Education Failure

NJS

Actually, it may sound naff, but I can foresee a Rodenberry Star Trek-like utopia happening eventually, almost certainly when I'm dead like. I hope so anyway.

85360[/snapback]

Next time I tell you you should be in a straitjacket, THIS is why, ok? Star Trek!?

85366[/snapback]

I'm not talking about warping around space meeting aliens, I'm referring to a unified planet not divided by superstitious nonsense, you dickweed!

You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one... ;)

85370[/snapback]

:lol:

And yet I'M the fucking dickweed! :unsure: Beam me up Renty. :razz:

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I noticed in this thread people touched upon one of my favourite topics:

The way religious people happilly (and arrogamtly) state their faith, their god and their set of beliefs as incotrovertable truth (despite no evidence whatsoever) yet ridicule the very idea that Norse/Greek/Roman/Aztec etc. gods could possibly be anything other than made up stories!

I'll tell you one thing that IS different between Norse, greek etc. stuff and christianity/islam/judaism, the greek and norse stuff is interesting, worth reading about, makes more sense if anything and is something i would have loved to do in school!

Tbh if we'd been brought up with Norse mythology i may have become a believer and be knockign all you atheist heathens! :lol:

I'll tell you one thing that IS different between Norse, greek etc. stuff and christianity/islam/judaism, the greek and norse stuff is interesting, worth reading about, makes more sense if anything and is something i would have loved to do in school!

85432[/snapback]

In my first year of seniors we did "Classical Studies" which was mainly greek mythology - it was interesting but in the second year they split us so that the better pupils did Latin and the rest continued with the Classical stuff - I suffered latin for a year. Having said that it was just the same as learning french (and of course similar in many ways) but it was devalued as we knew it was "dead".

I'd recommend for anyone who likes Sci-Fi "Illium" and "Olympos" by Dan Simmons - its set in the future but the plot involves the seige of Troy and all the Greek Gods who use science to dazzle the mortals.

The way religious people happilly (and arrogamtly) state their faith, their god and their set of beliefs as incotrovertable truth (despite no evidence whatsoever) yet ridicule the very idea that Norse/Greek/Roman/Aztec etc. gods could possibly be anything other than made up stories!

Tbh if we'd been brought up with Norse mythology i may have become a believer and be knockign all you atheist heathens!  :unsure:

85432[/snapback]

Tolerance is a wonderful thing! :lol: Not all people who practice a faith ridicule the idea of the other Gods, you know.

Edited by catmag

Tbh if we'd been brought up with Norse mythology i may have become a believer and be knockign all you atheist heathens!  :unsure:

85432[/snapback]

Tolerance is a wonderful thing! :lol: Not all people who practice a faith ridicule the idea of the other Gods, you know.

85448[/snapback]

Fair enough, i could have phrased it better than implying they all do it, when they don't.

But try suggesting there's nothing different between ancient religions and theirs in an argument with strictly religious people and it doesn't go down well! ;)

You only believe in all that Norse mythology shite because it's the only way you can rationalise how you ended up as an elf tbh. :lol:

85473[/snapback]

The elves are a naturally tall and elegant race, i think you'll find i'm a dwarf from norse mythology :unsure:

Hob-goblin

85478[/snapback]

Traditional local fairy tales of Britain say hobgoblins were 1 or 2 feet tall, hairy, and naked or wearing brown clothes. They lived by the fire and rarely went outside. They were described as friendly, impish, ugly, mischievous, good-humored, helpful, mean, grotesque, and fond of practical jokes. If annoyed, they would turn nasty.

We have a winner! :lol:

Traditional local fairy tales of Britain say hobgoblins were 1 or 2 feet tall, hairy, and naked or wearing brown clothes. They lived by the fire and rarely went outside. They were described as friendly, impish, ugly, mischievous, good-humored, helpful, mean, grotesque, and fond of practical jokes. If annoyed, they would turn nasty.

SLP tbh.