Souey Wants Top Striker

Barney

http://footballmsn.skysports.com/list.asp?...l=football_home

Graeme Souness has confirmed he would be interested in signing the likes of Mark Viduka and Michael Owen.

Newcastle United have been linked with offers for Middlesbrough striker Viduka and Real Madrid outcast Owen as Souness looks to bring in a new front man.

Souness is also chasing Fenerbahce's Nicolas Anelka but has yet to agree a deal for any of his attacking targets.

Though he did not confirm whether The Magpies had bid for Viduka or Owen, Souness conceded they are the type of player he is hoping to lure to St James' Park.

"Viduka, Anelka and Owen are all top strikers," commented Souness. "That's not my opinion - the facts speak for themselves.

"These are 20-goal a season strikers and that's the kind of players we should be attracting to this club.

"We obviously feel we are in need of firepower. I think we are not far away from being a very good squad of players.

"If we could get that quality of player we would have a very healthy squad. If there are new players to come in, hopefully we can get them in as soon as possible."

Souness has brought in Craig Moore in recent days and he is confident the Australia international will bolster an inexperienced defence.

He added: "If you defend properly in games, you don't always have to play well to win them.

"Craig will give us the experience I feel we missed at times last year. That is a position where you need experience."

Moore admits he had little hesitation in signing a two-year contract on Tyneside after leaving Borussia Monchengladbach at the end of last season.

"It was an easy decision," said Moore. "Newcastle are a massive club and The Premiership is the place any player would love to play.

"Obviously I didn't settle in Germany. The Premiership is always a place I would like to have played so I'm thankful I can get that opportunity."

Edited by Barney