Winter Olympics 2018

Ayatollah Hermione

2 hours ago, ewerk said:

Tooner, your girls took a hell of a beating...

I heard, its on at weird times here, so i've been paying attention after the fact.  i really want to see the men's ski-cross, its similar to short track in that there is carnage owing to the fact that its 4 at once down the course.

2 hours ago, Alex said:

:lol: Pamela Anderson, Neil Young, Wayne Gretzky, Bryan Adams, Justin Bieber, Mark Carney....

i've always been terrible at these, what's their connection?

31 minutes ago, tooner said:

i've always been terrible at these, what's their connection?

You'd be unlikey to ever have heard about it but it's a reference to a famous incident of a Norwegian commentator going mental after they beat England at football back in the early 80s.

It would barely raise an eyebrow now like :lol:

1 hour ago, Alex said:

You'd be unlikey to ever have heard about it but it's a reference to a famous incident of a Norwegian commentator going mental after they beat England at football back in the early 80s.

It would barely raise an eyebrow now like :lol:

hahaha, makes more sense now.

2 hours ago, Sonatine said:

As a Canadian this really bothers me, i mean i get that you are disappointed, but ffs, put on your big girl pants and show some class.

Edited by tooner
  • Like 1

On 2/19/2018 at 16:36, Alex said:

I know. She’s the first ever athlete to compete as a skier and snowboarder in an Olympic Games. 

https://www.powder.com/stories/news/czech-snowboarder-makes-olympic-history-gold-skiing-snowboarding/?sm_id=organic_fb_social_PWDR_180226_sf183038631#sf183038631

missed this, but she won her snowboarding event as well.

2 hours ago, Ant said:

in fairness this happens a fair bit in footy , cup finals and such lads getting the medal and taking it off as they walk away

I get it in pro sports, but not when you're representing your country. Don't be a sore loser, you've just won an olympic medal, not the colour she was hoping for but so what.  to be fair she came out afterword and apologised.

this is a good read, we in the GWN sometimes take ourselves too seriously.

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/olympics/how-did-canadian-olympians-become-the-ugly-americans/article38108066/

Edited by tooner

17 hours ago, tooner said:

Yeah, I saw that. What an absolute star. Fantastic achievement. Her reaction when she won the Super G was probably the best bit of the whole Games as well.

13 hours ago, tooner said:

I get it in pro sports, but not when you're representing your country. Don't be a sore loser, you've just won an olympic medal, not the colour she was hoping for but so what.  to be fair she came out afterword and apologised.

this is a good read, we in the GWN sometimes take ourselves too seriously.

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/olympics/how-did-canadian-olympians-become-the-ugly-americans/article38108066/

Odd that you failed to win Curling or Ice Hockey medals but still had such a successful games.

6 hours ago, Alex said:

Odd that you failed to win Curling or Ice Hockey medals but still had such a successful games.

The Canadian Government has been putting large amounts of money into amateur sport, seems to be working.