Laptop Advice

Christmas Tree

28 minutes ago, Renton said:

Is a surface pro a food compromise? They've released a 550 pound model which is a big price drop, could stretch to that I guess. 

I don't know much about laptops (we have pretty high spec Dells from work) but I've heard nothing but good things about surface pros. I do think they're a bit too expensive but if you can get a discount or maybe a more base model then I think it would be a good choice. 

You could also buy refurbished and get some good value. I got a 16GB RAM, i7, 750 (combined) HDD for £500 with an NVIDEA 1050.

£300 Would probably get you an 8GB RAM with a basic card on an i5.

@Renton I use a surface Pro for work and it's spot on. I was running a painfully resource intensive excel model last year (this thing took 24 hours to spit out an answer) and the IT blokes set me up with a virtual machine with all this super RAM thinking it would chin the Surface Pro. Anyway the Surface Pro was way quicker than their fancy dancy virtual machine. 

Cheers. I like the idea you can use it as a tablet or laptop. This is for a 9 year old like, so don't need the power of a pro, will go with the Surface Go. As long as it runs office and videoconferencing, that'll be fine. If it doesn't run Roblox, that's a bonus. 

1 hour ago, Renton said:

Cheers. I like the idea you can use it as a tablet or laptop. This is for a 9 year old like, so don't need the power of a pro, will go with the Surface Go. As long as it runs office and videoconferencing, that'll be fine. If it doesn't run Roblox, that's a bonus. 

It's a fucking chunky tablet mind so I wouldn't pay too much attention to that idea.