"HOWAY THE SWEDE"

Optimistic Nut

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The Express are running this story as well - with the famed "club source" saying that we would be very interested in Sven. His wages would be massive though, you would think, and there would be better offers coming in from abroad, I'm sure. If he wants to come to the Prem though, outside of the big teams (who aren't looking to change their manager) we must be a pretty good bet.

Although I don't imagine for a second there's any substance to these stories at this stage.

The Express are running this story as well - with the famed "club source" saying that we would be very interested in Sven.  His wages would be massive though, you would think, and there would be better offers coming in from abroad, I'm sure.  If he wants to come to the Prem though, outside of the big teams (who aren't looking to change their manager) we must be a pretty good bet.

Although I don't imagine for a second there's any substance to these stories at this stage.

85072[/snapback]

Think that's what O-N was referring to. As soon as I read "The Scum", I though it was the Sun and had a butchers on their website. Found nothing...

Saw that the express were running with it from the BBC gossip page.

My verdict (:lol:) - he'd be a shit appointment. Massively over-rated with a very average CV, no passion, no flair, and he would cost a fortune. Plus he is a PR disaster, and has possibly the worst taste in women ever. Plus I think he's a boring twat to boot - may I be the first to say fuck off Sven!

Renton's already register his pre-emptive "Erickson Out!" the other day, which means he's officially afforded Erickson less time than he did Souness.

85106[/snapback]

:lol:

I'd be right about him too Gemmill; hopefully it'll never happen.

Edit: btw Gemmill, if we appointed a manager who you thought wasn't right for the club, would you say so, or would you just give him the standard 2 years unfaltering support?

Edited by Renton

My verdict (:unsure:) - he'd be a shit appointment. Massively over-rated with a very average CV, no passion, no flair, and he would cost a fortune. Plus he is a PR disaster, and has possibly the worst taste in women ever. Plus I think he's a boring twat to boot - may I be the first to say fuck off Sven!

85107[/snapback]

I think you're wrong about him being a PR disaster. The bloke was hounded by the English press more than any previous English manager, simply because he was foreign. Ignoring his private life (what concern is it of ours?), in his professional responsibilities he would seem a good choice - there'd certainly be no "jobs for the boys".

Agree about him costing a fortune though.

I can't believe you'd turn your nose up at Sven because he has no flair, but your first choice is Captain Longball, Martin O'Neill. :lol:

My verdict (;)) - he'd be a shit appointment. Massively over-rated with a very average CV, no passion, no flair, and he would cost a fortune. Plus he is a PR disaster, and has possibly the worst taste in women ever. Plus I think he's a boring twat to boot - may I be the first to say fuck off Sven!

85107[/snapback]

You using that as a reason to scrub him off the list? :lol:

Mrs Mourinho is no stunner like.... :unsure:

Renton's already register his pre-emptive "Erickson Out!" the other day, which means he's officially afforded Erickson less time than he did Souness.

85106[/snapback]

:unsure:

I'd be right about him too Gemmill; hopefully it'll never happen.

Edit: btw Gemmill, if we appointed a manager who you thought wasn't right for the club, would you say so, or would you just give him the standard 2 years unfaltering support?

85108[/snapback]

I'm gonna try and just be negative from the beginning. It's brought you and Leazes Mag nothing but misery over the last 18 months, and I fancy that lifestyle. :lol:

My verdict (:unsure:) - he'd be a shit appointment. Massively over-rated with a very average CV, no passion, no flair, and he would cost a fortune. Plus he is a PR disaster, and has possibly the worst taste in women ever. Plus I think he's a boring twat to boot - may I be the first to say fuck off Sven!

85107[/snapback]

I think you're wrong about him being a PR disaster. The bloke was hounded by the English press more than any previous English manager, simply because he was foreign. Ignoring his private life (what concern is it of ours?), in his professional responsibilities he would seem a good choice - there'd certainly be no "jobs for the boys".

