"HOWAY THE SWEDE"

Optimistic Nut

Thing is though Renton, Sven who you don't want, has a far superior record as a club manager.

85208[/snapback]

True, but it's still not the best. I feel O'Neill has achieved a lot considering the clubs he has been at, and is young enough to still have potential. For me, he hasn't really done anything "bad", and that's as important as being successful in patches.

Other than that call it gut instinct. :lol: Bet we end up with neither anyway.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Gothenburg

1979 - Swedish Cup Winners

1981 - Swedish League Champions

1982 - Swedish League Champions

1982 - UEFA Cup Winners

Benfica

1983 - Portuguese League Champions

1983- Portuguese Cup Winners

1984 - Portuguese League Champions

Roma

1986 - Italian Cup Winners

Benfica

1990 - Champions League Runners-Up

1991 - Portuguese League Champions

Sampdoria

1994 - Italian Cup Winners

Lazio

1998 - Italian Cup Winners

1999 - European Cup Winners' Cup Winners

2000 - Serie A Champions

Gothenburg

1982 - UEFA Cup Winners

Benfica

Roma

Benfica

Sampdoria

Lazio

2000 - Serie A Champions

85216[/snapback]

Erickson Out! We can do better! :lol:

Thing is though Renton, Sven who you don't want, has a far superior record as a club manager.

85208[/snapback]

True, but it's still not the best. I feel O'Neill has achieved a lot considering the clubs he has been at, and is young enough to still have potential. For me, he hasn't really done anything "bad", and that's as important as being successful in patches.

Other than that call it gut instinct. :lol: Bet we end up with neither anyway.

85215[/snapback]

As a club manager Sven's been very successful though, not just in patches. I agree with last sentence though.

My verdict (:unsure:) - he'd be a shit appointment. Massively over-rated with a very average CV, no passion, no flair, and he would cost a fortune. Plus he is a PR disaster, and has possibly the worst taste in women ever. Plus I think he's a boring twat to boot - may I be the first to say fuck off Sven!

85107[/snapback]

I think you're wrong about him being a PR disaster. The bloke was hounded by the English press more than any previous English manager, simply because he was foreign. Ignoring his private life (what concern is it of ours?), in his professional responsibilities he would seem a good choice - there'd certainly be no "jobs for the boys".

Agree about him costing a fortune though.

I can't believe you'd turn your nose up at Sven because he has no flair, but your first choice is Captain Longball, Martin O'Neill. :lol:

85112[/snapback]

Ericksson plays horrible negative football even though he has some of the best players in the planet available to him - what do you imagine he will be like here? O'Neill on the other hand has the intelligence to play his team according to the players' ability, he has proved he can work with little money. Besides, I think accusing him of playing the long ball game doesn't really stand up to analysis; at least not the games I have watched. I reckon you're just repeating a tired cliche without having a clue whether it's true or not. I think a lot of people criticise Allerdyce quite unfairly for the same misperception.

When appointing a manager, to me the most important thing to look at is their CV - a difficult concept for some it seems, since we ended up with Souness last time and some supported that appointment ;). Ericksson's CV doesn't impress me at all from what I can remember, although if he is ever truly in the frame for the Newcastle job I will study it more closely.

85118[/snapback]

i'm a fan of o'neil but he does favour 3 at the back, a big target man up front and a direct style of play.

tbh though i couldn't care if we're occasionally dull to watch. o'neil is a winner as is eriksson. neither set their teams out to play a free flowing brazilian style game, but i would happily sacrafice that for a manager that knows how to win a trophy or two.

chelsea are often boring to watch, precisely because you have to be if you want to succeed in the modern game. all the best managers build their team from the back. another highlight of souness's ineptitude....he rates the likes of bramble and elliot and he cained £8.5m on boumsong.

Gothenburg

1982 - UEFA Cup Winners

Benfica

Roma

Benfica

Sampdoria

Lazio

2000 - Serie A Champions

85216[/snapback]

So, in summary, over 26 years of management, he has won the UEFA cup, Serie A, and the cup winners cup, plus some worthless tat! We CAN do better than that! :lol:

Would fit in to our soap opera quite well tbh.

85147[/snapback]

FACT :lol:

85152[/snapback]

He could go whoring with Freddie and Dougie.

He would be a perfect match, we could get ourselves in the papers every day instead of every other!

Edited by NewJerseyMag

So, in summary, over 26 years of management, he has won the UEFA cup, Serie A, and the cup winners cup, plus some worthless tat! We CAN do better than that! :lol:

85231[/snapback]

Don't try and pretend you know anything about him :unsure: Incidenatlly, wasn't Sven the geezer (at Sampdoria) who played Des Walker at right-back?

Would fit in to our soap opera quite well tbh.

85147[/snapback]

FACT ;)

85152[/snapback]

He could go whoring with Freddie and Dougie.

He would be a perfect match, we could get ourselves in the papers every day instead of every other!

85233[/snapback]

There's a thought.... :unsure::lol:

He won the UEFA cup with Gothenburg, which was unexpected, and has won Serie A, the Cup Winners Cup, the Super Cup and the Italian Cup.

What more do you want? :lol:

85122[/snapback]

He also won the Portuguese double with Benfica, and got them to the UEFA Cup final in his first season in charge.

