Reference problems

Smooth Operator

Applying for a job and have to put the usual work reference down, only trouble is my line manager is a cunt and we have a mutual hatred of each other, and then my counter-signing manager above her if her best mate and who I also share an incredible hatred of! :lol:

What the fuck will I do?

I've comtemplated putting or HR departments address down, or was thinking of ringing an old line manager and asking him to pretend he's my current manager! But that has the potential to go tits up. :unsure:

have a word with the manager, remind her that if she gives you a shocking refwerence it's likely that you'll have to stay longer. But if she is fair you can be out of each others hair.

Go over her head. Tell her boss that in light of recent developments and her thinking you slagged her off in an email (which you did :lol: )you're not sure you can expect a fair reference.

Having said that, every company I've worked for has a standard letter that basically says what your name is, how long you worked there, how many sick days you took etc. They aren't prepared to say whether you're a good worker or not, because if you were to go somewhere, nick a load of money or whatever, there could be legal repercussions for the company that gave you the reference.

Go over her head.  Tell her boss that in light of recent developments and her thinking you slagged her off in an email (which you did :lol: )you're not sure you can expect a fair reference.

Having said that, every company I've worked for has a standard letter that basically says what your name is, how long you worked there, how many sick days you took etc.  They aren't prepared to say whether you're a good worker or not, because if you were to go somewhere, nick a load of money or whatever, there could be legal repercussions for the company that gave you the reference.

84879[/snapback]

I'm sure that last sentence is bollocks like Gemmill. ;)

Obviously YOU just got the standard "we can't be arsed to remember who he is" type letter. :unsure:

Go over her head.  Tell her boss that in light of recent developments and her thinking you slagged her off in an email (which you did :lol: )you're not sure you can expect a fair reference.

Having said that, every company I've worked for has a standard letter that basically says what your name is, how long you worked there, how many sick days you took etc.  They aren't prepared to say whether you're a good worker or not, because if you were to go somewhere, nick a load of money or whatever, there could be legal repercussions for the company that gave you the reference.

84879[/snapback]

I'm sure that last sentence is bollocks like Gemmill. :razz:

Obviously YOU just got the standard "we can't be arsed to remember who he is" type letter. :unsure:

84899[/snapback]

The company I worked for in both the US and over here did that with their references for exactly that reason. You weren't allowed to give personal references for people that made reference to your position within the company because they didn't want their name attributed to it for the reasons I've given. FACT!

And you don't get to be in the lofty position I hold in the financial world by being the bloke no one remembers. ;)

84879[/snapback]

I'm sure that last sentence is bollocks like Gemmill. B)

84899[/snapback]

The company I worked for in both the US and over here did that with their references for exactly that reason. You weren't allowed to give personal references for people that made reference to your position within the company because they didn't want their name attributed to it for the reasons I've given. FACT!

And you don't get to be in the lofty position I hold in the financial world by being the bloke no one remembers. ;)

84914[/snapback]

Usually I've been allowed to see my references, and they have gone into details about honesty, being hard-working etc. Infact usually, my references have been so good I suspected they had the wrong person! Admittedly, I have never worked for a big accountancy firm like. :razz: But I'm fairly sure a person's ex-company could not be held responsible for the future conduct of their ex-employee mind.

For the record S-O, it is highly unusual for someone to give an actively "bad" reference. It's what they don't say that matters in my experience, although Gemmill obviously disagrees.....

84879[/snapback]

I'm sure that last sentence is bollocks like Gemmill. B)

84899[/snapback]

84914[/snapback]

Usually I've been allowed to see my references, and they have gone into details about honesty, being hard-working etc. Infact usually, my references have been so good I suspected they had the wrong person! Admittedly, I have never worked for a big accountancy firm like. :razz: But I'm fairly sure a person's ex-company could not be held responsible for the future conduct of their ex-employee mind.

For the record S-O, it is highly unusual for someone to give an actively "bad" reference. It's what they don't say that matters in my experience, although Gemmill obviously disagrees.....

84926[/snapback]

I'm just telling you what I was told, Rumpole!

Gemmill is right - most companies are very careful about references these days - but that doesn't stop someone making a quiet phone call

I'd tell your new employers that you have real trouble with your boss and think you might get an unfair reference - give them the names of other people in the company to call and give them names for other places you've worked

Most people have been in the same place

Rob likes to sum every fat ginger robot up in one little soundbite tbh

84941[/snapback]

Entirely appropriate on this occasion tbh.

84945[/snapback]

Except you're not ginger, you're strawberry blonde :lol:

84981[/snapback]

Not fat either mate. It's just these muppets are all jealous of my devastating good looks. That's another FACT for you all btw.

Not fat either mate.  It's just these muppets are all jealous of my devastating good looks.  That's another FACT for you all btw.

84994[/snapback]

:unsure:

...just...plain....funny

:lol:

Not fat either mate.  It's just these muppets are all jealous of my devastating good looks.  That's another FACT for you all btw.

84994[/snapback]

...just...plain....funny

84996[/snapback]

What was that? I couldn't hear anything above the sound of wobbling jowls. ;):razz:

Applying for a job and have to put the usual work reference down, only trouble is my line manager is a cunt and we have a mutual hatred of each other, and then my counter-signing manager above her if her best mate and who I also share an incredible hatred of!  :unsure:

What the fuck will I do?

I've comtemplated putting or HR departments address down, or was thinking of ringing an old line manager and asking him to pretend he's my current manager! But that has the potential to go tits up.  ;)

84836[/snapback]

Managers within DWP and IR etc are not allowed to give references, they should all go to HR anyway who issue the standard "Smooth Operator worked here and has no disciplinary proceedings against him"

or in your case...."Smooth Operator is a lazy twat"

Managers within DWP and IR etc are not allowed to give references, they should all go to HR anyway who issue the standard "Smooth Operator worked here and has no disciplinary proceedings against him"

84998[/snapback]

Can anyone spot a problem there? :lol:

;)

84998[/snapback]

Can anyone spot a problem there? :unsure:

85002[/snapback]

Another audible "D'oh!" from SO. :lol:

84994[/snapback]

...just...plain....funny

84996[/snapback]

What was that? I couldn't hear anything above the sound of wobbling jowls. ;):razz:

84997[/snapback]

And so this thread becomes yet another chapter in the ongoing Gemmill-Fish saga:

-You're fat!

-No you're fat!

-No you're fat!

etc etc