Souleymane Diawara

Scottish Mag

Newcastle target Souleymane Diawara is hoping to win a move to England before the close of the transfer window.

Reports emanating from France claim Newcastle have joined the chase for the highly-rated centre back.

The Magpies have struggled at the back this season and Graeme Souness is looking at ways to shore up his leaky backline.

A number of clubs are monitoring Diawara after a number of impressive performances for Sochaux this season.

Diawara, who is currently on African Cup of Nations duty with Senegal, has set his heart on a move to England.

"I want to come to England," Diawara told skysports.com. "I have decided I want to play in The Premiership and I believe I have the game suited for English football.

"Any club that signs me will not be let down."

The player's agent Willie McKay revealed he was speaking to a plethora of clubs about Diawara after Sochaux indicated they could let him leave.

Sochaux were determined to keep Diawara, but could let him move on loan with a view to a permanent move at the end of the loan switch.

Lyon are thought to be hoping to keep the 27-year-old in France, but a number of Premiership clubs are bidding to lure him to England.

"We are looking at different options regarding Diawara," McKay told skysports.com.

"Sochaux have indicated they could loan him out as long as the move becomes permanent after that.

"I am speaking to six or seven clubs and Lyon are interested in him, but Diawara has his sights set on a move to England."

:lol:

This needs to be looked into. How many of Souness's signings haven't been represented by Dick McKay?

Edited by Sima