85127[/snapback]

He also took them to a Champions League Final.

He knows the Premiership probably more than anybody anywhere, and has a vast knowledge of European football. Along with Hitzfeld, he'd definitely be my choice.

Must admit, I never really watched Leicester or Wycombe like.

85191[/snapback]

With the pacey forward line of Heskey and Claridge there was only one way to play....Hooooooooof....

As for Celtic, they were also mostly big hoof, but Larson was/is a superb footballer who worked well with both Sutton and Hartson.

However, I'm not having ago at O'Neil for this type of football, because he'd get results from it by buying players who could play these roles well, which is why I wouldn't mind if he came here.

85197[/snapback]

How dare you forget Ian Marshall & Tony Cottee!

He also took them to a Champions League Final.

85296[/snapback]

In pre-Bosman times when there were only national Champions taking part.

At club level I only know Eriksson from his time with Sampdoria where he had a great team with Gullit, Lombardo, Platt and Mancini and was playing some decent stuff. I don't think he is doing too badly for England, but of course a lot of performances have not exactly been eye-catching. My biggest concern is the treatment of the tabloids (especially if England were to fail at this year's World Cup).

You can almost see the Sven Diamond Midfield now...

-------------------------------------------Nedved--------------------------------------------

-------------------------Emre-------------------------------Beckham-----------------------

-------------------------------------------Parker---------------------------------------------

:lol:

-------------------------------------------Nedved--------------------------------------------

-------------------------Emre-------------------------------Beckham-----------------------

-------------------------------------------Parker---------------------------------------------

85309[/snapback]

I can see them getting stiff necks watching Bramble's long balls aimed at a useless striker (Heskey/Crouch) up front...

85309[/snapback]

I can see them getting stiff necks watching Bramble's long balls aimed at a useless striker (Heskey/Crouch) up front...

85311[/snapback]

Don't forget James in goal no matter what and Phil Neville playing anywhere when we need to score a winner :unsure:

Sven looks to inspire his team by standing motionless on the touchline staring into the middle distance like a man at a funeral.

His inability to inspire players or to change things when England need to will see him found out the first time we come up against anyone half-decent in the World Cup.

Total cobblers, we'll be out in the quarter-finals - a combination of Sven's unadventurous tactics and uninspiring craic, and the fact that we simply aren't good enough at that level will see to it.

I wonder whether Sven'll try experimenting with his formations in friendlies from now on, instead of qualifiers, the fecking tit.

So Gemmill you reckon someone who, with players of Englands class let alone have the numptys we are fielding, is clueless when it comes to tactics and formations and isn`t much of a motivator in your own words.. :lol: is the right man for this club?

:unsure:

Sven looks to inspire his team by standing motionless on the touchline staring into the middle distance like a man at a funeral.

His inability to inspire players or to change things when England need to will see him found out the first time we come up against anyone half-decent in the World Cup.

Total cobblers, we'll be out in the quarter-finals - a combination of Sven's unadventurous tactics and uninspiring craic, and the fact that we simply aren't good enough at that level will see to it.

I wonder whether Sven'll try experimenting with his formations in friendlies from now on, instead of qualifiers, the fecking tit.

So Gemmill you reckon someone who, with players of Englands class let alone have the numptys we are fielding, is clueless when it comes to tactics and formations and isn`t much of a motivator in your own words.. :lol: is the right man for this club?

85376[/snapback]

Still better than MoN and GS

Gothenburg

1982 - UEFA Cup Winners

Benfica

Roma

Benfica

Sampdoria

Lazio

2000 - Serie A Champions

85216[/snapback]

He hasn't won the SPL or the cup in Turkey. Not a proper honours list.

So Gemmill you reckon someone who, with players of Englands class let alone have the numptys we are fielding, is clueless when it comes to tactics and formations and isn`t much of a motivator in your own words.. :unsure: is the right man for this club?

;)

85376[/snapback]

Correct, you sad bastard. :lol:

Listen the bloke has wound me up in the past as England coach, but he gets results, which above all, is what we need. And given the other people on the shortlist, I'd be very happy to have him at NUFC.

So Gemmill you reckon someone who, with players of Englands class let alone have the numptys we are fielding, is clueless when it comes to tactics and formations and isn`t much of a motivator in your own words.. ;) is the right man for this club?

:razz:

85376[/snapback]

Listen the bloke has wound me up in the past as England coach, but he gets results, which above all, is what we need. And given the other people on the shortlist, I'd be very happy to have him at NUFC.

85407[/snapback]

Wasnt hard to find, i remember all the Sven bashing that goes on after the majority of England games...

I can see why you want him though, as he certainly follows the tradition of your other favourite manager Mr Souness in being clueless about tactics and having terrible motivational skills... B)

So Gemmill you reckon someone who, with players of Englands class let alone have the numptys we are fielding, is clueless when it comes to tactics and formations and isn`t much of a motivator in your own words.. ;) is the right man for this club?

:razz:

85376[/snapback]

85407[/snapback]

Wasnt hard to find, i remember all the Sven bashing that goes on after the majority of England games...

I can see why you want him though, as he certainly follows the tradition of your other favourite manager Mr Souness in being clueless about tactics and having terrible motivational skills... B)

85412[/snapback]

Exactly. If I can't have Graeme, I want Sven. :rolleyes: