Bournemouth Vs NEWCASTLE UNITED 24/02/2018 vitality stadium KO 300pm

Tdansmith

I am still trying to work out what the point of Perez is.  He was weak as piss in that game.  If he spent as much time in the gym as he does fixing his hair, he would be a much better player and may be able to stand up.

1 hour ago, RobinRobin said:

I am still trying to work out what the point of Perez is.  He was weak as piss in that game.  If he spent as much time in the gym as he does fixing his hair, he would be a much better player and may be able to stand up.

You mean other than the assist on the 2nd goal? I know people love to hate him but he wasn’t the issue on Saturday.

I'm a Shelvey fan.  Great vision, a player with great ability.  He can be lazy, but no where near as much as he used to be.  However, he wants locking up for that miss to make it 0-3.  I said on twitter and to everyone around me, we were fucked at 0-2 due to the complete change of attitude, and game plan.  Deservedly 2-0 up at half time, lucky to get a draw at full time.

It feels a bit like a defeat but I suppose if you'd offered 4 points before the Man Utd game everyone would've been delighted. It's funny how the perspective changes when you're so close and emotionally invested. I would guess a lot non-NUFC fans will look at where we are and think we're doing ok and will probably stay up. It's a bit like how you look at Sunderland and they might still be ok and stay up but if we were in a similar situation we'd be certain we were absolutely fucked. It's a shame because we'd be within touching distance of safety if we'd hung on, but it's still looking quite dicey. I think the run we've been on is promising though and we just need to show the commitment we've shown over the last 10 games or so. It's fucking crackers that Ashley has even left us in this position though as a bit more funds to someone with Rafa's connections and it we could've been sat with enough points to stay up already.

• Like 1

Gutting as it was, the way I looked at it was a point was a decent result before the game. And that's how we have to treat it going forward.

Just think if we'd defended like we did against Man Utd, or even the Palace game before, we'd have held on. Bournemouth were barely exerting any pressure til the last 10 mins.

The worrying thing is that looking at the remaining 10 matches, where do we pick up the 10 to 12 points we'll need for safety? We play at Liverpool and Spurs, host Chelsea the last match. Only wins I can see realistically are hosting Southampton, Huddersfield, and West Brom. Having the extra 2 points this weekend would have been a bit of a relief looking forward.

(edit)

Just saw your post @rogerbarton in the other thread, rational and makes me feel a bit better....

Edited by Graing

That recent article from the Beeb (iirc) that had supposedly ran just about every possible scenario claimed that 37 points would alsmost certainly be enough to keep you up this year (and 34 or less would almost certainly see you relegated).

12 hours ago, McFaul said:

I'm a Shelvey fan.  Great vision, a player with great ability.  He can be lazy, but no where near as much as he used to be.  However, he wants locking up for that miss to make it 0-3.  I said on twitter and to everyone around me, we were fucked at 0-2 due to the complete change of attitude, and game plan.  Deservedly 2-0 up at half time, lucky to get a draw at full time.

We saw the best of Shelvey and the worst (setting aside his indiscretions) in the one game. It was almost as though the first half inflated his ego to the point where he didn't feel the need to put in the effort in the second half.

22 hours ago, Graing said:

You mean other than the assist on the 2nd goal? I know people love to hate him but he wasn’t the issue on Saturday.

I knew that would be brought up, and fair play to him, but it was only an assist because their keeper failed to stop something which he would do 99 times out of 100.  And I accept he runs about a lot.

However, he is too easily pushed off the ball, fails to pass when he should, and misses sitters.  Apart from that, he is not the worst player I have ever seen play for Newcastle, but as I am so old, that is not much of a compliment.

21 hours ago, Alex said:

It feels a bit like a defeat but I suppose if you'd offered 4 points before the Man Utd game everyone would've been delighted. It's funny how the perspective changes when you're so close and emotionally invested. I would guess a lot non-NUFC fans will look at where we are and think we're doing ok and will probably stay up. It's a bit like how you look at Sunderland and they might still be ok and stay up but if we were in a similar situation we'd be certain we were absolutely fucked. It's a shame because we'd be within touching distance of safety if we'd hung on, but it's still looking quite dicey. I think the run we've been on is promising though and we just need to show the commitment we've shown over the last 10 games or so. It's fucking crackers that Ashley has even left us in this position though as a bit more funds to someone with Rafa's connections and it we could've been sat with enough points to stay up already.

Aye

If we werent picking up these draws I would be a lot more concerned.

20 hours ago, Graing said:

host Chelsea the last match.

If Chelsea have already secured top 4 by the final day then I fancy us to do them at SJP. Something wrong about this current Chelsea squad, if they can't be arsed they don't bother. They wanted Mourinho gone and finished 10th the other year.

16 minutes ago, ewerk said:

You reckon he got someone to do his knee in to avoid criticism?

Nope, he just made the injury up to save face.

You can't be that naive to think that type of thing doesn't go on ?

If he had an injury that impacted his ability to contribute defensively (he still appeared to be well enough to travel forwards) he should have called it out and he could have been subbed instead of Ritchie. Either way he's to blame for his shit defensive contribution.