaming . Thing is, I’m lost outside of these terms for what a decent processor is, am wondering what an i5 equivalent Celeron or other may be? There are some cheaper models but with these unfamiliar terms that I’m a bit unsure about...can any tech genuii help? :unsure:

Timely. I'm thinking of getting the daughter a laptop, no happy ending required. Its likely Gemmill will get his wish and schools will shutdown at some stage, thought a laptop is a better solution for Google classroom etc than a tablet .

Anyhow my budget is 500 quid max, preferably nearer 400. At that price level, am I better going for a win10 laptop or a chrome book? 

8 hours ago, Renton said:

Timely. I'm thinking of getting the daughter a laptop, no happy ending required. Its likely Gemmill will get his wish and schools will shutdown at some stage, thought a laptop is a better solution for Google classroom etc than a tablet .

Anyhow my budget is 500 quid max, preferably nearer 400. At that price level, am I better going for a win10 laptop or a chrome book? 

Win 10 for me.  Chromebooks are too limited IMHO, but may be alright for school, if that is to be the only use, I suppose.