Internet Service Providers

Christmas Tree

I had a load of problems with Plusnet, probably down to their shitty router which they refused to replace so I switched to BT and it's been perfect since getting it in. £32 a month including BT Sport and getting about 40 mbps which is plenty for me.

59 minutes ago, strawb said:

I’ve always had BT and they have been decent. I pay £50 a month for some nerdy super speeds or some shit though.

If the router is dropping WiFi, change the router? Or your house could have dead spots? 

Its the Haweii hg633 router and google is full of the same issue with it. I begrudge paying £150 - £200 for a good router. Annoying as I have a BT HomeHub 5 sitting there but it’s locked to BT. I have read you can use it as a bridge for WiFi so I might give that a try first.

38 minutes ago, ewerk said:

Also, part of the reason that I went with BT is that they will cover any early termination charges from your existing provider up to £300.

Aye, that’s whats leading my decision. I’m having a little flirt with Sky TV but can’t justify the cost given all the other free options. 

Virgin are great when it works but shit when there's problems but I get the impression that's universal. 

Actually if you're lucky enough to get through to the techies in Widnes or some other Lancashire shit hole then they're brilliant, get India and you're fucked. 

7 minutes ago, NJS said:

Virgin are great when it works but shit when there's problems but I get the impression that's universal. 

Actually if you're lucky enough to get through to the techies in Widnes or some other Lancashire shit hole then they're brilliant, get India and you're fucked. 

They're far more effective if you talk to them on twitter than on the phone when there are service issues.

I’m with Virgin and it’s sound 90% of the time but, like NJS says, when it drops, it drops like a stone. What’s worse is they’ll go through their little troubleshooting sheet every single time, even when it’s been established it isn’t anything on there that’s the issue. 

Also, our area had a “fault” that was fixed one week and then they were back out to fix it again I.e. one of their engineers fucked up and they had to scramble an excuse together.

On 01/02/2018 at 14:34, Gemmill said:

Pretty sure you were told at the time that Talk Talk were brutal. Another case of asking advice and ignoring it. 

In short, I'm pleased that you've had a terrible experience with them. 

I'm pretty sure I told him they were fucking cacka, like. :lol:

• 4 weeks later...
On 02/02/2018 at 00:15, Christmas Tree said:

Well I haven’t picked yet but I never had any problems with BT and going with them would take care of my £150.00 termination fee.

Other than your set up fiasco have you had problems with BT?

What I don’t understand is that (like electric or gas), they mostly all use the same infrastructure so actual end use should not very greatly between the likes of infinity 2 or Sky Max.

Judging by google, my issues seem to revolve around talk-talks shit router which drops WiFi.

Not quite.  Normally openreach engineers are dispatched via your ISP to fix issues from home to exchange but the bigger ISPs unbundle the exchanges,  thus using their own infrastructure.

But an ISPs customer service makes it worthwhile, especially if you have an issue. Talk Talk are well known to have horrific customer support.

17 minutes ago, Holden McGroin said:

Not quite.  Normally openreach engineers are dispatched via your ISP to fix issues from home to exchange but the bigger ISPs unbundle the exchanges,  thus using their own infrastructure.

But an ISPs customer service makes it worthwhile, especially if you have an issue. Talk Talk are well known to have horrific customer support.

As it happens my BT router is getting delivered today (fingers crossed).  As I still have my old BT router from last year I’m hoping to utilise 2 in the house. I’ve read something about using it to extend your WiFi.

Regardless just ecstatic to be free of Talk Talk.

2 minutes ago, Christmas Tree said:

As it happens my BT router is getting delivered today (fingers crossed).  As I still have my old BT router from last year I’m hoping to utilise 2 in the house. I’ve read something about using it to extend your WiFi.

Regardless just ecstatic to be free of Talk Talk.

Life's what you make it, CT.