I can't believe you'd turn your nose up at Sven because he has no flair, but your first choice is Captain Longball, Martin O'Neill. :lol:

85112[/snapback]

Ericksson plays horrible negative football even though he has some of the best players in the planet available to him - what do you imagine he will be like here? O'Neill on the other hand has the intelligence to play his team according to the players' ability, he has proved he can work with little money. Besides, I think accusing him of playing the long ball game doesn't really stand up to analysis; at least not the games I have watched. I reckon you're just repeating a tired cliche without having a clue whether it's true or not. I think a lot of people criticise Allerdyce quite unfairly for the same misperception.

When appointing a manager, to me the most important thing to look at is their CV - a difficult concept for some it seems, since we ended up with Souness last time and some supported that appointment ;). Ericksson's CV doesn't impress me at all from what I can remember, although if he is ever truly in the frame for the Newcastle job I will study it more closely.

My verdict (;)) - he'd be a shit appointment. Massively over-rated with a very average CV, no passion, no flair, and he would cost a fortune. Plus he is a PR disaster, and has possibly the worst taste in women ever. Plus I think he's a boring twat to boot - may I be the first to say fuck off Sven!

85107[/snapback]

I can't believe you'd turn your nose up at Sven because he has no flair, but your first choice is Captain Longball, Martin O'Neill. :unsure:

85112[/snapback]

Ericksson plays horrible negative football even though he has some of the best players in the planet available to him - what do you imagine he will be like here? O'Neill on the other hand has the intelligence to play his team according to the players' ability, he has proved he can work with little money. Besides, I think accusing him of playing the long ball game doesn't really stand up to analysis; at least not the games I have watched. I reckon you're just repeating a tired cliche without having a clue whether it's true or not. I think a lot of people criticise Allerdyce quite unfairly for the same misperception.

When appointing a manager, to me the most important thing to look at is their CV - a difficult concept for some it seems, since we ended up with Souness last time and some supported that appointment :razz:. Ericksson's CV doesn't impress me at all from what I can remember, although if he is ever truly in the frame for the Newcastle job I will study it more closely.

85118[/snapback]

Erickson gets results. Regardless of what you think of his style of play, that much is undeniable. I'd be happy to have some of that. I don't watch Scottish football, but I wouldn't fancy watching a team that played like O'Neill's Leicester every week. :lol: As for Allardyce - the football Bolton play is pretty dire for the most part, but again, he gets results, so you can't really argue with it.

Study Erickson's CV tonight and provide me with a report. I want it in my PMs by tomorrow morning. And smarten yourself up, T-shirt boy! B)

He's got quite a good CV, has he not?

Plus we'd get Beckham, and Owen would stay :lol:

85119[/snapback]

It's one hell of a lot better than Souness's, true. But from what I remember before England it mainly consists of a couple of cups in Italy and winning Serie A with Lazio; but the club was loaded at the time. I'm not impressed with what he has done with England. Basically, he doesn't justify his wages imo, and intuitively, I don't think he would succeed here, just not the right person for the job.

He won the UEFA cup with Gothenburg, which was unexpected, and has won Serie A, the Cup Winners Cup, the Super Cup and the Italian Cup.

What more do you want? :lol:

85122[/snapback]

Didn't know about Gothenburg, that is quite impressive I suppose. I'm not going to participate in this thread any more unless it becomes clear he is a real candidate. :unsure:

He won the UEFA cup with Gothenburg, which was unexpected, and has won Serie A, the Cup Winners Cup, the Super Cup and the Italian Cup.

What more do you want? :unsure:

85122[/snapback]

Most successful England manager ever, in terms of results an'all.

Crap CV tbh. Where's the SPL Championship? That's what Renty baby's looking for. ;)

For a bloke that places so much emphasis on CVs, quite how you look at that and then look at O'Neill's and pick O'Neill is a mystery to me.

Also, Sven handled the pressure of the England job - there's tons of that as Newcastle manager. From what I've heard, O'Neill was a nightmare with the press a lot of the time as Celtic manager and struggled with the pressure (I appreciate that his wife's illness may have contributed) - if he struggled with the pressure of a two-horse race to the title, he may have one or two problems at Newcastle. :lol:

What more do you want? :lol:

85122[/snapback]

He also won the Portuguese double with Benfica, and got them to the UEFA Cup final in his first season in charge.